PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lucid purple screen blocks recovery mode

jcoles
June 13th, 2010, 01:00 AM
I have a problem, so I boot in recovery mode. The Recovery Mode menu comes up, but when I press a cursor key, the purple Ubuntu screen comes up. I cannot get to the menu items that I need!

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

The recovery mode is supposed to provide a failsafe text-only environment.

Does anyone know what app puts up the purple screen?
I would really like to remove it.
I tried to install xdm, which I prefer, but keep running into the purple screen.
- With XDM installed, the purple screen comes up and blocks you from seeing anything. Fortunately, remote login by RDP still works.
- If you switch console (CTRL+ALT+Fn) back and forth a few times, the purple screen appears again. You have to go to a new console (F8 or even F9 instead of F7) and begin a new Gnome session. Eventually you run out of function keys...

Perhaps I'm using the wrong distribution. Ubuntu is friendly, but you pretty much have to use it exactly as it installs. Can someone recommend a distribution that puts more emphasis on stability?

squaregoldfish
June 13th, 2010, 09:32 AM
During bootup, pressing ESC hides the purple screen. Maybe it will work in your situation too. Just a thought.

There's also ways to get rid of it altogether, but I forget where at the minute. A bit of Googling should see you straight - try something like 'disable ubuntu splash screen'

Steve.