PDA

View Full Version : why does the Xbox 360 lack an internet browser?

Stancel
June 14th, 2010, 04:53 AM
doesn't this seem like a really dumb thing they forgot? the PS3 and Wii both have Internet browsers.

there's a way to download a browser for the 360 (but it wasn't made by Microsoft), but you need Windows (the 360 has Windows connectivity, but since I use Ubuntu exclusively I never got to be able to try it....)

It's really baffling. I prefer the Xbox 360 even though it's from Microsoft.

Oh wait....it's probably because they don't want to make Windows obsolete because people will no longer want to use a computer if they can browse the web on their Xbox. yep, their greed.

maybe I should consider myself lucky? Internet Explorer on the 360? *shudder*

McRat
June 14th, 2010, 05:39 AM
IIRC, there's a hack for it.

NightwishFan
June 14th, 2010, 05:42 AM
... because that would make sense.

Well the xbox360 is what shook my little faith in Microsoft.

schtufbox
June 14th, 2010, 07:11 AM
I'm still annoyed that you have to pay for Xbox live Gold membership to play many games online...
At least with the PS3 it costs nothing to play online..and it has a web browser :D

TheNerdAL
June 14th, 2010, 07:30 AM
I'm still annoyed that you have to pay for Xbox live Gold membership to play many games online...
At least with the PS3 it costs nothing to play online..and it has a web browser :D

But PS3 sucks, lol.

NightwishFan
June 14th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Thats descriptive. Any particular reason why.

markp1989
June 14th, 2010, 07:39 AM
I really want a browser for xbox, i dont really like ps3 because i find the controler way to small for my hands,

Lucradia
June 14th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Thats descriptive. Any particular reason why.

+1, I want to know why the PlayStation 3 sucks too. :|

I really want a browser for xbox, i dont really like ps3 because i find the controler way to small for my hands,

And I've gotten too used to controllers like the PlayStation controller.

Excedio
June 14th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Probably because it's...well...a gaming system and not a computer.

Personally, I think the question should be..."Why do the Wii and PS3 have a browser?"

squilookle
June 14th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I don't use the browser on the Wii that often, it is qyuite awkward. But there have been occasions either when the computer broke, or I needed information quickly and the Wii was there, that it did come in use.

I have found the iPlayer Channel on the Wii very useful this week though. :)

pwnst*r
June 14th, 2010, 01:51 PM
+1, I want to know why the PlayStation 3 sucks too. :|

^This.

Come on, NerdAl, let's hear it.

NCLI
June 14th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Probably because it's...well...a gaming system and not a computer.

Personally, I think the question should be..."Why do the Wii and PS3 have a browser?"

Because consoles are quickly becoming the computer in your living room.

^This.

Come on, NerdAl, let's hear it.
I'd also really like to hear it. I find the 360 and PS3 equals in terms of available games(Though the PS3 has more franchises I like), the PS3 slightly ahead in terms of graphics and AI, and the 360 slightly ahead when it comes to online.

I wouldn't say either of them "suck," that is a term I reserve for the Wii, although it really isn't fair to it since guys like me aren't its intended audience.

betrunkenaffe
June 14th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I wouldn't say either of them "suck," that is a term I reserve for the Wii, although it really isn't fair to it since guys like me aren't its intended audience.

Clearly the majority of people disagree with you.

http://hub.vgchartz.com/

All the consoles have their own reasons for "sucking". Personally I have a Wii and PS3, I enjoy both of them for different reasons. I find the Wii games to typically be easier to play and concentrate on "fun" while PS3 games are more challenging and pretty. I enjoy watching streaming videos from my computer as well.

I do not enjoy Sony removing functionality from systems because they feel like it nor the PS3 not being able to properly display streaming videos in formats they said it will support. I don't enjoy having to pay an online fee to play a game with my buddies over the internet (hence why I'm never buying any Xbox). I don't enjoy when my controls don't work because the game misinterprets they action I did.

