PDA

View Full Version : who here has a Droid phone?

Stancel
June 13th, 2010, 07:26 AM
what is your opinion of it?

Since Android OS is a Linux-based OS, it seems like a great alternative to the iPhone.

I'm considering getting one....

aysiu
June 13th, 2010, 07:29 AM
You're speaking specifically of the Droid? If so, which one? Droid? Droid Eris? Droid Incredible?

Or do you mean just an Android phone in general?

Stancel
June 13th, 2010, 07:31 AM
You're speaking specifically of the Droid? If so, which one? Droid? Droid Eris? Droid Incredible?

:confused:Um....not being familiar with the Eris or Incredible, I was speaking of the Motorola Droid.

TheNerdAL
June 13th, 2010, 07:32 AM

I think he means any phone with Android OS on it.

AlphaMack
June 13th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Motorola Droid owner here.

You can't go wrong with it, but there is certainly room for improvement starting with the 5 MP camera...it just doesn't do well in low-lighting conditions and you need to experiment with the settings in order to get some kind of improvement.

Using the GPS will eat your battery alive.

Other than those two issues the screen...the SCREEN! You'll love it (but again, it too will suck your battery dry).

Fortunately, the battery is removable. ;)

Lucifer The Dark
June 13th, 2010, 09:21 AM
T-Mobile Pulse recently updated to Android 2.1, it's based on the 2.6.29 Kernel according to the phone.

On the whole it works well, but as mentioned before me battery life can be severely limited by what you're using.

clarknick67
June 13th, 2010, 10:08 AM
i don't have a Droid phone yet

pwnst*r
June 13th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I have the Evo, but not a droid - not sure if you're done being confused yet though.

Tackleberry 518
June 13th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Nexus One owner on AT&T. Great phone. Beautiful screen as long as you're not in direct sunlight, then its horrible. Thats just the downside of an AMOLED screen. Running OS 2.2.

kingrobdun
June 13th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I'm thinking of getting the htc hero.

AllRadioisDead
June 13th, 2010, 04:24 PM
HTC hero represent.

MCVenom
June 13th, 2010, 05:11 PM
MotoDroid owner here! :D

It's a great phone, does pretty much anything you want it to without root. If you do get root access on it though? The sky's the limit baby... :P

Also, the newest version of Android, 2.2 (Froyo) is available on rooted phones now also. It's stable and much faster than previous iterations. :P

Timmer1240
June 14th, 2010, 03:10 AM
A friend of mine has one is an awesome phone!Its like carrying a computer in your pocket great device!Me I just have an old samsung phone with a broken screen I can call and receive calls thats all mine does!Since mines through work Ill be getting a new phone soon but itll be the cheapest they can get as usual ah well at least I dont have to pay for it!

homburg
June 14th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I'm using the HTC Desire with Ubuntu Karmic and it's a match made in heaven :-)

The usb disk mode works perfectly
The "share internet" option in the usb menu on the HD worked out-of-the-box with karmic
Much easier than my earlier phones.

I recommend it :-) But you pay for the features with a very limited battery life, though.

skierkyles
June 14th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I bought a Droid Incredible... Too bad I dont get it for 3 more weeks cause Verizon is out of them :-(

pwnst*r
June 14th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I bought a Droid Incredible... Too bad I dont get it for 3 more weeks cause Verizon is out of them :-(

Yeah, that's odd that HTC really dropped the ball with the Incredible. By now it should not be an issue to purchase through Verizon.

Matthewthegreat
June 14th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Moto Droid owner here! :guitar:

IMO if you like linux you'll like android. This is the first phone I have had that I felt free using.

Plus if you root and install 2.2 froyo you get adobe flash and built in tethering! :D

zean1
July 29th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I love my Motorola droid but yes you do have those issues untill i rooted my phone now the cam led comes on when the cam view turns on and the the power issue if you use the power widget switches and turn on what you need and turn off what you dont you want have any power problems i ride a bike so i have a bike mount and use the gps and lissen to music at the same time and i only us about 50% power on a 4hour ride

DeadSuperHero
July 30th, 2010, 01:16 AM
I got a Droid X. It's everything I wanted in a phone, and then some. I just hope that Froyo update comes soon!

ADW Launcher is really nice on it, too.

Huss
July 30th, 2010, 07:41 AM
HTC magic does the job for me.

murderslastcrow
July 30th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Getting an EVO in the mail as we speak. Can't wait, already really excited after researching the features of the OS. Outside of my work, it might actually turn out just as useful as a portable desktop, if not more because of its specialization. I used to think it would be stupid to get anything other than a phone with a real Linux distro on it, but these 'Apps' and the interface are quite an interesting twist on traditional computing. I think it'll be very useful to have both, and maybe learn a little Java in the process (although I hear it's kinda' LAME as a programming language).

