PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Window control buttons disappeared.

Jeff294
June 14th, 2010, 02:25 AM
I installed 64bit 10.4 a while back and have had no problems, and was getting used to having the window control buttons (close, minimize, maximize) appearing as little colored circles on the left of the window title bar. Yesterday I changed the Visual Effects from 'None' to 'Extra'. The system asked to install some drivers, I said OK, and the extra Visual Effects started working (wiggly windows, edges that snap together, etc.). But then I noticed that the window control buttons had disappeared. When I set the Visual Effects back to 'Normal' I get the old control buttons ('X', underscore, etc), but they are on the RIGHT side of the title bar. When I set the Visual Effects back to 'None', I get those old style buttons on the LEFT side of the title bar. I would prefer to have the new style buttons on the left. I looked in the sticky note under this topic, and looked around at some other topics, but can't find any mention of this particular problem. Anybody know how to fix this? If I can't fix the button behavior, I would like to un-install the drivers that seem to be causing it.

BlackShaddow
June 16th, 2010, 07:15 PM
In Lucid ...

:confused:Window buttons & sizing/dragging went missing!:confused:

Changed visual style via ...
System>Apperance>Theme
Closed
Shut-Down
Powered on again
Features Restored!8)

:icon_frown:Problem Possibly due to Xinerama/X Screen messing
and Compiz incompatibility!:frown:

NOTE: Compiz effects Will NOT work with Xinerama! :rolleyes:

Jeff294
June 19th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Thank you BlackShaddow, that actually worked. I guess I should have tried more Appearance options before posting - but thank you for your reply. The buttons returned even without rebooting.

This forum rocks.
Cheers!