PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu for Tablet Edition, is it true?

panoet
June 14th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I heard a lot about Ubuntu will issue a special edition for the tablet. :guitar: Is it true?

Is there someone knows? :confused:

http://www.muylinux.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/iPad_Ubuntu-500x390.jpg

DrMelon
June 14th, 2010, 02:13 PM
That's a very obvious fake picture, but there is a tablet version being developed.

panoet
June 14th, 2010, 02:19 PM
That's a very obvious fake picture, but there is a tablet version being developed.

Is that means the news is true? Why Canonical not give official announcement about this :confused:

RiceMonster
June 14th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Is that means the news is true? Why Canonical not give official announcement about this :confused:

Perhaps it's too early to make an annoucement? Perhaps it's just a rumour?

NCLI
June 14th, 2010, 02:42 PM

They have (http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20100609/tc_pcworld/canonicaldevelopingubuntuosfortablets/print;_ylt=Aj7J6QYtlbvvRUBGTz6rOUfUart_;_ylu=X3oDM TBvajZzaTFyBHBvcwMxNQRzZWMDdG9wBHNsawNwcmludA--).

peccish
June 14th, 2010, 02:52 PM
According to this it is not true
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/14/ubuntu_tablet/

cbrunhaver
June 15th, 2010, 01:14 AM
I know that there are some ex-Apple higher-ups at Canonical and that Mark Shuttleworth has expressed admiration for the polish of OSX and apple products and I think that is great. I hope that instilling the value of a polished and simplified user experience is contagious in the linux dev community.

However, I hope that Canonical takes another cue from Apple and that is to appreciate their laser sharp product focus.

The linux for human beings should be 100% focused on making the best possible desktop linux experience bar none. Having Ubuntu Light / UNR, Server / Cloud, multiple DEs, tablet version dilutes the quality of each somewhat. I would love to see a single (or much more limited) offering with perfect execution and a sustainable revenue model (I will buy software through USC if it quality).

I was sad to see shotwell replacing F-spot because Ubuntu needs to put the user experience first and not ship beta or broken software ever! If that means changing to a 1+ dev cycle then so be it.

If they have to abandon some of the core die hard users in order to give this thing the kind of usability and polish it needs to succeed for the new linux user then I hope that decision is made.

Slightly OT but I hope they kill this tablet edition ASAP.

NightwishFan
June 15th, 2010, 01:29 AM
I am sure you could install the Netbook Edition (the launcher is great for touchscreens I am sure), and keep an onscreen keyboard up.

retro89
June 15th, 2010, 01:38 AM
I read in a article that they will release one sometime in 2011.

panoet
June 15th, 2010, 01:47 AM
So? What's the truth?

FuturePilot
June 15th, 2010, 01:47 AM
I am sure you could install the Netbook Edition (the launcher is great for touchscreens I am sure), and keep an onscreen keyboard up.

The launcher is, that's about it. The current desktop interface is extremely horrible on touch screens. If you're going to do touch screens, you need to come up with an interface that was designed with a touch screen in mind. Most applications currently are not.

NightwishFan
June 15th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Well, "as good as you can right now" was what I was going for. I believe KDE is working on some touch integration.

panoet
June 15th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Waiting for official announcement :popcorn:

kamaboko
June 15th, 2010, 03:19 AM
I heard that yesterday. It'll be called...Taboontu.

panoet
June 15th, 2010, 04:29 AM
I heard that yesterday. It'll be called...Taboontu.

Where you heard that? :KS

HappinessNow
June 15th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Android OS is a fully touch integrated Linux based OS, why not just use this as a base? Why try and reinvent the wheel?

NightwishFan
June 15th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Android OS is not mainline, but I am not sure if that matters.

panoet
June 16th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Android OS is a fully touch integrated Linux based OS, why not just use this as a base? Why try and reinvent the wheel?

Just curious about the truth. :popcorn: