PDA

View Full Version : Good MP3 Player

Jason Cook
June 11th, 2010, 12:13 AM
I am planning on buying a new MP3 player as my current one (Creative Zen V Plus) is starting to die. I would need one that has a capacity of 30 GB or more. I should also be able to play many different audio (and maybe video) formats. Does anyone know of one that meets that criteria and works well in Ubuntu?

jamathis
June 11th, 2010, 12:54 AM
I personally like the Sansa Fuze. It plays ogg vorbis and FLAC right out of the box and you can expand the storage capacity with Micro SD cards. iPods are ok as far as capacity. On my 4th generation 40GB iPod, I have installed Rockbox which is an open source firmware replacement. It adds tons of functionality including ogg and FLAC support.

ubunterooster
June 11th, 2010, 01:59 AM
I have had 7 sansas, pretty good (two bricked, lost one, one is out dated, gave one away, 2 still being used by sis and dad) but when I got the d2+ with ogg and Flac support, full-sized SD slot (not microSD)
and 100hr battery life, I never look at any others

http://www.amazon.com/Cowon-D2-MP3-Player-Black/dp/B001UHOBW0

Chronon
June 11th, 2010, 05:04 AM
I personally like the Sansa Fuze. It plays ogg vorbis and FLAC right out of the box and you can expand the storage capacity with Micro SD cards.

To be fair, the Fuze supports both of those codecs out of the box. Rockbox adds support for many other codecs like Shorten, Wavpack, Monkey's Audio, AC3, Musepack, etc. There are plenty of reasons to choose Rockbox over the stock firmware but support for Ogg Vorbis and Flac are not among them.

ubunterooster
June 11th, 2010, 05:12 AM
OP wants 30gb+ player. The largest microSD cards are 16gb. My cowon has 16gb internal, and 32gb SD card

rotwang888
June 11th, 2010, 06:18 AM
The Cowon S9 is available in 32Gb, plays ogg, flac, etc.

pwnst*r
June 11th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Another one of these....

Cowon.

madnessjack
June 11th, 2010, 09:35 AM
OP wants 30gb+ player. The largest microSD cards are 16gb. My cowon has 16gb internal, and 32gb SD card
http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/14279098/SanDisk-32GB-Micro-SD-Memory-Card/Product.html

Pricey though...

3rdalbum
June 11th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Sony Walkman X series. There's a 32 GiB version. Might be a bit pricy, but it's got features that the Sansas and Cowans can only dream about (OLED screen, noise-cancelling headphones, awesome interface for video searching, wifi podcatcher and Youtube client, ClearBass bass boost).

They also work well on Linux.

Only thing is that it only supports 3 different video formats, only two of which are creatable on Linux (MPEG-4 and H.264; the former is supported using my Blacklight program). It supports MP3, WMV and AAC as well for audio.

Merovius
June 11th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Another vote for Sansa here. I've had an e200 series and a Fuze and both were great.

Pekkalainen
June 11th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Sansa Clip+ together with a 32 gig microSD for a total of 40 gigs will cost you about 150€ and has excellent Ubuntu support and plays ogg and flac.

Tristam Green
June 11th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Another one of these....

Cowon.

It's summertime; people are spending their grad money!

See my sig, OP.