PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Newbie Setup Questions on PostFix and Eth1

ajfletcher
June 12th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Hey all, I just made the leap to Ubuntu 10.04 Server Edition. Previously I used a dedicated hosting plan with cPanel. I decided setup my own box and only use the command line for this new dedicated server. Its up and running now in my place of business and wow its a lot faster than my old CentOS with cPanel dedicated hosting plan that I paid $145 a month.

Well so far things have gone rather well. I have Apache setup, with three Virtual Websites ported over and seem to be running fine (even faster than before) with mySQL, PHP etc. There are however a couple of things that I can't get my head around.

1. Okay I setup POSTFIX but I have no clue how to use it. For example I have three sites running and I want each to have a "webmaster@site1.com" "webmaster@site2.com" and "webmaster@site3.com" These are all virtual sites created and running off my home directory. How the heck do I setup email accounts for these sites? Is there a nice HOWTO I can use?

2. Lastly, my server has two Ethernet Ports and I have two dedicated IP addresses so I thought, hey I can setup both. Well I did that and added eth1 to the /network/interfaces and then all of a sudden eth0 stopped sending webpages but you could still ping it. Then I thought, Okay I know what I will edit sites-available and instead of using <VirtualHost *:80> I would use <VirtualHost XXX.XX.XXX.X:80> (XXX being the actual IP address) and all I got was a big error.

Right now I have removed eth1 for the moment and things are working again

Sorry if these are basic questions but I feel I have made progress setting up my First Ubuntu box from scratch and not using cPanel or other GUI. It's actually pretty easy.