PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Who's Excited?

mamamia88
June 11th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Man I can't wait. USA vs England on Saturday is going to be legendary.

swoll1980
June 11th, 2010, 12:40 AM
The US blows at football, so It's not really important to me. Anyways I'm still recovering from my Cav's early departure from the NBA playoffs.

Jahocolips
June 11th, 2010, 12:43 AM
All of MY roommates changed their FB profile pictures to US soccer palyers...

Breambutt
June 11th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Don't say "soccer" with British people around. I heard it's "football".

swoll1980
June 11th, 2010, 12:58 AM
I don't get why American Football was named as such. The only time the ball touches someones foot is when they are not good enough to put it in the end-zone. It would be like calling Bowling "GutterBall"

JDShu
June 11th, 2010, 01:04 AM
I don't get why American Football was named as such. The only time the ball touches someones foot is when they are not good enough to put it in the end-zone. It would be like calling Bowling "GutterBall"

It evolved from Rugby Football, which was named such because it itself evolved from football. Ask and wiki will answer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football#History

samjh
June 11th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Don't say "soccer" with British people around. I heard it's "football".

Its proper name is "association football", as distinct from "rugby football". The name "soccer" came from Britain, so if the Brits don't like it, they can shove it! :p

As for me, I'm definitely excited that the soccer world cup is on again. Hopefully Australia can make it even further than we did in 2006. :)

Breambutt
June 11th, 2010, 01:33 AM
I don't really care what people call it, just want to stir the brew and chuckle at chavs who go ape-poo over it.

Watching sports is stupid anyway. :( Doing sports yourself is good though.

By the way, how do I turn off the stupid smilies off by default? Couldn't spot anything in the CP.

lovinglinux
June 11th, 2010, 01:38 AM
2010 FIFA World Cup Thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1495330)

samjh
June 11th, 2010, 01:42 AM
I don't really care what people call it, just want to stir the brew and chuckle at chavs who go ape-poo over it.

Watching sports is stupid anyway. :( Doing sports yourself is good though.Why not watch and play? ;)

Breambutt
June 11th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Why not watch and play? ;)
Because watching it is a slobbering waste of time whereas doing it yourself is beneficial and far more interesting! What's even worse though is people who watch other people play video games.

JDShu
June 11th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Because watching it is a slobbering waste of time whereas doing it yourself is beneficial and far more interesting! What's even worse though is people who watch other people play video games.

You ever watched the Korean Starcraft proleagues? Those are pretty amazing to watch.