PDA

View Full Version : USA Vs. England tomorrow. Woohoo! Go USA!

Louisraritan
June 11th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Go USA :)

squilookle
June 11th, 2010, 07:17 PM
If England wins, I'll have to come back to this thread to rub it in. :P

Go England :)

juancarlospaco
June 11th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Go (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(programming_language))

John Bean
June 11th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Yawn.

WinterRain
June 11th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I'm not a soccer fan, but I might watch a few minutes of it and watch the US get their butts kicked.

Yes
June 11th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Lol did anyone see John Oliver's segment about this on the Daily Show? I thought it was quite funny...

Ozor Mox
June 11th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Come on England!

:popcorn:

Louisraritan
June 11th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Had a feeling I could get you Brits riled up. We will see tomorrow.

Phrea
June 11th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I hate football, but I'm going to spoil the fun for you guys now:

Final score: UK-VS: 4-1

If I get this right, I will be moderator for one day, so you all better hope I've got it wrong !

limestone
June 11th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Why is it called soccer and why is football not "foot"ball??
Should not soccer be called football like it supposed to be?
I mean American football aren't played with your feet's, correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, Let best man win.

Phrea
June 11th, 2010, 08:39 PM

s/man/men ;)

beercz
June 11th, 2010, 08:39 PM
go england!!

limestone
June 11th, 2010, 08:42 PM
s/man/men ;)

Yea yea, we aren't in school now ^^

Phrea
June 11th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Yea yea, we aren't in school now ^^

If we were on the field right now, I'd win. :D

underquark
June 11th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Had a feeling I could get you Brits riled up. We will see tomorrow.Au contraire. Go USA. You can still buy "ABE" supporter T-shirts here (that's "Anyone but England"). Now that ought to stir the "Brits" up. 8) I remember supporting Cameroon in the 1990 World Cup whilst visiting (the former) Yugoslavia, much to the amusement of the locals. We were in Yugoslavia, BTW, because Italy was already fully booked.

lovinglinux
June 11th, 2010, 08:54 PM
You might want to join us at 2010 FIFA World Cup Thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1495330)

Странник
June 11th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I am on England's side

spoons
June 11th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Expecting the England supporters to go around being yobs and beating people up as per usual.

MindSz
June 11th, 2010, 09:40 PM
It's gonna be a good match. I'm pissed I'm gonna miss it because apparently for some people (mainly girls) fútbol is not as important as family so I have to go somewhere else.

I mean, the World Cup is only once every 4 years, while family's ALWAYS there...

Swagman
June 11th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Why is it called soccer and why is football not "foot"ball??
Should not soccer be called football like it supposed to be?
I mean American football aren't played with your feet's, correct me if I'm wrong.

aaaah this old chestnut.

It's proper name is soccer because it is actually a morph/Evolution of Association football

Which over time evolved to Soccer

Here in Uk it simply became known as Football or Rugger

there is a wiki on it.

Most Americans who know about Rugger (Rugby) think it's players are nutz... They don't wear pads and they practically mean WAR!!

The Haka (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cle20lQg0Qs)

Play us if you dare !!

madjr
June 11th, 2010, 09:52 PM
har har usa, krrazy amerrikans

beercz
June 11th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Expecting the England supporters to go around being yobs and beating people up as per usual.
Hey! That's not fair - we are not all like that you know!

Anyway - hope it's a good game! Whoever wins, I hope they win it fairly and not by some poor referring decision or by cheating.

speedwell68
June 11th, 2010, 11:29 PM
The English will walk this one. The England team is made of players from the most competitive league in the World and the USA isn't.

wipeout140
June 11th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Come on England! :p

mick222
June 11th, 2010, 11:39 PM
football is football everywhere but the USA where strangly they throw the ball?

beercz
June 11th, 2010, 11:40 PM
football is football everywhere but the USA where strangly they throw the ball?
"We play football with our feet ..."

corney91
June 11th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Football bores me, but I'll still support England in this :)

Most Americans who know about Rugger (Rugby) think it's players are nutz... They don't wear pads and they practically mean WAR!!

