PDA

View Full Version : Just installed #!crunchbang

Cam42
June 14th, 2010, 03:53 AM
And I LOVE it. I don't know why I didn't install Openbox on this old desktop sooner. 37 seconds from power button to login screen. And keep in mind this is a desktop circa 2000.
LOVE.

Only thing that I don't love is that #! is Ubuntu 9.04 based. At least it's stable?

But I hear there's an Alpha of a new version, based off Debian, available for download.

Timmer1240
June 14th, 2010, 04:05 AM
I tried out crunchbang in virtualbox pretty decent little distro would be great for older hardware!

Shazzam6999
June 14th, 2010, 06:08 AM
But I hear there's an Alpha of a new version, based off Debian, available for download.

I believe they moved to Debian in Statler. I don't use #! myself but I do really like it overall; just not enough to switch from Arch. On the bright side though, it detected my b4312 wireless out of the box before which no other distro has ever done.

Plumtreed
June 14th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Crunchbang is an excellent OS and goes well on older machines.

I have a preference for the very fast Peppermint OS, or even Lubuntu, because of the speed they offer older units.

Also version 10.04

XubuRoxMySox
June 14th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I've been using Crunchbang for months on a really old hand-me-down 'puter and it's great. Very minimal yet very powerful! Very sleek and geeky looking (the right-click menu saves the day for us non-geeks), dark, and mysterious, yet beautiful. Openbox is awesome.

The new version (still in Alpha but you'd never know it) is Debian-based instead of Ubuntu-based; and it comes in two flavors: Xfce and Openbox, both of which are super-fast and really nice. Amazing implementation of Xfce.

In awe of Linux' versatility,
Robin

ukripper
June 14th, 2010, 12:57 PM
i am using Lubuntu on AMD athlon 1500+ in my signature, and it gives me under 20 sec to login screen from powerup which is just astonishing without any tweaks.

philinux
June 14th, 2010, 01:15 PM
And I LOVE it. I don't know why I didn't install Openbox on this old desktop sooner. 37 seconds from power button to login screen. And keep in mind this is a desktop circa 2000.
LOVE.

Only thing that I don't love is that #! is Ubuntu 9.04 based. At least it's stable?

Give peppermint a whirl.
http://peppermintos.com/

Click the about link.