PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No Window Decorator

inhuman!!!
June 14th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I installed e16 for testing and after uninstalling it when I log into my gnome session I have no window decoration. I can have it back by reloading window manager from Fusion Icon, But every time I restart window decoration is gone. I just uninstalled e16 but I think after installing it it changed something somewhere and I don't know what.

limestone
June 14th, 2010, 08:20 PM
gnome's window manager is Metacity.. open a terminal and enter metacity or metacity --replace to se if it's still installed

inhuman!!!
June 14th, 2010, 08:23 PM
it is installed

limestone
June 14th, 2010, 08:28 PM
So it does appear.. Try open System-preferences-startup apps and create one for metacity, it should work.

inhuman!!!
June 14th, 2010, 08:30 PM
OK. I'll be back after restart to check it out. Thanks

inhuman!!!
June 14th, 2010, 08:36 PM
It worked, But It doesn't solve my problem. you see now only metacity works and for compiz to work I have to reload window manager again.
I don't think this is the solution.

limestone
June 14th, 2010, 08:38 PM
aaah.. you use a different window manager?? don't know how compiz manager works but emerald starts with emerald --raplace probably same with compiz..

inhuman!!!
June 14th, 2010, 08:43 PM
OK. I got it. instead of "metacity --replace" I should use "gtk-window-decorator --replace"
Thanks

Edit:
No. This was not the answer. I still have no window decorator after restart.

limestone
June 14th, 2010, 08:44 PM
OK. I got it. instead of "metacity --replace" I should use "gtk-window-decorator --replace"
Thanks
yep, just keep posting if it's not good.. And don't forget to mark post as solved when solved.

limestone
June 14th, 2010, 08:46 PM
yep, just keep posting if it's not good.. And don't forget to mark post as solved when solved.

inhuman!!!
June 14th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Sorry. It didnt work. I should check with other user to see if its system wide or just my profile.

inhuman!!!
June 14th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Root user doesnt have such problem. just noticed that after logging out of root and logging back to my user window decoration was working for a sec and then it was gone. I think something crashes.

eggdeng
June 14th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Seems to be a bit of a mix up here with window managers (metacity, compiz) which draw windows, and window decorators ( gtk-window-decorator, emerald) which draw the window border and close, minimize, maximize buttons.
If you don't have CCSM installed, install it (with plugins and emerald) with

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-fusion-plugins-extra emerald
Then in CompizConfig Settings Manager -> Window Decorator, change the default command to

/usr/bin/emerald
and restart gnome.

Edit: I just saw you have Fusion-Icon installed, so make sure you have emerald
sudo apt-get install emerald & this setting should be available from there.

inhuman!!!
June 15th, 2010, 02:22 AM
No. Thats not it. I think I have everything I nees. But installing e16 changed something in my window decorator setting and after removing it the settings are not changed back.
I didnt have any problem before.

nix-idioteque
June 15th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Hah, yes I did the exact same thing and what had fixed it for me was simply opening up appearance, visual effects and I dunno... It just searched for a driver and asked me if I wanted to change my settings. Fixed it on the spot