The Haka (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cle20lQg0Qs)

Play us if you dare !!Yeah, a real sport! :D

Hey! That's not fair - we are not all like that you know!

We are, we really are - fear us, America! :twisted:

beercz
June 11th, 2010, 11:52 PM
We are, we really are - fear us, America! :twisted:
lol!

mamamia88
June 12th, 2010, 12:04 AM
you guys are really cocky aren't you? one of the great things about the sport is that in low scoring games like soccer upsets are more likely to happen. all it takes is one great play by the united states and some great defense and we might pull it off. it's not going to be as easy as you guys think

ZarathustraDK
June 12th, 2010, 12:06 AM
The match is cancelled, the judges couldn't figure out who'd get the ball first at the start of the match.

http://www.sadanduseless.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/562.jpg

Brunellus
June 12th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Personally, I'm hoping for a repeat of the 1950 result in Belo Horizonte: USA 3- 0 England.

I doubt that's going to happen, but I can hope.

chris200x9
June 12th, 2010, 04:24 AM
will it be a repeat? Yes. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England_v_United_States_%281950%29) ):P

Groucho Marxist
June 12th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Score! Britannia!

Increase your football fame!

Yanks shall lose to Britain's game!

areteichi
June 12th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Clearly USA isn't one of the main contenders in the competition, but England is usually way overrated as well. I mean I don't think they ever reached semifinals in the world cup since I started following football, and they've only won the cup once (and that was over 40 years ago). I know this year's English team is probably the best in the recent years, but I still would not be so confident with them.

BslBryan
June 12th, 2010, 07:48 AM
I know this year's English team is probably the best in the recent years, but I still would not be so confident with them.
I would. :popcorn:

BigSilly
June 12th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I'm not.

I reckon the USA could do us over today. We are, as someone has already pointed out, hugely overrated. Could be a great game though.

szymon_g
June 12th, 2010, 10:32 AM
for God's sake- isn't it enough of that football sh*te already? what so interesting in a group of man running with ball :O?

philinux
June 12th, 2010, 10:55 AM
The Daily Mail well, not the best newspaper in the UK. But they sometimes make me chuckle.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1285985/Now-THATs-footie-strip-How-World-Cup-stars-REALLY-measure-bluffers-guide-talent.html

smellyman
June 12th, 2010, 11:21 AM
If you haven't seen it here is John Oliver's report (http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-june-10-2010/world-cup-2010--into-africa---two-teams--one-cup) on the Daily Show. It's pretty dang funny.

lovinglinux
June 12th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I will bet on US.

underquark
June 12th, 2010, 01:40 PM
attach images that big please

Phrea
June 12th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I found this somewhere and thought it was quite funny. :lolflag:

bigseb
June 12th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I remember watching USA in the Confederations Cup and was quite surprised at the quality of their game play. Personally I hope they make it to the semis.... they'll be easy for Germany to trash

mwuahahahahaha

Laxman_prodigy
June 12th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Luck favouring USA. Really bad for Green.:(

Louisraritan
June 12th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Underquark, you got it. 1-1, good game Brits.

BigSeb, Germany better get through Australia first.

beercz
June 12th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Well 1-1, luck draw for the US I suppose with Green being on their side ;-)

I suppose it was a fair result, both teams played OK.

On to the next game!

Come on England!

beercz
June 12th, 2010, 10:49 PM
for God's sake- isn't it enough of that football sh*te already? what so interesting in a group of man running with ball :O?
If you don't like it, fine!

But millions of people around the world enjoy it, it is the world's most popular sport.

Also, sadly for some, it's a release from poverty, even if it is temporary.

And, at least in England, as well as other parts of the world, it brings people together.

Look at the joyous scenes in South Africa, people from all round the world have come together in celebration. Can that be a bad thing?

Finally, come on England!

fatality_uk
June 13th, 2010, 01:04 AM
USA all the way man!!

kellemes
June 13th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Feel for Green, despite his mistake played a good game all in all.
England deserved to win, they played a better match.
Anyway, neither USA or England will make it to the final, they're not good enough.

