PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot camp on 2010 Macbook?

ASchlosser
June 11th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Hey all!

After doing some research, I found this article that helped answer some of my questions, but not all of them. Also it was for an older version of both OS X and Ubuntu. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=678542)

So after browsing the forums, I haven't been able to find what I was looking for. This led me to making a new post and sorry if this is a double post -- I couldn't find another one.

Anyways, what I was wondering is if I use bootcamp to create a partition for "Windows" that I would then delete after booting to the Ubuntu Lucid disc, and then run the installer to EXT4. Would this allow me to still use the same method of holding down the alt key to boot into Ubuntu? I'd prefer not to use rEFIt as I have had bad experiences with it in the past.

I don't really care about losing iSight and such, I just prefer Ubuntu as a programming environment to OS X.

Any insight?

Mitchell314
June 11th, 2010, 08:46 PM
I'm not an expert on either Mac or Ubuntu, but I think you can. I did it that way and it worked, I just don't remember if I had had Ubuntu delete the windows partition or bootcamp delete it.

ETA: I think Ubuntu boots by default on a Mac, you'll need to hold alt-option for the menu to choose.

ASchlosser
June 12th, 2010, 02:02 AM
Awesome, thank you! I'll give it a go here before too long provided the IT department at work approves it ;-)