PDA

View Full Version : Is there any hope for AMD ATI drivers?

lorderico
June 13th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Hello,

The other day I enabled the proprietary drivers for my graphics card. Today I restarted... no gui :( . I had to boot up from the live cd, and edit xorg.conf, which would not have been obvious if I was a beginner. I know the ATI drivers are not known for there quality, but is there any hope at all? Does AMD care at all? Sometimes with each new release of Ubunutu I like to imagine they do.

Eric

ps. I found another reason to hate windows. I was right in the middle of a starcraft game on Vista with my friends when starcraft suddenly closed. A couple of seconds later, I see "logging off..." Finally I see "installing updates. Don't turn off your computer" :x:x:x

chris200x9
June 13th, 2010, 06:03 PM
what card do you have? The free drivers are good I hear, if it's a 5000 series what until 2.6.36 (it just missed 2.6.35 I hear :()

handy
June 14th, 2010, 01:32 AM
No GPU drivers are improving as fast as the open AMD/ATi drivers. Thanks primarily to AMD opening up the technical data & helping with the development.

Patience is all that is required.

I've been mostly on the open drivers since last August, often using the dev kernel & other associated packages required for the open ATi GPU support.

The improvements in that time have been phenomenal.

Have a look at this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1238129