PDA

View Full Version : installation-flashdrive boots but can't take Lucid for a spin :-(

watchpocket
June 14th, 2010, 04:07 AM
I made a bootable USB flashdrive from an "ubuntu-10.04-alternate-amd64.iso" torrent (since I want to upgrade from Karmic, not do a clean install) and booted fine from it.

(Kept getting errors trying to make a bootable CD, though, so gave up & used the flash. I think my CDs were "too good," need to get some el-cheapoes.)

I can install Lucid from the flash if I need to, but I don't seem to be able to run the new OS just to try it out.

When booting from the flashdrive, after selecting the "English" default at the languages screen, I get to a nice Lucid-like, purple-backgrounded menu, but I seem to have only the following five choices:

"Install Ubuntu" (which I don't want to do right now);

"Check disc for defects"
(the window for which I can't escape from if I don't have a CD in one of my optical drives -- the only way out of it is to reboot);

"Test memory" (which I did for awhile, then stopped it);

"Boot from first hard disk" (which I also did just to see what would happen -- jjust goes to my regular Karmic bootup. Again, not what I want to do); and

"Rescue a broken system". (Didn't try that one yet. Brrrrrrr.)

Shouldn't there be a choice that says "Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer"?

Is this thing trying to tell me my current system is fscked up and needs rescued?

MooPi
June 14th, 2010, 04:10 AM
The alternate is just that, an alternate less resource intensive install without the Live CD part.

watchpocket
June 14th, 2010, 04:14 AM
The alternate is just that, an alternate less resource intensive install without the Live CD part.

Bingo. Makes perfect sense. Thanks.