PDA

View Full Version : great comparison between iOS, Android and WebOS

madjr
June 12th, 2010, 07:31 PM
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/17/2010/06/500x_webos-head-pic.jpg

http://lifehacker.com/5561282/iphone-vs-android-vs-webos-a-counterpoint

very fair and well put, read all the points

i love android, but i think webOS can become an awesome player in the market soon if HP does it well.

Aflack
June 12th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I like how they said the iphone doesnt have syncing or nongoogle syncing.

Steam.
June 12th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Android eats the **** out of the iPhone OS, there are so many people that havent tried Android.Everywhere you'll see an Apple fanboy saying this: OMG APPLE IS AWESOME, I HAZ THE IPHONE ITS GREAT, THIS PHONE SUCKS.Pretty much everything you see on any unboxing vid on YT that aint the iPhone.

Haven't tried webOS, but from what i read and saw, it seems pretty good.

Aflack
June 12th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I tried android and i like ios better :p but im not like blatantly shouting it out and saying no matter what it will always be better. just in my opinion it is. and i like how it says android and iphone dont have notification systems lmfao.

im not going to trust anything from lifehacker anymore in terms of reviews or comparisons.

murderslastcrow
June 12th, 2010, 09:57 PM
I think this is a lot like the Desktop Environment battle. Some people think one is less user friendly when it's simply different. You have to take the overall design into account, and how well that design functions for the user.

iOS and Android seem pretty evenly matched according to that review. :3 And Android has plenty of room to grow.

beastrace91
June 12th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Heh. Wanna talk about under represented awesome smart phones N900/Maemo is amazing.

~Jeff

madjr
June 12th, 2010, 11:28 PM
I tried android and i like ios better :p but im not like blatantly shouting it out and saying no matter what it will always be better. just in my opinion it is. and i like how it says android and iphone dont have notification systems lmfao.

im not going to trust anything from lifehacker anymore in terms of reviews or comparisons.

is not a comparison chart of features

is who wins

clearly you didnt read it, just looked at the chart...

must read in order to understand the review

madjr
June 12th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Heh. Wanna talk about under represented awesome smart phones N900/Maemo is amazing.

~Jeff

yes it is, but maemo is no more, so they might do one about meego in the future

Aflack
June 13th, 2010, 12:05 AM
is not a comparison chart of features

is who wins

clearly you didnt read it, just looked at the chart...

must read in order to understand the review
The chart is still bull.

corney91
June 13th, 2010, 01:17 AM
I didn't like the article... first of all, Android is good at multitasking and people don't need task killers - just because they're available doesn't mean people need to use them.
Secondly, nobody cares about customizing the kernel on the phone - you could argue that Android and iOS don't need it, which would be a point to them :rolleyes:
And just deciding that it's the stock music players to compare?
The whole piece is very non-specific in its comparisons and generally only compares bits where WebOS is better. I have no doubt WebOS is good but the cockiness and fanboi-ism of the writer was obvious. I'm aware it was written by a reader but, still, I think some of the points were very biased.

jeremyswalker
June 13th, 2010, 01:25 AM
yes it is, but maemo is no more, so they might do one about meego in the future

Where did you hear that Maemo is no more? Maemo and Meego do not target the same devices. It is my understanding that Meego is targeted at netbooks and the like, not smartphones. I also could not find anything on maemo.org about it being "no more".

LeifAndersen
June 13th, 2010, 01:39 AM
And lets not forget the open nature of the platform to allow apps to be written in HTML, CSS, Javascript, or C/C++ if you want

Um...you can write apps in all of those languages for Android, I don't see how that makes webOS 'more' open than android. (Also, the iPhone let's you use those languages too, well, I don't know about HTML and CSS, also, I wouldn't call them 'languages').

Android is open source for its core OS and allows installing apps from outside of the marketplace but so does webOS.

Really? I don't remember webOS being open source. (Call me pedantic, but that's a poor choice of words, unless webOS really is open source).

