PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which Driver to use for Powercolor ATI 9550 graphics card

deecrypt
June 12th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Hi all,
I am a newbie and have Ubuntu 10.04 LTS installed on desktop machine. Attempting to figure out which driver should I install for my ATI Powercolor 9550 graphics card (product number R96-LD3). I looked at the Synaptic Package Manager and searched for "ati". This returns a few drivers some which are installed. How can I determine which one goes with my graphics card.

I have gone to the amd/ati website and found that my graphics card is listed under the ATI Catalyst Driver version 9.3. Should I try this before installing a package from the Synaptic Package Manager or should I exaust all options from Synaptic Package Manager first.

My issue is that streaming from websites seems to be clunkier than when I was running Windows XP on the same machine. I am attempting to see if it is a driver issue.

Thank you in advance for your help

eyeofreason
June 12th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I'm no expert on this issue by any means but i used to have a Radeon. It didn't matter if it was catalyst from amd/ati or the repos my system would "HANG" on boot every time. Then I would half to reinstall the os. After much searching, In fact it's the reason I joined this site. I tossed the card and bought a Nvidia.

Sorry I know that is not what you want to here but be careful!

PinchedNerve
June 12th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Go to (System - Administration - Hardware Drivers) & use the one there.