PDA

View Full Version : What do you install or configure first?

robofighter
June 13th, 2010, 02:25 AM
When you get a get a new distro from a clean install, what is the first thing you install or configure.

I setup the samba server, setup my IMs, install the firefox plugins and extensions, etc

Legendary_Bibo
June 13th, 2010, 02:55 AM
The GIMP, and then I go through the games in the software center to look for things I'd play when I'm bored. I also install Compiz and get it running.

NightwishFan
June 13th, 2010, 03:03 AM
A few tidbits and utilities, and I replace some of the default applications with ones of my preference. I install Exaile, The Gimp, Cheese, Liferea, and Guake. I set up my grub with acpi_backlight=vendor to work around my laptop screen issues, and set my swappiness to 100.

cariboo
June 13th, 2010, 03:12 AM
I usually install several packages, the first I always select is the ubuntu-restricted-extras meta package.

bigsmitty64
June 13th, 2010, 04:27 AM
I usually install several packages, the first I aleays select is the ubuntu-restricted-extras meta package.
+1 Then Gimp, then adblock plus.

Frogs Hair
June 13th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Install first , firewall is #1 .

CharlesA
June 13th, 2010, 05:45 AM
SSH is probably #1, followed by Samba and VirtualBox.

cariboo
June 13th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Install first , firewall is #1 .

The firewall is installed by default, it's called iptables. What you're installing is a frontend to set the rules. Ufw is also installed by default, so unless you need to set the rules via a gui, you don't need to install anything.

BTW, unless someone steps up to the plate and starts updating the unmaintained Firestarter, it will no longer work once Maverick is released.

NightwishFan
June 13th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Pity, I liked firestarter. I use gufw now though since I only need to edit basic rules.

WinterRain
June 13th, 2010, 06:30 AM
updates

garvinrick4
June 13th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Check the partners repository is installed, install the ubuntu-restricted-extras && update && upgrade and do my panels and edit menus and appearance while terminal is doing its thing. I believe in maverick I had to install gparted, compiz config, startupmanager, gpa and set up printer. It was ready to go in 20 minutes or so. Oh and import my bookmarks into firefox.

dtfinch
June 13th, 2010, 07:09 AM
One of the first applications I install is Blender, but before doing so:

First I fix that hugely annoying mouse cursor speed issue caused by Ubuntu being almost hardcoded for 400dpi mice while mine is 1600dpi, by adding 'xinput set-prop "PS/2+USB Mouse" "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" 2' to my startup applications.

Then install proprietary nvidia driver and get dual monitors working.

Then I change the appearance to something really easy to look at:
Window border: Gilouche (package gnome-theme-gilouche)
Controls: Clearlooks
Fonts: 9pt Liberation *
Visual Effects: None
Wallpaper: Flow.png (package gnome-backgrounds)
Cursor: still DMZ-White, but with busy cursor removed.

http://techminati.net/misc/desktop-thumb.jpg (http://techminati.net/misc/desktop.png)

lisati
June 13th, 2010, 07:21 AM
A habit I started with 7.04 (the first Ubuntu I used) was to install updates first. This happened to "cure" a couple of driver problems on the machine I was using at the time.

Then, if I'm on a machine using legacy grub and if I remember, it's time to tinker with menu.lst.

Next comes firefox plugins, email, and any files that I might had backed up.

After that, it's whatever I remember, whenever I remember it, e.g. codecs, restricted extras, etc.