PDA

View Full Version : Looking for samrtphone with these specs

oobuntoo
June 11th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I was going to get HTC EVO 4G, but the more I read about it the more disappointed it gets. So I'm now looking for something with the following specs:

- Super AMOLED screen(800x480 or better, 4in or bigger, 16M colors)
- HDMI, USB, 3.5mm jack.
- 1GB RAM, 1GB ROM, microSD
- 1GHz(or faster) CPU
- 8MP(or bigger) camera with Xenon flash, 1080p video recording
- Front-facing camera
- WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, 3G/4G WiMAX
- Android OS

Is there anything like this out there now?

dmizer
June 11th, 2010, 01:24 PM
With that list, I suspect you'll have to make a few sacrifices, as there's nothing on the market right now that meets every single one: http://www.androphones.com/2010-android-phones.php

Edit:
Don't expect much from an 8+ MP camera. My SE Xperia X10 has an 8.1MP camera which takes exceptionally bad quality pictures. My old (non android based) Panasonic P905i had a 5MP camera and the pictures it took were extremely sharp and very high quality. It's not all about pixel count with digital cameras.

oobuntoo
June 12th, 2010, 08:35 AM
With that list, I suspect you'll have to make a few sacrifices, as there's nothing on the market right now that meets every single one: http://www.androphones.com/2010-android-phones.php

Edit:
Don't expect much from an 8+ MP camera. My SE Xperia X10 has an 8.1MP camera which takes exceptionally bad quality pictures. My old (non android based) Panasonic P905i had a 5MP camera and the pictures it took were extremely sharp and very high quality. It's not all about pixel count with digital cameras.

Yeah, the specs I listed are probably going to cost too much to put all on one phone currently. But I can dream. I hope someone will eventually come out with one before to long.
1080p video recording is not that big of a deal to me right now, but good quality still photo is. I think xenon flash and a good quality lens can definitely help in this department. The upcoming Nokia N8, with Xenon flash and Carl Zeiss lens, camera quality looks impressive. It's too bad this is not an Android phone

NCLI
June 12th, 2010, 12:28 PM
What's disappointing about the EVO? I've read nothing but positive reviews :confused:

oobuntoo
June 13th, 2010, 07:31 PM
What's disappointing about the EVO? I've read nothing but positive reviews :confused:

EVO 4G 2D and 3D performance are capped at 30fps. link (http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=8942)

Screen is limited to 64K colors. link (http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-evo-4g/84466-can-htc-evo-4gs-65k-color-limit-possibly-upgraded-16m-colors-through-root.html)

Battery life is horrible. link (http://www.switched.com/2010/06/04/sprints-htc-evo-4g-available-now-battery-life-still-an-issue/)

There are reports of wifi issue. link (http://community.htc.com/na/htc-forums/android/f/94/t/2929.aspx)

gnomeuser
June 13th, 2010, 10:05 PM

It holds the new honor as the only smartphone to have worse battery life than the, notoriously bad, N900.

Then again that is largely to be expected given all the goodies they stuffed into it.

MichaelRX8
June 14th, 2010, 03:02 AM
You know you can't believe everything you read right? I've had my EVO since launch day, my battery life though not stellar is far from bad (much better then my Palm Pre),about 12 - 13 hours. The wifi hasn't been a problem in my small house, The fps problem is being worked on and to be quite honest I haven't been able to notice it yet. The build quality of this phone is awesome and there are already some pretty good custom roms.
All in all no regrets here, in fact far from it, I love this device.

oobuntoo
June 14th, 2010, 04:30 AM
You know you can't believe everything you read right? I've had my EVO since launch day, my battery life though not stellar is far from bad (much better then my Palm Pre),about 12 - 13 hours. The wifi hasn't been a problem in my small house, The fps problem is being worked on and to be quite honest I haven't been able to notice it yet. The build quality of this phone is awesome and there are already some pretty good custom roms.

I have nothing against the EVO. In fact, I almost pre-ordered it. However, all these complaints and reports of problems on HTC forum made me feel uneasy about getting one. I'm sure not everyone is affected by these issues, but I have a feeling that a better phone will come out in the second half of this year and I'm willing to wait for one that meet most of the specs I listed in the first post.

madjr
June 14th, 2010, 04:51 AM
what about droid xtreme / X ?

madjr
June 14th, 2010, 05:22 AM

also just in case you cant charge yours for a long time (over 13 hours i guess) you can always carry a second battery, which is what i like about these phones and not ones that have it built in *cough*.

usually the 4g is what eats up so much battery, it's new technology so, is usually better to go in 3g mode instead if out for a while

am also pretty sure that with Android 2.2 performance increase also help the processor not work so hard and the battery life a good bit.