Anyway, I'll give my opinion when I've used it for a few weeks.

wipeout140
July 30th, 2010, 09:26 AM
HTC Magic 32B with Android 2.2 (Cyanogenmod 6 D/S) works really well alot better then stock 1.6 android

mysteryd
July 30th, 2010, 05:54 PM
HTC Hero rooted, CM6 test 4 loaded. Love it... most fun I have had with a phone.

Nplotnick
July 30th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Samsung Moment. I like the slideout keyboard for texting and entering data. Touch screen is useful and the few apps I have added are useful. Was great to check gate change when my plane was taxing recently. GPS works very well, seems to be faster to locate me than dedicated Garmin Nuiv I own. 3.2 MP camera takes decent photos but will never replace a dedicated camera.

DirtDawg
July 31st, 2010, 03:19 AM
Got the Moto Droid about 5 months ago and it's likely the coolest thing I've ever owned.

I never rooted, so I've been waiting months to see Flash on my phone. Word on the street (http://www.droid-life.com/2010/07/30/droid-2-2-to-start-rolling-out-august-3rd/) is Froyo OTA updates will start rolling out Tuesday the 3rd. I cannot wait!

trav5
July 31st, 2010, 08:43 PM
I got my Moto Droid a little over a week ago. I haven't rooted yet, but have the apps to do it. I was wondering how long everyone thinks it will take to root Froyo? Also if I root now will the OTA update get rid of SPRecovery or the ability to flash SPRecovery so I can try some ROMs? I think I'm gonna wait for the OTA update since I've only had it barely a week! Any thoughts tho?

siimo
July 31st, 2010, 08:55 PM
Droid X is where its at.

markp1989
July 31st, 2010, 10:42 PM
im planning on getting the lg-intouch-max-gw620 next week (or as soon as tmobile get it in stock), any one had any experiences with it?

randumnumber
July 31st, 2010, 11:11 PM
I have the HTC hero, the screen takes a little to long to switch from the horizontal to vertical, and vice versa. Also the phone is a little laggy compared to the Iphone. Other than that its a great phone with applications for anything. Some things I would do as soon as you get it.

Change the web browser to Opera, it seems to be the fastest.
Change the SMS to Chomp, it resembles the Iphones SMS

MadCookie
July 31st, 2010, 11:44 PM
I im writing this on my incredible Samsung Galaxy S. It has a modded version of Android, and it is incredible, actually it beats the iPhone 4!

pwnst*r
August 1st, 2010, 12:27 AM
Getting an EVO in the mail as we speak. Can't wait, already really excited after researching the features of the OS. Outside of my work, it might actually turn out just as useful as a portable desktop, if not more because of its specialization. I used to think it would be stupid to get anything other than a phone with a real Linux distro on it, but these 'Apps' and the interface are quite an interesting twist on traditional computing. I think it'll be very useful to have both, and maybe learn a little Java in the process (although I hear it's kinda' LAME as a programming language).

Anyway, I'll give my opinion when I've used it for a few weeks.

Not as useful as a "portable desktop" - whatever that is.

aysiu
August 1st, 2010, 01:26 AM
I was wondering how long everyone thinks it will take to root Froyo? Cyanogen already has a Froyo rooted rom for Droid:
http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/2403-cm6-rc1/

Right now it's in Release Candidate 1.

Also if I root now will the OTA update If you root, you'll no longer get OTA updates. You'll get updates from the people who supplied you with the rooted rom. So if you install the Cyanogen rooted rom, you'll get a new rom from Cyanogen for Gingerbread.

stmiller
August 1st, 2010, 02:43 AM
Typing this on a Samsung Galaxy S. Screen is great, drag and drop usb mass storage is nice. One reason I didn't get an iphone is: itunes. Android is nice because it's standalone and doesn't require any software on your computer.

pwnst*r
August 1st, 2010, 02:56 AM
Typing this on a Samsung Galaxy S. Screen is great, drag and drop usb mass storage is nice. One reason I didn't get an iphone is: itunes. Android is nice because it's standalone and doesn't require any software on your computer.

Except that there's not a really good sync app. Notice I said "really" good, not sometimes okay, unless of course the Galaxy came with very good software.

Georgia boy
August 1st, 2010, 02:56 AM
Friend of mine has a Droid through Verizon. Had to get another one due to it wanting to call and send emails on it's own. Said he did a Google and found he wasn't the only one who had those problems. Said the replacement is doing fine so far. But his original had worked fine for a few months also. So, I'm waiting to see what happens with the replacement also.

MooPi
August 1st, 2010, 03:50 AM
Does the Android stack have flash support yet ?

pwnst*r
August 1st, 2010, 04:56 AM
Does the Android stack have flash support yet ?

