PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgarde from Ubuntu 9.10 to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Bharath Kumar V
June 14th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Dear Friends,

I am posting this to get clarification over my doubts on upgrade from Ubuntu 9.10 to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

On going through the official Ubuntu documentation on 'General Upgrade Information' which is available on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes

Quote"
An upgrade is the process of going from an earlier version of Ubuntu to a newer version of Ubuntu with an installed system. An example of this would be going from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. To avoid damaging your running system, upgrading should only be done from one release to the next release (e.g. Ubuntu 9.04 to Ubuntu 9.10) or from one LTS release to the next (e.g. Ubuntu 6.06LTS to Ubuntu 8.04LTS). If you wish to 'skip' a version, you can backup your data and do a fresh installation, or progressively upgrade to each successive version. For example, to upgrade from Ubuntu 8.10 to Ubuntu 9.10, first upgrade to 9.04, then upgrade 9.04 to 9.10."
Unquote

I have the following doubts:

(i) If I am going to upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04 LTS, should I have to take a back up of my
existing data and the do the upgrade / update?

(ii) Instead of upgrading, should I have to install Ubuntu 10.04 afresh?

Please clarify

Thanks and regards
Bharath Kumar V

JohnL2009
June 14th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Always backup your data before doing anything. You should be ok to do the upgrade after backing up you data.

Bharath Kumar V
June 15th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the reply.