PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hide Taskbar

tomreid
June 14th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Hi

I have never liked the traditional task bar at the bottom of the default Gnome screen. It reminds me too much of Windows!

I'm checking out Docky (which admittedly reminds me of OSX, but that's a happier memory....) and I quite like it.

But one of the reasons I like it is that I can make it hide when I don't want it, so that frees up screen area.

I found a way of hiding the task bar using the Config Editor, but when I put the mouse down on the bottom of the screen, both Docky and the Taskbar pop up.

I'd rather just hide the taskbar (or remove it) altogether, how do I do that?

cheers

radddi
June 14th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Well, even if you remove the Window List (by clicking on the three short stripes left of the open windows), you're still stick with the bottom Panel, which on a default configuration still holds the show desktop button, the trash can and workspace switcher. What you can do is remove the whole panel by right clicking on it and then hitting >> Delete this panel. You can always add new panels by right clicking the panel on top and hitting "New Panel".

.:CheerS:. and I hope I haven't tragically misunderstood you. :popcorn:

EDIT: Oh, and another handy feature is the "Show Hide Buttons" option (right-click >>> Show hide buttons). You get buttons on both sides of the Panel which hide it when you hit them. This is useful because you don't lose the whole panels.

tomreid
June 14th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks, that worked. I can't believe I forgot about adding and hiding panels, I can remember that concept back to when I used to use CDE when I worked at Sun.

cheers