PDA

View Full Version : 2d barcode readers for mobile phones

insane_alien
June 14th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I need to find a 2d barcode reader for my phone but most of the sites i go to keep trying to dump a load of viruses on my computer(luckily i'm on linux so i'm not worried). my phone is capable of java its a samsung GT-S5600 although it appears to be equivalent to a sanyo 5600.

anyway, the requirements:
it MUST be capable of reading datamatrix barcodes at the very least
it must be capable of running on my phone

prefferable but not strictly necessary:
be capable of reading other kinds of barcodes, QR, standard 1D, etc. more the merrier.
free as in beer and/or speech.

i'm going to keep looking but my time has been severely limited by a job and the pub.

insane_alien
June 16th, 2010, 05:44 PM
bumpity

McRat
June 16th, 2010, 05:52 PM
There are several companies doing this with iPhones, perhaps contact them and see if they have something for your phone?

spotted zebra
June 16th, 2010, 05:54 PM
just out of curiosity what do you want this application for?

insane_alien
June 16th, 2010, 06:05 PM
just out of curiosity what do you want this application for?

to read 2d barcodes obviously :P

but seriously, i'm part of a project at my work to implement a datamatrix barcode system for warehouse management. only, as its still early early development, we only have the one scanner and don't currently have budget for more. its a pain in the rear end to find out who had it last when you need it for soemthing.

being able to do it with my phone would be a lot more conveinient in these circumstances, all it has to do is display the data on the screen(its an alpha numeric string i can put into the computer).

the rest of the stuff is simply for curiosity, i've seen a number of 2d barcodes out 'in the wild' and they tend to be QR code.

the 1D barcode reading is also for convienience as the 2D barcodes need to be checked against the old 1D system.

Troublegum
June 16th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Maybe KAWA Reader? There's a java version available. Or I-Nigma perhaps?

insane_alien
June 16th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I-nigma is perfect, it reads them perfectly even if my camera work is a little shaky. cheers troublegum, you've just made my job 60% easier.

i had found another program just before this called upcode. but its terrible. it can read maybe 1 in 20 codes and can't handle 1-D barcodes or QR at all.