My favorites are.. (in this order)
Spain
Argentina
Brasil
Holland
Germany (never to be underestimated)

France is a big disappointed, I like them to go home as soon as possible.
Looking at the outsiders I'd love to see Australia play well and have a great result.

bigseb
June 13th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Underquark, you got it. 1-1, good game Brits.

BigSeb, Germany better get through Australia first.

easy peasy

kellemes
June 13th, 2010, 08:20 AM
easy peasy

Germany should never be underestimated but I hope they go home quickly, there team sucks big time and they generally play unattractive football..

Supporting Australia big time!

bigseb
June 13th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Germany should never be underestimated but I hope they go home quickly, there team sucks big time and they generally play unattractive football..
You are no longer my favourite :'(

Linuxforall
June 13th, 2010, 11:34 AM

Supporting Australia big time!

Germany in past have been underdogs and with their fantastic resilience and skill have reached semi finals as well as finals and even won the cup. Deutschland Uber Alles, hope they beat UK and Brazil even if they don't win the cup, that would be my vindication. They play foot ball like the way it ought to be unlike hyped UK and samba boyz from south American who can do nothing but dance and wiggle their ugly behinds. Australia LOL! not even in league with Germany, totally out of league here.

Btw, UK tied with lower rated US, go Star Spangled Banner, teach em how to play football.

howefield
June 13th, 2010, 11:36 AM
hope they beat UK and Brazil even if they don't win the cup,

It's ok, the UK aren't playing so you can stop hoping.

lovinglinux
June 13th, 2010, 11:49 AM
They play foot ball like the way it ought to be unlike hyped UK and samba boyz from south American who can do nothing but dance and wiggle their ugly behinds.

Hahaha, that made me laugh. Last time I checked Germany was two World Cups behind the Brazilians samba boys and 5 positions below in the FIFA ranking :)

BigSilly
June 13th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Germany in past have been underdogs and with their fantastic resilience and skill have reached semi finals as well as finals and even won the cup. Deutschland Uber Alles, hope they beat UK and Brazil even if they don't win the cup, that would be my vindication. They play foot ball like the way it ought to be unlike hyped UK and samba boyz from south American who can do nothing but dance and wiggle their ugly behinds. Australia LOL! not even in league with Germany, totally out of league here.

Btw, UK tied with lower rated US, go Star Spangled Banner, teach em how to play football.

Good grief...

mick222
June 13th, 2010, 12:30 PM

There is NO UK football team there are four national teams Scotland Northern Ireland Wales and England.

bigseb
June 13th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Hahaha, that made me laugh. Last time I checked Germany was two World Cups behind the Brazilians samba boys and 5 positions below in the FIFA ranking :)
They have played more semifinals than any other team.

kellemes
June 13th, 2010, 02:19 PM
They have played more semifinals than any other team.

I guess they lost more semifinals than any other team too? ;-)

I just hope the best team wins, if it happens to be the Germans that's fine for me..
I'll enjoy the tournament for sure, every part of Holland is orange at the moment and on Monday (Holland's first match) it'll be a madhouse for sure.
Can't wait.

http://www.dingesenzo.nl/Dinges_Enzo_afbeeldingen/Oranje_606/Dinges_Enzo_Oranje_02.jpg

bigseb
June 13th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Mwuahahahahaha

Louisraritan
June 15th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Yeah bro, 4-0 is pretty not good. What happened to OZ? Man I love those guys. Brazil vs. NK today!

lovinglinux
June 18th, 2010, 01:39 PM

Unfortunately for you, looks like they won't get much far.

:lolflag:

grahammechanical
June 18th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Apparently soccer is an abbreviation for Association Football. I just checked it in my dictionary. We English certainly do strange things with our language. Perhaps corruption of "association" would be a better description.

Rey117
June 18th, 2010, 03:14 PM
hahahaha 1-0 babies....hahaha

beercz
June 18th, 2010, 03:43 PM
2-0 now to Slovenia

beercz
June 18th, 2010, 06:14 PM
2-2 draw - as an England fan I am pleased with that!

Come on England!!!

Rey117
June 18th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I would have love a loss but GOOOOOO ENGLAND!!!!!