PDA

View Full Version : java proxy

JakeFrederix
June 13th, 2010, 02:47 PM
URL url = new URL("http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/126/8636005.jpg");
Image img = ImageIO.read(url);
System.out.println(img);

above piece of code is valid, and compiles. Yet when I execute it,
it keeps throwing "java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out".

The url exists, and when I open it in firefox, it clearly shows the image
I wish to download.

After having watched a similar post by me die on stackoverflow.com,
I was hoping perhaps this forum would be the one to solve it.

The most common answer seems to be "put a proxy between it" or "increase the timeout".
It still hangs after a timeout of 5 minutes, so that's not it.

I know how to set a proxy, but what settings should I use? (especially since firefox says it's not using a proxy)

Also, if I change my internet-connection to use my neighbour's network, this code suddenly behaves as expected.
Wget is also able to fetch the image.

Kind regards,
Jake

JakeFrederix
June 14th, 2010, 11:39 AM
bump

xsandz
June 14th, 2010, 11:42 AM
have you disabled your antivirus and firewall while running this code??sometimes these elements can make probs!

slavik
June 14th, 2010, 11:43 AM
have you tried reading it as a file?

try putting an image one your disk and getting that, URLs don't have to be http:// ;)

JakeFrederix
June 14th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I don't have a firewall set, or antivirus (unless these are built in). Use latest version of Ubuntu.

Reading an image of of my hard-drive is not a problem. Other code in the same project even uses a file containing a cache of the previous queries as to minimize the strain on LastFM.

Kind regards,
Jake

JakeFrederix
June 14th, 2010, 07:11 PM
File f = new File("/home/jake/Pictures/mazetemplates/flowers/leaf.gif");
URL url = new URL(f.toURI().toURL().toString());
URLConnection con = url.openConnection();
con.setConnectTimeout(50000);

Scanner sc = new Scanner(url.openStream());
while(sc.hasNext())
System.out.println(sc.next());

above code for instance works fine. It reads a file on the local filesystem. I did use the File object, but only to construct a valid url to the file.

File f = new File("/home/jake/Pictures/mazetemplates/flowers/leaf.gif");
URL url = new URL(f.toURI().toURL().toString());

ImageIO.read(url);

also works, and uses ImageIO and the url pointing to the local filesystem.

It must be an internet-related issue.

Some Penguin
June 15th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Consider using the httpclient build from Apache Commons, if ImageIO isn't working for you. Just because ImageIO is a built-in doesn't mean that it works...

JakeFrederix
June 15th, 2010, 02:57 AM
1) I don't like importing external libraries when there is a class at hand that should do what I ask.
2) I'm awfully stubborn, it should work. And I don't intend on avoiding the problem, I intend on solving it.

slavik
June 15th, 2010, 04:12 AM
it appears that the code has nothing to do with the class but with where the file is.

what's interesting is that you are trying to read a file, but have a separate connection open. have you looked at urlconnection's read methods if there are any?

JakeFrederix
June 15th, 2010, 10:06 AM
InputStream is = url.openStream();

int res = is.read();
while(res!=-1){
System.out.println(res);
res=is.read();
}

fails too.

InputStream is = con.getInputStream();

int res = is.read();
while(res!=-1){
System.out.println(res);
res=is.read();
}

will take a while, but will also fail.

Some Penguin
June 15th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Interesting. Are you running this in something like a Tomcat servlet container or something else that might have a particular not-very-permissive security policy?

JakeFrederix
June 15th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I run this code in plain old NetBeans ide.
But even when I execute the code by opening the .jar, it will fail.

Some Penguin
June 16th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Hmmmm.

1) You may also need to set the read timeout -- this is separate, and may be the actual issue if the server is slow.

2) Without checking the URLConnection source, I'm not sure that it will actually call connect() for you when you call getInputStream(). It might seem a reasonable thing to do, but that doesn't mean that it was done...

JakeFrederix
June 16th, 2010, 07:14 PM
con.connect();
con.setReadTimeout(50000);

InputStream is = con.getInputStream();

int res = is.read();
while(res!=-1){
System.out.println(res);
res=is.read();
}

is another variation of the same code (this time set both connectTimeout and readTimeout). Also called connect() before reading data.

and again, it fails.

Also, I tried using the apache httpclient, that frustrated me. The example code uses
HttpClient client = new HttpClient()

and when I copy-paste that (and yes, I included the .jars), it spat out
HttpClient is abstract and can not be instantiated.

ergh.

JakeFrederix
June 18th, 2010, 12:53 PM
bump.

myrtle1908
June 18th, 2010, 12:57 PM
OpenJDK perhaps? Seems like a very strange phenomenon for which OpenJDK could be to blame.

JakeFrederix
June 18th, 2010, 01:46 PM
And what can I change then?

myrtle1908
June 18th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Can you check which JDK you are using? I use Eclipse so not sure with Netbeans.

Zugzwang
June 18th, 2010, 01:56 PM
@OP: Have you tried reading some image from somewhere else on the web? (e.g. the image on google.com or something like that?) Possibly the last.fm website filters out requests from some client types (which identify themselves to the webserver in a HTTP request)?

