PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Video Events for new OS release

GreenDance
June 12th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I was wondering, do Ubuntu have events (like when apple introduce a new OS) and with video, Thanks.

Merk42
June 12th, 2010, 12:31 PM
The only thing close I can think of is the Ubuntu Developer Summit (http://www.youtube.com/user/ubuntudevelopers) which happens about a week or two after a release.

The Plenary sessions at UDS would be the particular videos close to the sort of thing you're thinking of

Frogs Hair
June 12th, 2010, 07:54 PM
The Ubuntu loCo teams have annual meetings and events for team members. (Non Video)

quinnten83
June 12th, 2010, 09:26 PM
We just don't much care for that sort of fanfare..
Us is simple folk that are interested in sharing and openness and don't need to be flashy (and elitist to some extent)!!

murderslastcrow
June 12th, 2010, 09:52 PM
It's true- we focus more on functionality and improvements than glorifying our successes.

jerenept
June 12th, 2010, 10:38 PM
The event is- staying up all night to overload the servers.

Little Bones
June 12th, 2010, 10:48 PM
The event is- staying up all night to overload the servers.

Instead of LoCos and the UDS spending cashola on making videos, I propose they use it to buy kegs of beer instead.

DeadSuperHero
June 13th, 2010, 01:56 AM
I personally think they should start doing it. Not that Ubuntu's a bad linux distribution...no, on the contrary I think it would be beneficial to hype actual features, as well as compare them to other distributions/operating systems.

A little hype can go a long way, after all. Most of Mark's UDS presentations are quite good as well. By showcasing some of the core features in new versions, they could generate quite a lot of excitement from users.

GreenDance
June 16th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I personally think they should start doing it. Not that Ubuntu's a bad linux distribution...no, on the contrary I think it would be beneficial to hype actual features, as well as compare them to other distributions/operating systems.

A little hype can go a long way, after all. Most of Mark's UDS presentations are quite good as well. By showcasing some of the core features in new versions, they could generate quite a lot of excitement from users.

Could anyone hold an event to drive up hype for ubuntu or does it have to be someone @ the top of ubuntu?

lz1dsb
June 16th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Well if the presentations aren't like Steve Job's;) Not that I don't appreciate what he has done for the industry, but recently I'm getting quite frustrated. For every "new" feature, he's talking like Apple has invented it, which off course is not always true...

Simian Man
June 16th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I don't think the world needs any more Ubuntu hype.

MCVenom
June 16th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I don't think the world needs any more Ubuntu hype.
Why not? You act as if everyone knows about it already :P