Google also loses by making their "default" apps (Gmail, Maps, etc.) completely closed source and even takes down anyone who tries to share them. Palm on the other hand has written every built in app according to the standards they hold their developers to and made the apps all open source so you could see exactly how they built the app.

Sure, some of the apps are closed, but others are open, such as the web browser, and the home app. Also, Google does make their default apps using the SAME sdk, using the SAME APIs that developers have access to. (Granted, they did make the APIs). So, the only company that you can hold that argument to (out of the three), is Apple, who has their own 'special' APIs that only they can use.

Android and webOS are both fairly open, but webOS is more open and is the winner here.

I can't argue that, as I haven't actually used webOS (or researched it much), the only reason I could argue the other points is because I'm only pointing inaccuracies they have about android, and taking their comments on webOS at face value.

Okay, I'm done, not going to go onto the other points...if it makes you feel any better, when I read the original article several days ago, I also got to the keyboard section and stopped. It claimed to be a review for 'power users', and started complaining about the 'out-of-the-box' keyboard. It would be okay if they said it was just a regular review for regular users, or if the keyboard was a bit tricky to install (compiling it from source etc. etc), but as long as the keyboard is only a trip to the market place, and another button click away, you can't claim to be a review for 'power users', and talk about the 'out-of-the-box' experience like that (well, you can, but I'll think it's dumb ;) ).

I'm not saying Android's better than webOS, as I said, I haven't tried webOS, so it might be, but that article wasn't very good, in my opinion anyway.

madverb
June 13th, 2010, 03:49 AM
It's not even a good comparison let alone great. It's just a stupid rant by someone who doesn't even seem to understand the tech he is talking about.
Rant != article, especially with the spelling mistakes.

Kaner
June 13th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Android eats the **** out of the iPhone OS, there are so many people that havent tried Android.Everywhere you'll see an Apple fanboy saying this: OMG APPLE IS AWESOME, I HAZ THE IPHONE ITS GREAT, THIS PHONE SUCKS.Pretty much everything you see on any unboxing vid on YT that aint the iPhone.

Haven't tried webOS, but from what i read and saw, it seems pretty good.

Android phones do eat ****, at least many of them do anyway. Google leaves it to the vendors to support updates and many manufacturers aren`t bothering to do it, or as in the case of the Samsung Galaxy have no intention of supporting any updates. Many Android users are now stuck with phones that can`t be updated unless they root their phones and install third party updates that may or may not work. Google really has to resolve this issue and either supply the updates themselves (like Apple does)or pressure the manufacturers to do it. I have an Android phone and I`m one of those unable to receive updates. Once the new iPhone becomes available here in Canada in July, I`ll be ditching this piece of junk and getting one, at least Apple supports their products.

Cam42
June 13th, 2010, 04:37 AM
hmmm. HTML is HyperText Markup LANGUAGE.

I think it's a language. ;)

pwnst*r
June 13th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Android eats the **** out of the iPhone OS,

Wrong.

corney91
June 13th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Android phones do eat ****, at least many of them do anyway. Google leaves it to the vendors to support updates and many manufacturers aren`t bothering to do it, or as in the case of the Samsung Galaxy have no intention of supporting any updates. Many Android users are now stuck with phones that can`t be updated unless they root their phones and install third party updates that may or may not work. Google really has to resolve this issue and either supply the updates themselves (like Apple does)or pressure the manufacturers to do it. I have an Android phone and I`m one of those unable to receive updates. Once the new iPhone becomes available here in Canada in July, I`ll be ditching this piece of junk and getting one, at least Apple supports their products.

Google supports their products... it's the manufacturers who aren't... I'm quite happy with my HTC Desire, even though it's on 2.1 and 2.2's out - I bought the phone how I expect to use it, not in the knowledge that it'll get updated every few months. And how often does iOS get updated anyway? :confused:

HappinessNow
June 13th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Wrong.It is hard to compare a fourth generation iPhone 4 device to a first or second generation Android device.

