PDA

View Full Version : packagekit killed my system :(

sandyd
June 14th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Last night, I was fooling around with the xorg stuff, and I accidentally made a packaging error. The next thing I knew, packagekit, due to https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unattended-upgrades/+bug/586497 removed EVERYTHING related to xorg, because the packaging error was causing anything related to xorg to become un-upgradable (there was some kind of xorg security upgrade that packagekit was trying to install). As a result, because of xorg removal, 75% of the stuff on my system was removed :(, left with 45 packages.

I managed to get networkmanager working again, after a little tinkering, and now reinstalling...

Frogs Hair
June 14th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Sorry to here it. Now ! about those glasses.........

NightwishFan
June 14th, 2010, 10:42 PM
I would be careful doing anything that might involve a dist-upgrade like behavior. If you do not have network manager running, you can use ifconfig and iwconfig to do networking.

madjr
June 14th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Last night, I was fooling around with the xorg stuff, and I accidentally made a packaging error. The next thing I knew, packagekit, due to https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unattended-upgrades/+bug/586497 removed EVERYTHING related to xorg, because the packaging error was causing anything related to xorg to become un-upgradable (there was some kind of xorg security upgrade that packagekit was trying to install). As a result, because of xorg removal, 75% of the stuff on my system was removed :(, left with 45 packages.

I managed to get networkmanager working again, after a little tinkering, and now reinstalling...

oopsies like this will be a thing of the past if we get btrfs snapshots implemented correctly

sandyd
June 15th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Sorry to here it. Now ! about those glasses.........
everyones been asking :D

I got bored, and decided to do some gimp work...

sandyd
June 15th, 2010, 12:59 AM
I would be careful doing anything that might involve a dist-upgrade like behavior. If you do not have network manager running, you can use ifconfig and iwconfig to do networking.
its actually becasue packagekit installs security updates automatically without asking the user.

NightwishFan
June 15th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Oh. Ewwww. I would use center/synaptic instead. That is what I do on Debian KDE.

mcooke1
June 15th, 2010, 04:19 AM
i
ts actually becasue packagekit installs security updates automatically without asking the user.

sandyd
June 15th, 2010, 09:13 PM
i
mine looks the same. however, packagekit doesn't seem to follow the settings set in kpackagekit

TheNessus
June 16th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I avoid GUI package managers in KDE. I either use apt-get or use synaptic if I want to read about some packages before installing.