PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Fresh install after perfectly good Ubuntu and oh my

Cavsfan
June 14th, 2010, 09:29 PM
The other day I somehow messed up my kernel after uninstalling a kernel I shouldn't have been messing with anyway.
It was a development kernel from a Meerkat thread and I thought I did everything OK, but all I got upon boot was
"need to load the kernel first". So, rather than asking a bunch of dumb questions, I just thought I would download
a new install iso and go from there. I had done it several times before and thought "what the heck",

(I jumped in on Lucid in development around beta and was very happy with the way it worked. I had it setup
exactly the way I wanted it. And I LOVED IT!)

So, now no matter what I do I cannot get the Min. Max. Close buttons to appear on either side right or left!
And I know more than one way to do it including the gfconfig wrong way. I cannot use Alt-Tab to switch between
apps and I have tried System > Preferences > Keyboard shortcuts, but to no avail.
I cannot move windows by clicking on the top and holding the mouse button down or anything! :confused:

I had a very nice Lucid Lynx setup and if I had not seen that and was starting out with this, I would definitely
have serious thoughts about whether to continue using Ubuntu...

I just cannot understand why and where the HUGE difference between what I had and what I now have has occurred!
I felt like I had learned a lot about Ubuntu and could figure out a lot and now I feel like an ignorant moron.

I dual boot w7 and this and I had spent very little time on w7 in the last month or so, but right about now, it is looking pretty good...
And I hate to even hear myself say that...

Cavsfan
June 14th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Wait a minute. I think I may have something figured out here...
Be right back...

fallenshadow
June 14th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Try this!

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

It includes an easy way to move the buttons to the right hand side.

Cavsfan
June 14th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Try this!

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

It includes an easy way to move the buttons to the right hand side.

Thanks, but I had already tried that about a dozen times. That's what I did initially to move them to the right.
Then everything just went to heck! I do not know why, but now everything is just peachy!!!

I had a custom grub2 screen that I didn't have to maintain that a very knowledgeable guy named Ranch Hand helped me set up.
I think I made the mistake of not letting the system see all of the grub files before I made them unexecutable
via the chmod command.
That may have been the downfall or at least part of it.

A few minutes ago I set the attributes of /etc/grub.d/10_linux (the ones that pulls in the kernels to display on the grub2 splash screen)
to executable and rebooted and viola life was back to normal.
I had to try a couple other things before I could say it was fixed, but that apparently did it.

I wish I could ask a Mod. to just delete this thread! I hate when I start a thread and then figure out the error myself!

But, everything is back to normal in never never land!:lolflag: Or should I say Far Far Away!
I just wish I had saved my firefox bookmarks in HTML as firefox 3.6 does not read JSON files anymore.
What a mess that was!