PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu for the general public

fremantle
June 12th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Ubuntu 10.10 LNX Version

you can find our project blog here >> lnxware.tumblr.com
1. Create a ubuntu that works out of the box and has everything that an average user might need from the moment he boots his pc.
2. Remove some packages which are rarely used.
3. Remove all default Ubuntu packages with new, innovative and stable applications that do all the required tasks with ease and perfection. Its been along time since the first release of Ubuntu, but theres rarely been any significant changes in the default application bundle. So, its time for change.

Sef
June 12th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Moved to community cafe. Link removed because it went back to ubuntuforums.

murderslastcrow
June 12th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Yeah, I'd much rather have a spinoff that's just "Ubuntu with the stuff most people end up installing." I don't need Linux Mint or SuperOS with all this extra branding trying to make itself really unique and all that. Just give me Ubuntu with restricted extras, 7zip, and SimpleCompizConfig, and it'll save me a lot of time.

I've just been respinning it myself each new release for that reason- I have a lot of friends and relatives, and upgrading's really the only thing I ever have occasion to do for them (they don't have any problems with it, ever, they just want the newest stuff).

Most of the time a simple upgrade works, but sometimes there are new features you can't just upgrade into. Until they started using ppa:<whatevertheappis>, I had to help them find the new URL for their sources, too, each upgrade.

So things are much simpler today, but if you can make it simpler, why not? Hopefully some day we don't have legal restrictions over the formats we use. Maybe some day people will use and widely support open formats that are already available and superior, today, just not so common. Then we could just leave the restricted packages alone forever. :P

Jay Car
June 12th, 2010, 06:05 AM
...Hopefully some day we don't have legal restrictions over the formats we use. Maybe some day people will use and widely support open formats that are already available and superior, today, just not so common. Then we could just leave the restricted packages alone forever. :P

Well said! That would solve sooo many problems. Let's hope "some day" isn't too far off in the future.

Timmer1240
June 12th, 2010, 06:28 AM
When I first installed Ubuntu I honestly didnt think much of it but the possibility's are endless!If I would of judged the book by its cover I wouldnt have stayed!Looks can be deceiving this thing is simply awesome!Ive got her lookin just like I want it can look like any OS you want!Ubuntu Rocks ***!Dont judge a book by its cover this thing could be a best seller!

fremantle
June 12th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Ubuntu's been using alot of packages for each release over and over again in their package bundle. But theres a whole lot of awesome stuff out there that people dont know of and might be useful to make ubuntu better. For example, peole who do p2p can use vuze/miro to instantly download and watch their media. but ubuntu has transmission built in with no support of avi. In our case, we know how to make things better. download vuze, deluge, utorrent (ur choice) get vlc and bang. but ALOT of people dont know all these stuff. they just want their pc to work for them. thats as simple as it gets. it is the MAJOR reason why users first started to move from windows to macs. So yeah, we are trying to bring that into ubuntu so that its will have everything, NEW and also old, to make computers work best for general users. imagine some 40 yr old guy who decides to get linux, he wont want to learn to use the terminal or to run around in ubuntuforums to get a solution. he would just want to sit there on his computer and do everything he wants to do w/o any issues. That is what we are trying to make. UBUNTU for the people.

fremantle
June 12th, 2010, 07:46 AM
dunno whys the link not working. just find our tumblr page @lnxware

John Bean
June 12th, 2010, 08:09 AM
imagine some 40 yr old guy

...like Linus Torvalds, say. Must seem impossibly old to you, eh? ;-)

bigsmitty64
June 12th, 2010, 08:18 AM
" imagine some 40 yr old guy who decides to get linux, he wont want to learn to use the terminal or to run around in ubuntuforums to get a solution"

HAHAHA! I'm 46 and I've been doing that for about a year now. Its how I learned though.

cariboo
June 12th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I think I feel insulted, I was using the command line way before the op was even born.

:lolflag:

wilee-nilee
June 12th, 2010, 08:52 AM
" imagine some 40 yr old guy who decides to get linux, he wont want to learn to use the terminal or to run around in ubuntuforums to get a solution"

HAHAHA! I'm 46 and I've been doing that for about a year now. Its how I learned though.

I started 3 years ago at 43, but I have half a brain, on a good day.

For the OP there is excellent scientific evidence that shows being older is a advantage in most every area except in hearing certain high pitches. You are trying to do something that isn't even needed.

John Bean
June 12th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I think I feel insulted, I was using the command line way before the op was even born.

Possibly even before the op's parents were born in my case ;-)

Timmer1240
June 12th, 2010, 01:05 PM

Im 46 too and Ubuntu is awesome dont count us older guys and gals out!

Timmer1240
June 12th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Im getting alot more Joy using Linux than I ever did with windows It works is fast as hell and stable!And a TON of free applications to do as you will!

Timmer1240
June 12th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I feel Ubuntu is ready Im using it and its great!

Dai Bando
June 12th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Im getting alot more Joy using Linux than I ever did with windows It works is fast as hell and stable!And a TON of free applications to do as you will!
I am 80 yrs old and the only operating system I use is Ubuntu with no problems at all.
Removed Windows 98st five years ago and never missed it.

standingwave
June 12th, 2010, 02:18 PM
imagine some 40 yr old guy I'm fifty and most people my age who are into computers cut our teeth on the command line. I think the computer-using age group most averse to CLI is probably the thirty-somethings.

Merk42
June 12th, 2010, 02:25 PM
If you plan on making this more well know, I'm pretty sure you can't put the word "Ubuntu" in the distro name, besides isn't regular Ubuntu itself geared towards the general public?

Also, hilariously stretched image you have on your page there

Frogs Hair
June 12th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I think and I am part of the general public , I use Windows and Ubuntu and both of my Ubuntu operating systems have worked out of the box . I enjoy the terminal and learning about the shells and scripts ,

cprofitt
June 12th, 2010, 04:14 PM
This is what happens when the 'digital natives' fail to realize who built the stuff they are using.

pfft!

:p

GraysonPeddie
June 15th, 2010, 05:05 AM
I found the thread through Assistive Technology and Accessibility. Whoops... :(

It's like this thread has nothing to do when it comes to people with disabilities. I think we all need to be careful when starting a thread in the forum that is not related to assistive technologies as every topic that does not belong in an accessibility forum can be very annoying for people who have disabilities.

Please pardon me for making such an off-topic post. It's something that I like to mention it to everyone out there.