PDA

View Full Version : What do *you* use emacs for?

Dustin2128
June 11th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I started using emacs about a month ago and I've concluded that it's a truly amazing text editor. But there are a lot of things it can do besides editing, I haven't gotten into it much yet but already I check email and RSS feeds with it, in addition to doing all coursework for my web-design class, so I thought of a question: Besides text editing, what do you do with emacs?

juancarlospaco
June 11th, 2010, 10:30 PM
ed
a
I use ed !
q

lostinxlation
June 11th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Running hanoi.
And back in old days, I used it as a Newsgroup reader and email client.

Phrea
June 11th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Not a damn thing.

Dustin2128
June 11th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Not a damn thing.
I already knew that, it's in your geek code signature

!E would be a person that just plain refuses to have anything to do with Emacs

Tibuda
June 12th, 2010, 12:36 AM
I use it to run Vim.

RiceMonster
June 12th, 2010, 12:39 AM
To play tetris

JDShu
June 12th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Coding, though that's technically text editing. Oh, and compiling. I sometimes use it for IRC.

spupy
June 12th, 2010, 12:06 PM
This is something I don't understand, but I'm a vim user and only tried emacs a few times. Can you explain why you use emacs for so much stuff? Is for example the emacs feed reader and mail module (or whatever it is called) better then other rss/mail programs?

jpkotta
June 12th, 2010, 10:43 PM
I just edit text in Emacs. I do run term-mode (with multi-term) quite a bit -- it's almost as good as a real terminal.

This is something I don't understand, but I'm a vim user and only tried emacs a few times. Can you explain why you use emacs for so much stuff? Is for example the emacs feed reader and mail module (or whatever it is called) better then other rss/mail programs?

The main reason is that you can just stay in one environment. It's easier to navigate then, and all of your settings and extensions apply to all of the packages you use.

Simian Man
June 12th, 2010, 10:52 PM
To play tetris

Me too. I also have played that text adventure game it comes with. For anything serious I use vim though.

Dustin2128
June 13th, 2010, 01:13 AM
The main reason is that you can just stay in one environment. It's easier to navigate then, and all of your settings and extensions apply to all of the packages you use.
Exactly.

matthew.ball
June 13th, 2010, 02:23 AM
I just basically write LaTeX documents with Emacs. I have used it a bit for C coding too. In both cases it is amazing, I'm a huge fan.

handy
June 13th, 2010, 03:03 AM
We have a couple of iMacs at home. I run Arch on mine, my wife runs her business on hers. They came along later than the eMacs. ;)

Back in the Amiga days, I fiddled around with MicroEMACS, it wasn't really suited to my needs, I ended up using CygnusEd which was a brilliant & powerful editor, I wish someone ported that to the distros.

sudoer541
June 14th, 2010, 05:44 PM
:p Instead of using the official iMacs by Apple, I use eMacs made By Microsoft!!!):P