PDA

View Full Version : SysAdmin needed for School Project

CactusPowered
June 12th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Hey Everyone,

I've been to these forums a number of times over the past few years, but this is the first time I've posted anything.

I'm currently in a Technical Writing course in UCF, and I have a rhetorical discourse analysis project coming up in the next couple days. As part of the project, I am required to interview an acting systems administrator, or someone in a similar position, and ask them questions relating to their position, as well as their methods of communication.

I came here because as part of the full project, I chose Canonical and the Ubuntu community as the basis. While it is not required that the interview subject work with either one as part of his or her job, I figured that this would lead to the best chance of finding a person that could speak with a better perspective of the Ubuntu community mindset.

If you work in one of these positions, and have 15 or 20 minutes to spare, it would be a really big help for me and my project. You can PM me, email me, or post here, and I'll get in touch with you.

That, and now that I'm registered, I may as well start posting!

Thanks!

~Chris

llawwehttam
June 12th, 2010, 08:58 PM
There are a lot of people here with that sort of job but mostly the people here are part time computer geeks.

You may have some luck but you would be better off finding a tech in a school near you and talking to them in person.

cariboo
June 12th, 2010, 09:43 PM
To be picky, everyone that runs a Linux variant and has root access is a system administrator, I believe you should be a little more specific.

CactusPowered
June 13th, 2010, 12:22 AM
How ironic that I fail to communicate the purpose of a project in a technical communications course.

To be more specific, I'm looking for someone who handles the above circumstance in a working environment, or as part of their job description. Even if it's not something they would put on their business card, I'm interested in anyone who handles a lot of communications related to a server or network based environment. My questions relate not just to their job, but how they talk with people in similar fields.

cprofitt
June 13th, 2010, 02:19 AM
I am a systems administrator and work with Windows, OS X and Linux. I support ~7000 users, ~3200 workstations and 33 servers.

PM me for more details.

Legendary_Bibo
June 13th, 2010, 02:59 AM
To be picky, everyone that runs a Linux variant and has root access is a system administrator, I believe you should be a little more specific.

Really? Sweet, I just a job title without doing anything. Time to celebrate my hard work with a game of Open arena. :D

To the OP I am currently employed as a Systems Admin. of my own computer ensuring that this laptop is up and running whenever I want to. You should know the importance of relaying important at all times, or else you'll end up with a frustrated employee/employer. I have to argue with this guy on a daily basis because he hates listening to the voices in his head.

:D

CactusPowered
June 13th, 2010, 05:45 AM
I have cprofitt's assistance. Thanks, all!