PDA

View Full Version : sue apple

tkblackbelt
June 11th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Just seen a ipad commcercial and it said all the worlds websites in your hands. But.... the ipad doesn't support flash websites so thats false advertising.

pwnst*r
June 11th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Worst thread ever.

FuturePilot
June 11th, 2010, 11:38 PM
riveting tale, chap.

tkblackbelt
June 11th, 2010, 11:46 PM
This is a very serious event and must be taken seriously.

pwnst*r
June 11th, 2010, 11:46 PM
**taps out**

Tibuda
June 11th, 2010, 11:50 PM
what is this i dont even...

schauerlich
June 11th, 2010, 11:51 PM
This is a very serious event and must be taken seriously.

ITT: Serious Business

new_tolinux
June 11th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Just seen a ipad commcercial and it said all the worlds websites in your hands. But.... the ipad doesn't support flash websites so thats false advertising.
You did never say anything that wasn't 100% correct?

And you did get sued for that?

Come on, let's get real, it isn't the 8PM news bulletin, it's a commercial. We all should know perfectly well that commercials have their own version of the truth.

Frak
June 11th, 2010, 11:57 PM
ITT: Serious Business
ITT: Srs Bsns

juancarlospaco
June 11th, 2010, 11:59 PM
ಠ_ಠ

Mr. Picklesworth
June 12th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I think their statement is pretty accurate, in that the standard part of the web (the part that they, themselves, can support) is indeed “in your hands.”

The non-standard part — the part Adobe controls — is a different story. But even if they supported that, what about Java? VRML? ActiveX? Every other web plugin in existence?

Legendary_Bibo
June 12th, 2010, 12:02 AM
ITT: Srs Bsns
4 r3alz gies!

whiskeylover
June 12th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Frigid narrative, sibling.

chris200x9
June 12th, 2010, 12:51 AM

Come on, let's get real, it isn't the 8PM news bulletin, it's a commercial. We all should know perfectly well that commercials have their own version of the truth.

yes but in a world where some one can sue and win for coffee not being labled hot, and google can be sued for you getting hit by a car (a case she will lose, but probably win when she goes after her phone company after) In this kind of world why is it ok for advertisers to tell half truths? People have sued and won for less. Just my opinion...

new_tolinux
June 12th, 2010, 01:54 AM
yes but in a world where some one can sue and win for coffee not being labled hot, and google can be sued for you getting hit by a car (a case she will lose, but probably win when she goes after her phone company after) In this kind of world why is it ok for advertisers to tell half truths? People have sued and won for less. Just my opinion...
People have sued and won for less indeed, I know, it's common that about everyone can win a case without arguments. It's not only USA, other parts of the world also.

Remains the question if that's right. I think not.

Ok, it isn't right for companies either, but name me a commercial of any company which tells exactly the truth without any glitches. You probably can't. That's why it's called advertising, it's just to let you think that product x is better than all the rest. So the good things are mentioned, the bad things are kept in silence and "almost everything" becomes "everything" since every second has to be payed for.

But if it isn't right to sue anybody without real arguments, then don't do it.
Therefore, like I said: come on, let's get real

By the way, I know that the news companies don't verify their stories either, taking the impossible case of a little kid in 1 weather balloon which was breaking news. So maybe I wasn't correct to compare it with the 8PM news bulletin, since it's probably more about "it's on tv so it doesn't have to be correct" instead of "it's not the news so it doesn't have to be be correct".

chris200x9
June 12th, 2010, 02:27 AM
But if it isn't right to sue anybody without real arguments, then don't do it.
Therefore, like I said: come on, let's get real

let p = iphone can browse everything let q = i can browse this site:

p ^ ~q -> ~p

my argument...

Ric_NYC
June 12th, 2010, 03:30 AM
http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/1538/alicey.png

magmon
June 12th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Just saw an ipad commercial and it said all the worlds' websites in your hands. But.... the ipad doesn't support flash websites, so that's false advertising.

Cool story bro.

jfloydb
June 12th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Worst thread ever.

Whew... Let's me off the hook!

Dr. C
June 12th, 2010, 04:05 AM
I think their statement is pretty accurate, in that the standard part of the web (the part that they, themselves, can support) is indeed “in your hands.”

The non-standard part — the part Adobe controls — is a different story. But even if they supported that, what about Java? VRML? ActiveX? Every other web plugin in existence?

It is not just that Apple does not support flash it is that they go out of their way to prevent others from supporting flash on their platform. The same can be said for many other technologies. The statement is very misleading to anyone who has downloaded and installed software to make a website work on GNU / Linux or Microsoft Windows.

Suing may at this point not be the best option but a complaint to your government consumer affairs agency over false advertising may be in order.

samjh
June 12th, 2010, 04:37 AM
Just seen a ipad commcercial and it said all the worlds websites in your hands. But.... the ipad doesn't support flash websites so thats false advertising.Marbles.

False advertising generally doesn't include mere puffery. No reasonable person would think "all the world's websites in your hands" is intended to be taken seriously, or induce someone in the iPad's market demographic to purchase the product.