Each of the systems have their advantages and disadvantages however I wouldn't say any of them suck (except hardware for Xbox 360 is drivel)

CharlesA
June 14th, 2010, 03:57 PM
PS3 is just a bluray player in disguise. o.O

NCLI
June 14th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Clearly the majority of people disagree with you.

http://hub.vgchartz.com/
Clearly Windows is awesome, since the majority uses it ](*,)

All the consoles have their own reasons for "sucking". Personally I have a Wii and PS3, I enjoy both of them for different reasons. I find the Wii games to typically be easier to play and concentrate on "fun" while PS3 games are more challenging and pretty. I enjoy watching streaming videos from my computer as well.
You know, I did say people like me weren't the intended audience for the Wii. You say that it focuses, on fun, I say it focuses on simple games, and that I grow tired of them very, very quickly. The Wii has plenty of Hannah Montanas and Twilights, but no Lord of the Rings, Avatar, or Citizen Kanes. This is why I say it sucks, like I think Disney Channel sucks, because I'm not the intended audience. If you like that stuff, feel free.

I do not enjoy Sony removing functionality from systems because they feel like it
They didn't remove it because "they felt like it," they removed it because almost no one used it, and because it suddenly constituted a huge security risk.

nor the PS3 not being able to properly display streaming videos in formats they said it will support.
Are you talking about DivX, or maybe flash? Both the Flash and the DivX implementation on the PS3 are supported not by Sony, but by the makers of these formats. Sony has nothing to do with it, just like Canonical has nothing to do with the problems with Flash in Ubuntu.

I don't enjoy when my controls don't work because the game misinterprets they action I did.

Then why do you have a Wii?

Each of the systems have their advantages and disadvantages however I wouldn't say any of them suck (except hardware for Xbox 360 is drivel)
How so? Sure, it's had high failure rates in the past, but that's pretty much over now. The Wii is way worse off when it comes to hardware, though not stability of course, the technology used in it is old and simple.

RiceMonster
June 14th, 2010, 04:00 PM

I have a Wii. It's good for playing with friends or when you have guests. The good thing about it is people who aren't gamers can enjoy it as well. I never use it on my own, but I don't really play video games anyway.

Excedio
June 14th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Because consoles are quickly becoming the computer in your living room.

Laptop. It does that job quite well.

PsychoDevon
June 14th, 2010, 04:05 PM
In my house, there is an Xbox 360 and a Wii. I used to enjoy the Wii better, but I kind of like the 360 now. Then again, I'm not a big "play online" person, and Both system's games are on opposite ends of the spectrum. I think I just like it better because of the FEEL of it. Then again, I have never tried the PS3, but some of the best gaming memories came from my PS2.

betrunkenaffe
June 14th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Clearly Windows is awesome, since the majority uses it ](*,)

Don't get defensive over making sweeping statements by making other sweeping statements.

If the Xbox 720 or whatever they decide to call it doesn't have a browser then MS will have goofed however when Wii originally came out, it didn't have a browser either. So really, 360 missing a browser was more en par with the other systems at the time:P

NCLI
June 14th, 2010, 04:09 PM
I have a Wii. It's good for playing with friends or when you have guests. The good thing about it is people who aren't gamers can enjoy it as well. I never use it on my own, but I don't really play video games anyway.
I don't know many gamers who have been able to look me in the eyes and say honestly that they enjoy using their Wii when they don't have friends around. If you can: Good for you.

Laptop. It does that job quite well.

My PS3 does the job better. It's easier to hook up to my 42" HD-tv and 7.1 surround sound, not to mention that the interface is made for big screens, and simple controllers.

In my house, there is an Xbox 360 and a Wii. I used to enjoy the Wii better, but I kind of like the 360 now. Then again, I'm not a big "play online" person, and Both system's games are on opposite ends of the spectrum. I think I just like it better because of the FEEL of it. Then again, I have never tried the PS3, but some of the best gaming memories came from my PS2.
If you're not a big "play online" person, I honestly think you'll be happier with a PS3 :p

PsychoDevon
June 14th, 2010, 04:19 PM
If you're not a big "play online" person, I honestly think you'll be happier with a PS3 :p

I don't know...I mean, most of the games for Xbox 360 are also out for PS3, and vice versa, it's just that the reasons for people choosing one over the other are:

A) The few games that are only for one or the other

B) Technical reasons (connectivity to tv, online preferences, etc.)

I think the PS3 and 360 are rivals in a game of "who's is better" but since Nintendo really has no rivals now for a console directed towards family fun, the Wii may win.

Oh, and I do have fun playing my Wii by myself.