oobuntoo
June 14th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Looks like the EVO is having more issues as days go by:

"glass separation" problem (link (http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/13/htc-evo-suffering-from-glass-separation-issues/)) and "unresponsive screen" (link (http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/14/htc-evo-4g-and-droid-incredible-suffering-from-unresponsive-scre/)). I'm glad I decided to wait.

madjr
June 14th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Looks like the EVO is having more issues as days go by:

"glass separation" problem (link (http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/13/htc-evo-suffering-from-glass-separation-issues/)) and "unresponsive screen" (link (http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/14/htc-evo-4g-and-droid-incredible-suffering-from-unresponsive-scre/)). I'm glad I decided to wait.

well i worked for t-mobile, sprint and ATT and all the bad press you see in big sites like engadget is clearly because the evo4G is the biggest competitor to the iphone4, so bad publicity it is.

all phones may develop problems, I've seen huge share of bad iphones too (almost on daily basis!! so i got used to it and we had special procedures because of all the frequent calls).

sometimes you get unlucky , but doesn't mean ALL the phones are bad

just take it in back with your warranty in case yours is defective for exchange.

I'm glad I decided to wait.

that's exactly the marketing tactic, because the i4 is coming out so soon and want people to hold off on other phones. If the evo had been launched at another time (farther away from i4 launch), those posts would had not appeared on sites like engadget.

next year it will be the current best competitor's phone turn to try to trash

is also pretty sad how they search all the web for people who have posted videos about defective devices.

they're doing the same as what linuxhaterblog and some anti-linux sites do, always looking for points of comparison, bad hardware, etc. and try trash linux on every opportunity, most of the time making stuff look worse than it actually is.

beastrace91
June 14th, 2010, 10:48 PM
the, notoriously bad, N900.

N900 battery really isn't all that bad. In fact it is about the same as my brother's iPhone 3GS or my friend's Nexus One...

As for the specs you are asking for, well the screen size and the camera are pretty much only on the Evo at this current point in time.

~Jeff

oobuntoo
June 15th, 2010, 04:42 AM
well i worked for t-mobile, sprint and ATT and all the bad press you see in big sites like engadget is clearly because the evo4G is the biggest competitor to the iphone4, so bad publicity it is.

all phones may develop problems, I've seen huge share of bad iphones too (almost on daily basis!! so i got used to it and we had special procedures because of all the frequent calls).

sometimes you get unlucky , but doesn't mean ALL the phones are bad

just take it in back with your warranty in case yours is defective for exchange.

that's exactly the marketing tactic, because the i4 is coming out so soon and want people to hold off on other phones. If the evo had been launched at another time (farther away from i4 launch), those posts would had not appeared on sites like engadget.

next year it will be the current best competitor's phone turn to try to trash

is also pretty sad how they search all the web for people who have posted videos about defective devices.

they're doing the same as what linuxhaterblog and some anti-linux sites do, always looking for points of comparison, bad hardware, etc. and try trash linux on every opportunity, most of the time making stuff look worse than it actually is.

If you think this is marketing ploy by Apple with help from tech blogs like Engadget and Gizmodo, and somehow I'm affected by it, then you're way off. First, I hate Apple with passion. Second, these issues are reported by ACTUAL users on HTC forum. EVO may have the best specs for smartphone currently on the market, but I just don't trust HTC quality.

madjr
June 15th, 2010, 05:58 AM
If you think this is marketing ploy by Apple with help from tech blogs like Engadget and Gizmodo, and somehow I'm affected by it, then you're way off. First, I hate Apple with passion. Second, these issues are reported by ACTUAL users on HTC forum. EVO may have the best specs for smartphone currently on the market, but I just don't trust HTC quality.

HTC is not one of the top players because of bad quality. their phones are not cheap either.

the small % of owners not satisfied or phones gone bad always make the loudest noise on the net, specially when competition heats up.

anyone can be an HTC user, even ones on payroll from competing companies, very old tactic. Anyone can get a hold of used/refurbished/defective phones

just take what you see at big tech blogs with a grain of salt. You need to experience them for yourself, if possible, and draw in your own conclusions. Am sure lots of people are trash talking stuff you have at your home: you computer maker, your car, your dvd-player, etc. but clearly they are working for you fine right now. Could it go bad in 6 months? YEP... Is that brand bad then? nop, you did tons of research and still your computer, car, dvd, w/e went bad.

So you see, the only thing that will let you sleep at night is knowing you have warranty or that they will let you exchange it for another brand if xx units are defective.

The warranty or insurance (if available) your carrier provides is much more important than the phone you end up getting. focus on that and you'll finally get some sleep :)

And remember that in 2012 the world may end, start working on getting that bunker or spaceship ready and stop worrying so much on some gadgets