PDA

View Full Version : Scientists have developed a cheap water powered car.

themarker0
June 14th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Meet the C9F3, a concept car from GM, and Ford. The two companies put their brightest minds together, to make a car that is affordable on any budget, and runs on 100% water. The car come complete with power windows, leather interiors, sun roof, and candy dispenser. It also has a mood control, which can easily put your wife or girlfriend in the "mood", make your children tired, or even make that stupid mother in law like you for 20 seconds.

There is only one catch with the car, the water it needs happens to be from the gulf of Mexico.

Yes this is a joke, if it wasn't ridiculous enough already

pwnst*r
June 14th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Anti-comedy.

NightwishFan
June 14th, 2010, 03:06 AM
I once developed a server powered by the labour of countless ants.

pwnst*r
June 14th, 2010, 03:15 AM
^much better.

KingYaba
June 14th, 2010, 03:31 AM
I thought this was a hydrogen car or something. You got my hopes up for nothing, OP. :(

themarker0
June 14th, 2010, 03:49 AM
I thought this was a hydrogen car or something. You got my hopes up for nothing, OP. :(

Sorry i got a text message this morning with this joke, had to share it.

Stancel
June 14th, 2010, 03:53 AM
but haven't some people been developing a water-powered car in reality?

It doesn't look as cool as that, I'm sure.

McRat
June 14th, 2010, 03:55 AM
It's funny, don't worry.
:lolflag:

McRat
June 14th, 2010, 04:11 AM
OK - This is going to break a lot pseudo-scientists hearts, and make a bunch of stupid politicians cry. If you are in this category, stop here:

If you successfully completed basic High School science and understood the material, you already know that you can't "burn" water. It's already burned. It's like thinking you can power a car off of carbon dioxide, or sand, or ashes. It's retarded to even consider it. If you could burn water, you'd have the world's first perpetual motion machine.

Now, there are hundreds of crooks nowadays selling hydrogen generators to give you better mileage. They take electricity from the car, break down water into hydrogen and oxygen, then inject it into the engine.

Duh? Huh? Errr...

If it takes 5hp worth of electricity to break down water, then it has to yield less than 5hp when you burn the hydrogen. There is no Electrical Magic. Your mileage will go down very slightly (simply because your alternator doesn't make much electricity.

Hydrogen-powered cars (fuel cell and Otto-cycle) aren't coming to the masses in our lifetime. Sorry. Commercial hydrogen comes from petroleum, so you really aren't fixing anything, and hydrogen simply does not store energy very well. A gas tank that hold 40 liters of gasoline would have to be replaced with a gas tank the size of your car if you wanted the same range from hydrogen.

It's a nice way to scam people though, especially government people.

BslBryan
June 14th, 2010, 04:21 AM
Hydrogen-powered cars (fuel cell and Otto-cycle) aren't coming to the masses in our lifetime. Sorry. Commercial hydrogen comes from petroleum, so you really aren't fixing anything, and hydrogen simply does not store energy very well. A gas tank that hold 40 liters of gasoline would have to be replaced with a gas tank the size of your car if you wanted the same range from hydrogen.

Not sure if all that's correct, but I will agree that with the technology that we know of that's in existence it certainly would require new technology. Makes for a good conspiracy theory, though, that loads of scientists are working tirelessly towards a scam to fool all of humanity.

betrunkenaffe
June 14th, 2010, 04:50 AM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something but from what I remember, Hydrogen has alot of potential energy depending on how you utilize it. Do you have any math to back up the statement that Hydrogen doesn't store energy well?

McRat
June 14th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Not sure if all that's correct, but I will agree that with the technology that we know of that's in existence it certainly would require new technology. Makes for a good conspiracy theory, though, that loads of scientists are working tirelessly towards a scam to fool all of humanity.

Ask the Toyota project engineer for their hydrogen car. He will tell you the same thing.

McRat
June 14th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something but from what I remember, Hydrogen has alot of potential energy depending on how you utilize it. Do you have any math to back up the statement that Hydrogen doesn't store energy well?

Density of liquid hydrogen is about 71 grams per liter IIRC. Look it up. It needs about 3-4 times the space of other liquid fuels for the same amount of energy storage. And you need to store it at about 20 deg Kelvin. Want to put a 40 gallon cryo fuel cell in your Rabbit? Should it rupture, you are pretty much guaranteed you're going to die even if it never ignites (it will).

It is useful for a lot of things, but as a motor fuel, it's just not practical. But government grants are out there. Sign up while they last.

They've been using H2 for fuel for a very, very long time now. Starting in WWII. Even with the lower losses of the "hydrogen fuel cells" ($100,000 powerplants) the problem is H2 is not dense enough for passenger car use. Buses? Sure, if you want $10 bus tickets.

Shining Arcanine
June 14th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Ask the Toyota project engineer for their hydrogen car. He will tell you the same thing.
Did he say this somewhere? It would be interesting to read.

themarker0
June 14th, 2010, 05:24 PM
And i was just making a joke. :/

NightwishFan
June 14th, 2010, 05:28 PM
It was nice. :) Sounds like a cool car to me.

McRat
June 14th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Did he say this somewhere? It would be interesting to read.

Pretty sure it can be found on that documentary, "Who Killed The Electric Car", but I could be wrong.

McRat
June 14th, 2010, 05:30 PM
And i was just making a joke. :/

Welcome to the internet, where NOTHING is immune from a good HiJack!!:D

It's a good joke, so think of the hijacks as a "bump".;)