O.O

sydbat
June 14th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I have a Wii. It's good for playing with friends or when you have guests. The good thing about it is people who aren't gamers can enjoy it as well. I never use it on my own, but I don't really play video games anyway.I'm with you RM. Got my wife the Wii for Christmas and we only play it when we have people over or sometimes just for fun together, but neither of us use it individually. Other than that, we don't play video games much.

forrestcupp
June 14th, 2010, 04:29 PM
If you're a Halo fan, then you wouldn't really be happier with a PS3, would you? Also, Kinect is going to kick PS3's knock-off Wii controller's hind end. ;)

But as for the original question, they didn't include a browser because they want to be able to lock you in. Instead of going to web sites to get videos, you have to use their individual apps to do things that are only available on their Gold membership. Everything about the Xbox is set up to make them more money.

The thing that ticks me off the most is Netflix. You have to pay for your Netflix membership, then you have to pay a 2nd time for your Xbox Live Gold membership to be able to use it. :mad:

Lucky for me, I bought PlayOn before it became subscription based.

ELD
June 14th, 2010, 04:46 PM
But PS3 sucks, lol.

The only post i've ever seen by you that i agree with/makes sense to me!

The controller is aweful, the online isn't as good (not as many players, you cannot have a seperate party chat).

Apart from that i can't knock it, i even used to own one, but the controller is so aweful and everyone i know has a 360.

NCLI
June 14th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I don't know...I mean, most of the games for Xbox 360 are also out for PS3, and vice versa, it's just that the reasons for people choosing one over the other are:

A) The few games that are only for one or the other

B) Technical reasons (connectivity to tv, online preferences, etc.)
The best games are usually single-platform, so they are definitely that ones you should look at when deciding. Multi-platform games usually aren't the ones you go "Wow" at.

I think the PS3 and 360 are rivals in a game of "who's is better" but since Nintendo really has no rivals now for a console directed towards family fun, the Wii may win.
I don't think the Wii can win this generation, simply because it was never in the race. It's not a gaming console, it's more of a family arcade, or one of those cheap machines you can sometimes buy in the supermarket which has a few, simple games pre-installed.

Sure, it does have the odd gem, but nothing compared to the real seventh generation consoles.

Oh, and I do have fun playing my Wii by myself.

O.O
Well, you're the only person I know who says that :p

NightwishFan
June 14th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Wii has gamecube compatibility, which was an epic console.

NCLI
June 14th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Wii has gamecube compatibility, which was an epic console.

The Gamecube was an excellent piece of hardware, but the design was childish, and the third-party games were mediocre. Sad.

NightwishFan
June 14th, 2010, 05:29 PM
A few of the gems, even some childish ones were awesome. I am glad it was the last console I had interest in.

NCLI
June 14th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I didn't say the games were childish, just the design of the console ;)

I would argue that the PS2 had more gems than the GC though.

NightwishFan
June 14th, 2010, 05:33 PM
All ages sort of thing I guess. I remember mainly that it was much easier to tote around and the controller rocked for fighters like Soul Calibur.

McRat
June 14th, 2010, 05:34 PM
We are on X360 #4. They burn up. Get the Extended Warranty!

Other than that, they seem to be OK.

A web-browser without a keyboard and mouse is pretty lame anyhow.

NCLI
June 14th, 2010, 05:43 PM

PS3 has support for all USB mice/keyboards built-in, just like Linux :guitar:

xsinsx
June 14th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I am a Nintendo fan. I have to say i have been severely disappointed in the Wii there have not been as many true series like there was back in the day. Big loss for me on the Wii. PS3 I found to be a bit of an annoyance and the constant debate PS3 or Xbox360.. Honestly 360 was a different era in my opinion. Far as the online goes havent tryed PS3 online Xbox is worth a few bucks a month... but only if you use it. Wii playing people on mario kart still takes the cake after a long day of hard work. its fun mindless and doesnt make me have to think. xD

I enjoy playing my wii by myself as well ;)

NCLI
June 14th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I am a Nintendo fan. I have to say i have been severely disappointed in the Wii there have not been as many true series like there was back in the day. Big loss for me on the Wii. PS3 I found to be a bit of an annoyance and the constant debate PS3 or Xbox360.. Honestly 360 was a different era in my opinion. Far as the online goes havent tryed PS3 online Xbox is worth a few bucks a month... but only if you use it. Wii playing people on mario kart still takes the cake after a long day of hard work. its fun mindless and doesnt make me have to think. xD

I enjoy playing my wii by myself as well ;)

I am confused...

