PDA

View Full Version : Converted Cousin

Hman242
June 13th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I meant to post this weeks ago when it happened, but I forgot. During a conversation at my cousin's place the topic of him getting a new computer came up. He said he might get a Mac because of them being virus resistant and it comes with some audio effects software. I told him he shouldn't spend all that money and he could just use Ubuntu. He asked, "What's Ubuntu?".

I told him is was kinda like a Mac, keeping it simple because he isn't the most tech savvy. I also told him it was free and that he could download plenty of free software. That made him want to try it out. I downloaded a the desktop .iso and put it on a USB using UNetBootin and booted it up. He liked it, so I partitioned his hard drive and installed Ubuntu on a small partition. I put Docky on it since I know he liked the look of Mac. After upgrading and restarting I showed him the software center. I told him just about any programs he wanted should be in there. I told him if he had any troubles he could just text me. I haven't got a text from him since I was there.

scouser73
June 13th, 2010, 09:11 PM
That's really good to hear.

TheNerdAL
June 13th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Congrats! That adds 1 more to the Ubuntu Community. :)

bigsmitty64
June 13th, 2010, 09:36 PM
If he's into audio stuff you should show him Ubuntu Studio :)

Hman242
June 14th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I was going to download that for him to begin with, but his internet is slow and the standard Ubuntu is a smaller download.

schauerlich
June 14th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I hear before they'll let you convert to ubuntu, you must try unsuccessfully to install it 3 times.

Hman242
June 14th, 2010, 11:32 PM
It was fine on the first install, but we had to partition twice. The power cut out during the first time because of a storm.

madjr
June 14th, 2010, 11:37 PM
i did the same for a few people too they really liked it.

it's pretty easy when the person is trying to scape windows and malware

people like to get mac like looks and security without spending the money.

is so much easy to convert people with the new ubuntu desing

the experts say that "the interface is the product"

good thing our benevolent dictator got it lol

ubunterooster
June 14th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I hear before they'll let you convert to ubuntu, you must try unsuccessfully to install it 3 times.
:lolflag:

bigsmitty64
June 15th, 2010, 04:51 AM
I was going to download that for him to begin with, but his internet is slow and the standard Ubuntu is a smaller download.

IF he chooses, he can still download the ubuntustudio-audio-plugins and ubuntustudio-plugins packages from Synaptic package manager anyways! :)

Hman242
June 15th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I didn't show him Synaptic, only the software center.

madjr
June 15th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I didn't show him Synaptic, only the software center.

you should follow up on him see what apps he installed

Hman242
June 15th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I think my calling him up out of the blue and asking what he installed on his computer since I've been there would be alittle strange :P

Roasted
June 16th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I think my calling him up out of the blue and asking what he installed on his computer since I've been there would be alittle strange :P

Naw, doesn't seem strange at all. Just call to ask him how things have been. I'm sure he'd think highly of it since you're going out of your way to make sure the new OS he's playing with is okay.

Then throughout the convo, weasle that question in to see what he's done so far.

madjr
June 16th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Naw, doesn't seem strange at all. Just call to ask him how things have been. I'm sure he'd think highly of it since you're going out of your way to make sure the new OS he's playing with is okay.

Then throughout the convo, weasle that question in to see what he's done so far.

i agree

takes a while to get everything going, he may feel that his current issues are not as big as having to call you, but am sure he may have his share of doubts (like all new comers).

send him an email, chat or give him the link to UF just in case