That said I like my Nexus One (ATT 3G version) better then any current iPhone but I haven't tried the new iPhone 4, yet I also haven't tried the new Android OS "Froyo" version either.

NOTE: to the OP I didn't bother reading the article you posted about, I was more interested in responding to pwnst*r. ;-)

gnomeuser
June 13th, 2010, 01:41 PM

~Jeff

If by amazing you mean utter non-working crap which has even be abandoned by it's makers.. then yes.

Oh gog I hate my N900. It is unstable, slow, laggy, the hardware configuration has plugs in all the wrong places, the software is poorly maintained and poorly tested. I don't have the wonderful synchronization options offered by Android.

As a plus it does have a full Skype implementation that supposedly now does videocalls. However this for me falls over, disconnects or is extremely noisy regardless of the conditions it is put under.

The hardware keyboard is great though, provided you don't intend to listen to music at the same time on account of the damn plug being in the way.

Oh and the battery lasts maybe 5-6 hours in use so expect the N900 to be more phone than mobile.

My favorite thing in Maemo is the interaction model, it is very well designed, everything works the same and it feels some what logical.

Sadly the system settings aren't as neatly organized as in Android but the app closing animation is beautiful, I occasionally open apps just to watch them dissolve in a cloud of pixelated stars.

The N900 and Maemo should be carried off to the graveyard and forgotten. Both are horrible products.

If only there was an Android phone with a Danish hardware keyboard (I've only seen the Droid/Milestone and that doesn't come with a DK keyboard), or an Android port for the N900.

gnomeuser
June 13th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Where did you hear that Maemo is no more? Maemo and Meego do not target the same devices. It is my understanding that Meego is targeted at netbooks and the like, not smartphones. I also could not find anything on maemo.org about it being "no more".

MeeGo is the full replacement for both Maemo and Moblin. They aim to put the same core OS on all kinds of devices not just phones and netbooks just with different UI experiences on top.

It's fairly clever but ultimatively doomed since they are directly competeting against Android in every market they envisioned for themselves. Taking on Google and the hundreds of companies who are investing in the platform just isn't likely to work, especially when they can't compete on features.

Maemo will continued to be kept alive for the duration of the N900's lifetime (and other products should any exist), purely for support purposes, all active development is taking place in MeeGo. Certain things are still being worked on, e.g. the PR1.2 update for the N900 brought Skype videocalls to the N900. Largely though it is correct to consider it dead.

philinux
June 13th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I've had the pre since last October and it's a fine piece of kit.

The OS is great. Excellent multitasking. Occasional lockups last year but the latest version seams a lot more stable.

gnomeuser
June 13th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I've had the pre since last October and it's a fine piece of kit.

The OS is great. Excellent multitasking. Occasional lockups last year but the latest version seams a lot more stable.

Just out of interest, is Synergy as awesome as it sounds?

LeifAndersen
June 13th, 2010, 03:59 PM
hmmm. HTML is HyperText Markup LANGUAGE.

I think it's a language. ;)

Mmm...fine. You win. Let me correct myelf...I wouldn't count it as a 'programming language'. Happy? :P

Dr. C
June 13th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Lets no forget Symbian (http://www.symbian.org/) which is currently being released as FLOSS

MCVenom
June 13th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Wow, you got a Samsung phone? No wonder you're ticked, you should have gotten a better phone... If you get a low-end phone, don't expect to be on the bleeding edge. The MotoDroid, for example is old by smartphone standards by now... but it's still getting updates and has a thriving hacking/modding community. :P

Go back to Apple if you want to. I personally will continue to do what I want and not what Emperor Jobs wants.

(P.S.: As of today, my Droid is running Froyo. It's the fastest amd most awesome my phone's ever been. I'm not leaving this thing for a looooong time :P)

philinux
June 13th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Just out of interest, is Synergy as awesome as it sounds?

I've got evolution synced with google and my personal calendars and contacts from yahoo, hotmail etc and they all turn up on the pre. Very nice.

Also the size of the pre is perfect. Not too big. Querty keyboard is a bit fiddly at first.