JakeFrederix
June 18th, 2010, 02:47 PM
But, if it was merely lastfm filtering out httpclients, then I wouldn't be able to get the data using another internet-connection. As it is, when I use my neighbour's internet, it works. The exact same code (and all variations of the code I've already posted in this thread)

JakeFrederix
June 18th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Also, come to think of it, if it was an openJDK problem, then it should manifest itself regardless of what internet-connection I use.

JakeFrederix
June 21st, 2010, 05:53 AM
bump.

JakeFrederix
June 21st, 2010, 09:05 PM
Also, and I have only just noticed this. The netbeans IDE is unable to show it's content (which it downloads from internet) at startup.
I'm assuming this means it's a problem with the internet connection.

JakeFrederix
June 22nd, 2010, 01:26 AM
On the forums of netbeans, it is said that this can be solved by changing the file
/etc/sysctl.d/bindv6only.conf

Problem is, I don't have that file. It just isn't there.
Does anyone else have it? If so, could you cat /etc/sysctl.d/bindv6only.conf ?

Thanks in advance,
Jake

dwhitney67
June 22nd, 2010, 02:02 AM
Did something like the following not work for you?

import java.net.URL;
import java.net.MalformedURLException;
import java.io.InputStream;
import java.io.IOException;

public class GetHttp
{
public static void main(String[] args)
{
try {
URL url = new URL(args[0]);
InputStream is = url.openStream();

byte[] data = new byte[1024];
int bytes = 0;

while ((bytes = is.read(data, 0, data.length)) != -1) {
System.out.write(data, 0, bytes);
}
}
catch (MalformedURLException e) {
System.err.println(e.toString());
}
catch (IOException e) {
System.err.println(e.toString());
}
}
}

Save the code above to GetHttp.java, and then:

javac GetHttp.java

java GetHttp http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/126/8636005.jpg > Maroon5.jpg

Your JPG image should be in Maroon5.jpg.

JakeFrederix
June 22nd, 2010, 02:31 AM
No, it does not work.
Yes, I have tried that (and all other possible variations of opening a URL).

The problem is that jre seems unable to make an internet connection. As shown by netbeans inability to load the content featured under "my netbeans" at startup.

I have already tried re-installing the JRE, the JDK and Netbeans itself.
Nothing works.

Sadly, this is one of the things that did work on Windows.
Say what you will, but when things fail in linux, it is hell to even begin to comprehend where the fault lies.

Kind regards,
Jake

dwhitney67
June 22nd, 2010, 06:19 AM
Try analyzing the problem before you give up; for starters, I would not use NetBeans. Run the application from the command line... but more importantly, run the application using the 'strace' utility.

For example:

javac GetHttp.java # this is the app I supplied earlier

strace -o tmp.txt -f java GetHttp http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/126/8636005.jpg > pic.jpg

Examine the output generated by strace to see what direction the application took that made it fail. To do this, open the tmp.txt file (that was generated above) and search for the following:

socket(PF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 4
connect(4, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(0), sin_addr=inet_addr("96.17.171.41")}, 16) = 0

8482 send(4, "GET /serve/126/8636005.jpg HTTP/"..., 180, 0) = 180

8482 ioctl(4, FIONREAD, [16802]) = 0
8482 recv(4, "\331U\3351*m\345\216:\303\315\255\272\256\204\226\ 235Z\361\345\226\5\3513\272\337\336\322f\261{\26"..., 6744, 0) = 6744

The two main things to look for here in these statements is the socket descriptor (above it is 4), and also whether you were able to successfully connect; that is denoted by the "= 0" at the end of the connect() call. Note that you may have a difference socket descriptor on your system.

If all goes well, then later you will see the recv() calls, using the same socket descriptor, and then the writing of the data to standard-out (this uses a descriptor of 1).

Anyhow, I would be curious to know what status you got from the connect() calls (yep, there might be more than one of them).

P.S. You can use the same java app to download, say, the main page of http://www.google.com. You may want to try your luck with a different URL. It could be that your ISP blocks access to this site: http://userserve-ak.last.fm

JakeFrederix
June 22nd, 2010, 11:47 AM
In attachment the result of trying to read http://www.google.com (which also failed).

Also, I had to split them because of the size-limitations.

Kind regards,
Jake

dwhitney67
June 22nd, 2010, 04:51 PM
I see from the files that you posted that your system is using Open-JDK. Perhaps you could consider removing it from your system and installing Sun's JDK?

You may want to read this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java

Zugzwang
June 22nd, 2010, 04:54 PM
I see from the files that you posted that your system is using Open-JDK. Perhaps you could consider removing it from your system and installing Sun's JDK?

Actually, in Ubuntu 10.04, the Sun JDK doesn't exist anymore (as a package).

@JakeFrederix: size limitations can be "circumvented" by gzipping the text file beforehand.

dwhitney67
June 22nd, 2010, 05:33 PM
Actually, in Ubuntu 10.04, the Sun JDK doesn't exist anymore (as a package).