You are disappointed in the Wii, but you prefer it. You find the PS3 annoying because there are discussions between 360 and PS3 fanboys, you think the 360's online is worth paying for and superior without trying free online on the PS3, and say that the 360 is in a different era compared to the PS3 and Wii... why, what, how???? :confused:

Legendary_Bibo
June 14th, 2010, 06:39 PM

My house has 3 xbox 360s which have gotten the RROD twice each. The first time it happened it was out warranty so my brother made me a deal, I could opt out of paying the repair cost, but he gets ownership. He has paid for 6 repairs, $100 each. We have 1 PS3 which is the only thing I touch which I've had to get it repaired once for $150 but it was my own fault. I don't touch 360s anymore because all they have is FPSs, and the only FPS I really like playing is Unreal Tournament, and the PS3 version lets you have mods on it.

The web browser on the PS3 does support KB/M, but it doesn't behave like a normal browser. Also it's a very horrible browser.

Oh yeah about the removal of Linux, Sony is getting sued for that.

squilookle
June 14th, 2010, 06:56 PM
The Wii is a great console and there are some great games on it that you can play by your self, including Zelda, Twilight Princess, Mario Kart, Smash Brothers Brawl.

The problem, is that there are not enough of these games. Nintendo did a great job bringing games to news audiences, but they have neglected the core gamers in the process. Thats the problem with the Wii.

It is otherwise still a great console, and I don't play it very often, but I enjoy playing it when I do use it. I also like some of the extra bits on there, including Virtual Console, Game Cube compatability, the iPlayer chennel, the web browser (sometimes for limited use, not a full on web browsing session).

I've been looking at the XBox 360 for a while now, not sure if I'm going to bother yet. There are some games on there that I would like to play and I do miss games like Final Fantasy and GTA.

And the PS3 has never appealed to me, even though I had the PSX and PS2 and thoroughly enjoyed them. Canb't say why I'm not bothered about the PS3 though. I can't say it sucks because I never felt the need to spend any significant amounty of time with one.

forrestcupp
June 15th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I don't think the Wii can win this generation, simply because it was never in the race. It's not a gaming console, it's more of a family arcade, or one of those cheap machines you can sometimes buy in the supermarket which has a few, simple games pre-installed.

I can't think of an Xbox or PS3 game that I like better than Zelda: Twilight Princess. Nintendo makes games that are fun. I'll admit that the 3rd party games aren't that great. But there's a lot more to the Wii than just Wii Sports & Sports Resort. Plus, I actually like the wiimote and nunchuck setup for other types of games, too.

I have a Wii and a 360, and I'm glad I have both. If I had to choose between the two, it would be a harder decision than you might think. My brother actually just chose the Wii because of his wife.

You really can't say Wii can't win. I think they already did for a few years.

Penguin Guy
June 15th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Sorry for straying off topic, but this is how I see PS3 vs XBOX 360:

PS3 Advantages:

Free online play
Easy HTML browsing
Compatible hardware (you can plug USBs into the USB ports :))
Blue-Ray disks

PS3 Disadvantages:

Less ergonomical controller
Xbox monopoly (most of my friends have an Xbox)
More expensive

cra1g321
June 16th, 2010, 08:55 PM
there was a rumor a while ago that the ps3 would get the firefox browser. To all ps3 fanboys i swapped my ps3 for a xbox 360 :)

betrunkenaffe
June 16th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Worldwide sales figures

1. Wii – 70.78 million as of 10 May 2010 (2010 -05-10)[update][citation needed]
2. Xbox 360 – 40 million as of 1 April 2010 (2010 -04-01)[update][30]
3. PlayStation 3 – 35.7 million as of 31 March 2010 (2010 -03-31)[update][31]

alphaniner
June 16th, 2010, 09:02 PM

It depends on your defenition of winning. This bit of info from an article forrestcupp linked to in another thread surprised me:

So far, Nintendo's strategy has paid off. The company has sold at least 70.9 million Wiis, compared with over 40 million Xbox 360 consoles from Microsoft and 35.7 million PlayStation 3s from Sony.

linky (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hOgruq-9nbyzLje-SdR7w1KKI2hQD9GCELNG1)

McRat
June 16th, 2010, 09:35 PM
The real beauty of the PS3 is that it's about the best Blueray player out there.

All we use our PS3 for is movies and RockBand/Guitar Hero.