PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update Manager Hangs while downloading updates

yma981
June 13th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Hello

I am experiencing a Hang while downloading updates using the Update Manager. I have 61 packages in order to update my system.

Every time i try to install the updates, the download hangs for a large period of time, I tried to change the server i changed the server (US) to Main Server and the problem persists!!!

Help please.

Regards

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

rtimai
June 13th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Don't know... but a recent update (last week?) did take a long time to download, maybe a kernel update. I went to bed and had to get up later in the night to shut down. Try letting the update process sit for an hour or more, see if there's been any progress.

Otherwise, you may need to provide more details of any recent changes you made before the symptoms started to give the experts additional clues.

Good luck...

yma981
June 24th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Hello again I tried to download the updates again, but the same problem remained, i don't know if it is caused by my ubuntu configuration or the Ubuntu update server? I had around 135 MB of updates including the newest kernel. it took more than 8 hours to finish and during that A LOT of download rate "unknown" which is equivalent of stopping the update download to periods and re-initiating the updates download again, it stayed like that until it finished. Any idea?

syamkumar
June 25th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Hello

I am experiencing a Hang while downloading updates using the Update Manager. I have 61 packages in order to update my system.

Every time i try to install the updates, the download hangs for a large period of time, I tried to change the server i changed the server (US) to Main Server and the problem persists!!!

Help please.

Regards

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

I am also facing this this problem... i tried many times but still it hangs...!!!

syamkumar
June 27th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Try with other servers then it will work fine.... i tried with Main Server and its working fine for me....!!!

yma981
July 7th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Try with other servers then it will work fine.... i tried with Main Server and its working fine for me....!!!

I changed servers many times as stated earlier, but the hangs remained. it takes too long to download the updates and it disconnect multiple times in the process.

rtimai
July 8th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Ah, I don't think you mentioned it, but you do have a broadband connection, correct? If you have a dialup connection over a plain old telephone line, many plans have a cap on usage. I don't think many Linux users are on dialup, but I thought I'd mention it...

Although your problem is an "upgrade" issue, technically yours is a networking issue, since your internet connection performance is the problem. You probably will get more qualified help if you go back to the main ubuntuforums.org page, select the Networking and Wireless forum, and post your difficulty there. Someone will probably give you instructions for getting diagnostic information, which will give a better idea of what you need to fix.

Good luck...

yma981
July 8th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Ah, I don't think you mentioned it, but you do have a broadband connection, correct? If you have a dialup connection over a plain old telephone line, many plans have a cap on usage. I don't think many Linux users are on dialup, but I thought I'd mention it...

Although your problem is an "upgrade" issue, technically yours is a networking issue, since your internet connection performance is the problem. You probably will get more qualified help if you go back to the main ubuntuforums.org page, select the Networking and Wireless forum, and post your difficulty there. Someone will probably give you instructions for getting diagnostic information, which will give a better idea of what you need to fix.

Good luck...

I have DSL 256 Kbps and when i am downloading files from internet using my browser or the download manager it remains constant and reliable.