Yes; this blog seems to confirm that: http://gabenell.blogspot.com/2010/04/installing-sun-java-6-on-ubuntu-104.html

Seems like there's a work-around though.

JakeFrederix
June 22nd, 2010, 07:48 PM
I've followed the instructions on the aforementioned website.
Removed openjdk (it does not show up anymore at the software-center)
installed jre and jdk

Again, the proposed GetHTTP failed.
In attachment the stacktrace.

@whomever said I could gzip the files instead of splitting it;
I was tired as hell, both mentally, and physically. I design mostly in java, you cannot imagine how much of an inconvenience this problem is. Like dying of a million papercuts.

Kind regards,
Jake

dwhitney67
June 22nd, 2010, 10:59 PM
Perhaps the most distinctive difference I found between your strace output and mine is the search paths that the Java VM (Virtual Machine) is examining.

In your file, it is most interested in searching the /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.20/jre/lib/i386/server path, whereas on my system the focus is on /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.20/jre/lib/i386/client.

Another difference, which must be important, is that your file indicates that your process ended prematurely (for whatever reason):

clone(child_stack=0xb69bb494, flags=CLONE_VM|CLONE_FS|CLONE_FILES|CLONE_SIGHAND| CLONE_THREAD|CLONE_SYSVSEM|CLONE_SETTLS|CLONE_PARE NT_SETTID|CLONE_CHILD_CLEARTID, parent_tidptr=0xb69bbbd8, {entry_number:6, base_addr:0xb69bbb70, limit:1048575, seg_32bit:1, contents:0, read_exec_only:0, limit_in_pages:1, seg_not_present:0, useable:1}, child_tidptr=0xb69bbbd8) = 14735
futex(0xb69bbbd8, FUTEX_WAIT, 14735, NULL) = 0
exit_group(0)

Mine on the other hand has:

clone(child_stack=0xb6c96494, flags=CLONE_VM|CLONE_FS|CLONE_FILES|CLONE_SIGHAND| CLONE_THREAD|CLONE_SYSVSEM|CLONE_SETTLS|CLONE_PARE NT_SETTID|CLONE_CHILD_CLEARTID, parent_tidptr=0xb6c96bd8, {entry_number:6, base_addr:0xb6c96b70, limit:1048575, seg_32bit:1, contents:0, read_exec_only:0, limit_in_pages:1, seg_not_present:0, useable:1}, child_tidptr=0xb6c96bd8) = 13096
set_robust_list(0xb6c96be0, 0xc) = 0
open("/sys/devices/system/cpu", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_LARGEFILE|O_DIRECTORY|O_CLOE XEC) = 3
getdents64(3, /* 10 entries */, 32768) = 304

So this might explain why your system is not yielding the desired results; your application is terminating prematurely.

As for what all this means, and how to resolve it, I haven't a clue.

Btw, out of curiosity, what are the contents of the following file on your system: /etc/java-6-sun/jvm.cfg

Mine looks like:

-client IF_SERVER_CLASS -server
-server KNOWN
-hotspot ALIASED_TO -client
-classic WARN
-native ERROR
-green ERROR

JakeFrederix
June 22nd, 2010, 11:46 PM
My version of /etc/java-6-sun/jvm.cfg is exactly the same (or at least the part you've shown).

JakeFrederix
June 23rd, 2010, 01:55 AM
I've reinstalled Ubuntu. And again, (no surprises there) the same code fails under the same circumstances.
OpenJDK isn't installed, only Sun's versions of the jre and jdk.

I am very close to throwing the entire thing against the wall, and relocating to a deserted island where computers are unheard of.

Kind regards,
Jake

JakeFrederix
June 23rd, 2010, 03:23 AM
I try the CLI-approach, and "javac" is not installed.
Odd, seeing as Netbeans has no problems compiling and running code.

JakeFrederix
June 23rd, 2010, 03:33 AM
I fixed aforementioned post.
export PATH was needed.

If that got you rolling your eyes, keep in mind that until 10 months ago I hadn't even so much as seen a terminal.

JakeFrederix
June 23rd, 2010, 03:35 AM
Apparently, that also fixed the entire problem.
I have no idea why.

I am so happy right now :-)

JakeFrederix
June 23rd, 2010, 04:30 AM
Scratch that; it works some of the time.
Conditions that I am unaware of.
It might work twice in a row, it might not.
Perhaps it has to do with the exact alignment of Uranus and Jupiter.

JakeFrederix
June 23rd, 2010, 04:43 AM
The only thing I can think of is;

whilst I was trying out the code, the software-center was downloading programs (I had just reinstalled my entire system).

Now that I am not downloading through the software-center anymore, the code doesn't work anymore.

But even this is mere conjecture.

JakeFrederix
June 23rd, 2010, 04:56 AM
The problem lies with LastFM, I think.
Whenever I change connections, My IP changes, and so my request are granted.
Then I hit the limit, and the connection times out.

I'll send an email to LastFM,
I'll mark this thread as solved if they confirm this suspicion.