PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Lost my num pad function on my keyboard!

nadude
June 11th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Hi. I'm completely new to ubuntu, and have it on a new laptop. My num pad was working a couple days ago, but no when i try it, it only functions as a direction keypad, regardless of the num lock button.

I tried installing tilda a couple days ago, but removed it too...

I need my numpad back! Even a usb keyboard doesn't use the num pad!!!

Can anyone help? I compared it to a friends keyboard preferences and it was exactly the same, his numpad was working though...

Hope you can help!

pricetech
June 11th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I know this is a "duh" but numlock is on isn't it ??? Also, check your BIOS. Some laptops have a setting turns the numeric keypad off altogether.

jdorenbush
June 12th, 2010, 04:49 AM
If you've already hit the Numlock key on your keyboard and it hasn't done anything try hitting Shift+Numlock.

You might have to hit Numlock (by itself) after hitting Shift+Numlock.

nadude
June 12th, 2010, 08:07 AM
If you've already hit the Numlock key on your keyboard and it hasn't done anything try hitting Shift+Numlock.

You might have to hit Numlock (by itself) after hitting Shift+Numlock.

Woohhoooo!!!! thanks buddy, you're a life saver! Shift numpad worked!!! Why did it do that?

jdorenbush
June 12th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Woohhoooo!!!! thanks buddy, you're a life saver! Shift numpad worked!!! Why did it do that?

You may have accidentally turned it on, and hitting it again was just turning it off.

Good to hear you got it fixed though, cheers!

d.vanheeckeren
July 29th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Just out of curiosity, what's the purpose of having the Shift-numlock? I've been using ubuntu for quite a while now (and LOVE it!!) and just curious as to what that function is there for, never seen or heard of that in windows.

uRock
July 29th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Just out of curiosity, what's the purpose of having the Shift-numlock? I've been using ubuntu for quite a while now (and LOVE it!!) and just curious as to what that function is there for, never seen or heard of that in windows.

It does the same in MS. You can us it to move the pointer if you don't have a mouse connected.