As a comparison, a university or college can claim that it is "the most innovative in the country" or has "world-class researchers". Both are mere puffery. Likewise, a car manufacturer might say one of its car models has "comfortable leather seats", but the mere fact some people find them uncomfortable does not mean the statement is false advertising. Would any reasonable person truly believe that a brand of laundry detergent will make their clothes "whiter than white"? Most likely not.

McRat
June 12th, 2010, 06:31 AM

Good luck with that! :D

If you want a number for an attorney, PM me, I have 3 I've used in the last 3 years.

If you want the number for a GOOD attorney, maybe someone else can chip in, or find a good necromancer.

YuiDaoren
June 12th, 2010, 07:14 AM
I knew a girl named "Sue Apple" back in university. Nice girl, smart. Not at all like this thread. :P

Legendary_Bibo
June 12th, 2010, 07:22 AM
That's impressive compression techniques. They really downloaded the internet into the iPad?

schauerlich
June 12th, 2010, 08:06 AM
That's impressive compression techniques. They really downloaded the internet into the iPad?

I invented a compression algorithm that can take a 1TB file and reduce it to only ~5KB.*

* TODO: invent decompression algorithm

sudoer541
June 13th, 2010, 05:44 AM

[Sarcasm]
oooooooooooooooook! Lets sue Canonical for false advertising!!!!
Canonical promises ubuntu to work with MSN and my webcam does not work at all!!! my friend cant even send me a cam request!!! [sarcasm]

TheNerdAL
June 13th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Let's sue McDonald's for giving us small burgers that don't look like the ones in the commercials. :lolflag:

Legendary_Bibo
June 13th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Let's sue anybody who sues.

Lucradia
June 13th, 2010, 06:15 AM
[Sarcasm]
oooooooooooooooook! Lets sue Canonical for false advertising!!!!
Canonical promises ubuntu to work with MSN and my webcam does not work at all!!! my friend cant even send me a cam request!!! [sarcasm]

Let's... close this thread.

Letrazzrot
June 13th, 2010, 07:26 AM
I sued Pringles, because I popped the top and then stopped.
Then I sued AT&T, because I wasn't able to actually touch anyone with it.
Now I'm suing Wheaties, because I am still not a champion after all these bowls.

Next up: Gilette, KFC, and the Army.

I'm gonna be so rich...

samjh
June 13th, 2010, 08:19 AM
I invented a compression algorithm that can take a 1TB file and reduce it to only ~5KB.*

* TODO: invent decompression algorithm

I've already invented an algorithm to reduce files of any size to just 0 bytes!!!

It's pending patent approval (which will surely be) and is called DELETE TM.

:twisted:

:roll:

clarknick67
June 13th, 2010, 10:11 AM

yeah, just tell the truth

Zerocool Djx
June 13th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I suppose this is a good thread to further flame my Adobe and Ubuntu partnership..

Merk42
June 13th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I suppose this is a good thread to further flame my Adobe and Ubuntu partnership..
This thread is about Apple, so I don't think it's a good thread to do that.
Of course, I don't think this is a good thread at all either.

Dr. C
June 13th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Few people take Latin is school these days, but those of us who did learned that the plural of Apple and Evil are the same word in Latin Mala.

Maybe the Romans knew something 2000 years ago.

squilookle
June 13th, 2010, 06:02 PM
The iPad advert claims that the iPad is magical.

We should definately sue them over that. ;)

On a serious note, it is well known that the iPad doesn't support flash, and Apple would probably argue that flash is not relevant. Steve Jobs has been arguing that anyway.

Rather than sueing them, you would have a better chance looking into reporting the advert, if it bothers you - and if there is a framework for that where you are - but you probably won't get very far.

kingrobdun
June 13th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Weird Al made a song that fits this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeXQBHLIPcw

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 13th, 2010, 07:55 PM

^ I like.:lolflag:

TheNerdAL
June 13th, 2010, 09:28 PM

That fits perfectly! :lolflag:

Timmer1240
June 14th, 2010, 04:14 AM
THATS IT IM CALLING THE DREAM TEAM WE ARE GONNA TAKE APPLE DOWN FALSE ADVERTISING THEY NEED TO BE SHUT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!If we can eliminate them then Microsoft is next!Linux world domination within a few years is possible!

Timmer1240
June 14th, 2010, 04:14 AM
thats it im calling the dream team we are gonna take apple down false advertising they need to be shut down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!if we can eliminate them then microsoft is next!linux world domination within a few years is possible!

lol!!!

Legendary_Bibo
June 14th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Hasn't someone jailbroken the iPad/Touch/Phone and ported flash onto it yet?

TheNerdAL
June 14th, 2010, 05:25 AM

Yes.

Frak
June 14th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Sure, why not.

ssj6akshat
June 14th, 2010, 09:22 AM
THATS IT IM CALLING THE DREAM TEAM WE ARE GONNA TAKE APPLE DOWN FALSE ADVERTISING THEY NEED TO BE SHUT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!If we can eliminate them then Microsoft is next!Linux world domination within a few years is possible!lol!!!

You lol on your own statement? :lolflag: