PDA

View Full Version : HDTV for Console Gaming

evo9
June 13th, 2010, 03:34 AM
Anyone know any good, up-to-date sites for reviews and comparisons on HDTV's performance for console gaming, both xbox and playsation? I can find a lot of sites for reviews but nothing really tells me how they perform while gaming.

Thanks!

pwnst*r
June 13th, 2010, 03:39 AM
Anyone know any good, up-to-date sites for reviews and comparisons on HDTV's performance for console gaming, both xbox and playsation? I can find a lot of sites for reviews but nothing really tells me how they perform while gaming.

Thanks!

AVSforum in my sig.

evo9
June 13th, 2010, 04:48 AM
AVSforums has alot of info on it, to be honest I don't really have a lot of time on my hands to be reading through forums atm. I'm looking more for a comparison site from a gamers standpoint. Everything I can find on google is way out dated.

Legendary_Bibo
June 13th, 2010, 04:56 AM
So you want to research something, but you want the research done for you?

Oi, allow me to educate you on basic things to look for in a TV that I remember looking through the Playstation forums

there's i and p TV's, as a gamer you want p, so instead of 1080i you'd want 1080p
i is interlaced
p is progressive
I'm not explaining them though

Generally you only need a TV with 120Hz, it has to do with the refresh rate. If it's lower you'll have some video tearing. I have a 60Hz and the "tearing" isn't that noticeable. It's not worth the extra bucks. I've heard of weird things happening for games with higher hertz.

You want a TV that supports HDMI 1.3 standards because that's what game consoles today use.

Higher contrast ratio is better

Plasma TV's no longer have burn in issues, and have great color, but aren't widely made anymore

Look for a lower mms response time.

There's more, but I don't feel like typing anymore.

evo9
June 13th, 2010, 05:11 AM
So you want to research something, but you want the research done for you?

Oi, allow me to educate you on basic things to look for in a TV that I remember looking through the Playstation forums

there's i and p TV's, as a gamer you want p, so instead of 1080i you'd want 1080p
i is interlaced
p is progressive
I'm not explaining them though

Generally you only need a TV with 120Hz, it has to do with the refresh rate. If it's lower you'll have some video tearing. I have a 60Hz and the "tearing" isn't that noticeable. It's not worth the extra bucks. I've heard of weird things happening for games with higher hertz.

You want a TV that supports HDMI 1.3 standards because that's what game consoles today use.

Higher contrast ratio is better

Plasma TV's no longer have burn in issues, and have great color, but aren't widely made anymore

Look for a lower mms response time.

There's more, but I don't feel like typing anymore.

Actually I do want to do the research, I'm just hoping someone can point me in a good direction to start, AVSforums being a site I don't currently have the time to tackle. Also thanks for the info but I know all the basics that I'm looking for, what I want to look at is reviews for specific tvs from gamers.

Legendary_Bibo
June 13th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Actually I do want to do the research, I'm just hoping someone can point me in a good direction to start, AVSforums being a site I don't currently have the time to tackle. Also thanks for the info but I know all the basics that I'm looking for, what I want to look at is reviews for specific tvs from gamers.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=best+hdtv+for+gaming

evo9
June 13th, 2010, 06:17 AM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=best+hdtv+for+gaming

Really? Do you think I didn't try google? Follow the link you just posted....notice the dates?

Let me quote myself here a sec

Everything I can find on google is way out dated.

So let me recap.

I'm looking for a site that has reviews posted by gamer for current TV's. Searching google has yielded plenty of results, all of which I've searched our long out dated.

So if you happen to know a site like this, please let me know, I'd appreciate it very much.

Legendary_Bibo
June 13th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Really? Do you think I didn't try google? Follow the link you just posted....notice the dates?

Let me quote myself here a sec

So let me recap.

I'm looking for a site that has reviews posted by gamer for current TV's. Searching google has yielded plenty of results, all of which I've searched our long out dated.

So if you happen to know a site like this, please let me know, I'd appreciate it very much.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/106/1060926p1.html

stick to gaming websites like ign, gamespot, engadget, kotaku. They generally have good reviews.