PDA

View Full Version : How do I make this image into a good wallpaper?

knidsrok
June 14th, 2010, 04:59 AM
I love the image, and think it's got great potential for my desktop wallpaper, but it's a bit too noisy and obtrusive at the moment. Icons get lost on it, or clash with it, and it would probably look way too messy if I tried to layer any conky over it.

My photoshop/gimp-fu is pretty weak. Anybody have any ideas for ways to modify this wallpaper to make it more of a good "background" image?

kevin11951
June 14th, 2010, 05:39 AM
I love the image, and think it's got great potential for my desktop wallpaper, but it's a bit too noisy and obtrusive at the moment. Icons get lost on it, or clash with it, and it would probably look way too messy if I tried to layer any conky over it.

My photoshop/gimp-fu is pretty weak. Anybody have any ideas for ways to modify this wallpaper to make it more of a good "background" image?

Wasn't sure what you meant, but I opened up GIMP, and gave it a shot...

Legendary_Bibo
June 14th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Wasn't sure what you meant, but I opened up GIMP, and gave it a shot...
Not to sound like a ****, but it looks like you didn't do anything.

kevin11951
June 14th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Not to sound like a ****, but it looks like you didn't do anything.

Open them both up in tabs, and look at them.

scouser73
June 14th, 2010, 05:59 AM

Here you go mate, I resized it to 1600x900.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2480/velvetwall.jpg

undecim
June 14th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I'll take a shot at it in gimp, but tell me a few things...

1: How many icons do you usually have on your desktop, and in what position? (a screenshot is worth a thousand words.)

2: Do you want to keep the papery feel like in your original image or more cleaned up like kevin posted?

schtufbox
June 14th, 2010, 07:16 AM
How about this?

t.rei
June 14th, 2010, 07:36 AM
thats actually pretty good. Seeing the original my thought was "too much contrast for a good background image" but yours, schtufbox, actually could work. nice one.

bigfootffk
June 14th, 2010, 07:40 AM
how about this...

undecim
June 14th, 2010, 07:45 AM
how about this...

IMHO, that could use a little less relief and a little more distant lighting. Pretty good, though