Rockin' 10.1 on Evo with Froyo here unrooted.

DirtDawg
August 1st, 2010, 08:13 PM

Gotta +1 that! I prefer dragging/dropping folders over syncing any time. Do yourself a favor and install SwiFTP from the market if you haven't already. It allows wireless file transfers over any network. Very cool (and it's free).

Strangely enough, iPhone market has NO FTP apps. Why? What reason could there possibly be for Steve Jobs not to allow FTP in the market?

Rockin' 10.1 on Evo with Froyo here unrooted.
How does the Flash perform? Can it play games as well as video? I'm excited about the OTA updates for Moto Droid rolling out on Tuesday. Been waiting months for Flash so I hope it lives up to my expectations!

stmiller
August 1st, 2010, 10:27 PM
Except that there's not a really good sync app. Notice I said "really" good, not sometimes okay, unless of course the Galaxy came with very good software.

Samsung has Windows syncing software for it if you use Outlook, etc.

But - my info is in the cloud. :) I have no use to plug something in USB, and hit sync. YMMV

It's amazing just to sign in with your gmail account, then all google services, contacts, everything is there and in sync.

DirtDawg
August 3rd, 2010, 06:10 AM
From what I've read, it sounds like the official Froyo update for the Droid will not include tethering or wifi hotspot abilities. Verizon commented that the phones' hardware does not support these features, but we know they do since rooted users running Froyo have been using them for some time now.

What gives? I don't want to root, but they're tempting me!

aysiu
August 3rd, 2010, 07:12 AM
I don't want to root, but they're tempting me! Rooting's not that scary. Do it. Cyanogen's Wiki has all the instructions for you.
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Full_Update_Guide_-_Motorola_Droid

HappinessNow
August 3rd, 2010, 07:18 AM
Rooting's not that scary. Do it. Cyanogen's Wiki has all the instructions for you.
with the Nexus One and LauncherPro Plus, I find it hard to want to root.

amitabhishek
August 3rd, 2010, 07:34 AM
HTC Magic 32B with Android 2.2 (Cyanogenmod 6 D/S) works really well alot better then stock 1.6 android

Same phone but with my own self compiled ROM. Will muster courage & post it on XDA when I iron out few crippling bugs! :)

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/4099/devicej.png

Amit

DirtDawg
August 3rd, 2010, 08:34 AM
Rooting's not that scary. Do it. Cyanogen's Wiki has all the instructions for you.

It's not actually fear that's kept me from rooting. I've just weighed the benefits vs drawbacks and decided that while rooting unlocks plenty of potential, for me, it's not worth the hassle.

But if there's no tethering after the official update? That would be a good case for rooting, to be sure.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and thanks for the link. I'll keep that bookmarked.

HappinessNow
August 3rd, 2010, 08:43 AM
It's not actually fear that's kept me from rooting. I've just weighed the benefits vs drawbacks and decided that while rooting unlocks plenty of potential, for me, it's not worth the hassle.

But if there's no tethering after the official update? That would be a good case for rooting, to be sure.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and thanks for the link. I'll keep that bookmarked.
I am running the official update of Froyo 2.2 build # FRF91 and USB Tethering and Wifi Hotspot are enabled by default on my Nexus One, but your hardware must support it also, I hear that the Motorola Droid does not support it.

DirtDawg
August 3rd, 2010, 08:58 AM
I am running the official update of Froyo 2.2 build # FRF91 and USB Tethering and Wifi Hotspot are enabled by default on my Nexus One, but your hardware must support it also, I hear that the Motorola Droid does not support it.

Rooters (if that's a word) have been using the Droid to tether for months now. I believe wifi hotspots work as well. That's what's odd about the decision to remove it from the original Android update. I mean, charge for the service, if nothing else. But for Verizon to outright say the hardware doesn't support tethering? Strange decision on their part, IMO.

HappinessNow
August 3rd, 2010, 09:02 AM
Rooters (if that's a word) have been using the Droid to tether for months now. I believe wifi hotspots work as well. That's what's odd about the decision to remove it from the original Android update. I mean, charge for the service, if nothing else. But for Verizon to outright say the hardware doesn't support tethering? Strange decision on their part, IMO.I have also been tethering for months now, since the Nexus One was one of the first to get the update...no need to root for such a function when you own the Google Nexus One.

DirtDawg
August 3rd, 2010, 11:58 PM
I have also been tethering for months now, since the Nexus One was one of the first to get the update...no need to root for such a function when you own the Google Nexus One.

It's too bad it doesn't look like there's going to be nexus 2.

Got my Froyo update today. Tethering is included so that's good. Haven't tried it yet, but word on the street is its a pay service. Which is fine. Flash isn't in the market by default either, but that's easy to download seperately. Animated gifs work now too :)