PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

JoshHendo
March 27th, 2006, 06:57 AM
I am looking into doing some programing for Ubuntu (so I can package deb files and distribute them). Though I want to know where to start. I have been working with comptuers all my life (well, bascially), I know some web programing languages (php) and Java. What I am trying to get to here is to say that I would be able to program, if I knew what language to program in, and then know how to package it as a deb file. So basically what I want to know is what language should I learn, where can I learn it (online hopefully) and how can I package that as a deb file when I write programs? Thanks!

toojays
March 27th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Your choice of language is not really critical. Choose the best language for the application you want to make. If you really can't decide, just use Python, since that's what the sabdfl wants to see everywhere.

As far as making packages goes, you should read the Debian New Maintainers guide, and learn how to use GNU Make. Once you have that background, the rest of packaging just involves examining packages which are similar to the package you want to make.