PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on a phone

xc1024
June 10th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Hi everyone. I've got a phone from 2003 and I want to buy a new one in the future (more of later than sooner though). I want the phone to have the following features:
-Run Android or some other Linux (power is the key and Linux=power)
-have hardware keyboard (nothing p*sses me off more than a touch-kb)
-be rootable/jailbreakable/else (I want to have some control over my own phone)
-be affordable (that means not more than 120 GBP used / 150 GBP new)
-obviously the usual phone stuff (3G, SMS, voice calls)
-expandable memory (MicroSD, SD, CF, floppies, imaginary holodiscs or pixie dust)

Nice-to-have but not essential:
-be hardware-hackable (as in "I open the case up, solder something into the motherboard and it doesn't explode producing a mushroom cloud)
-decent camera
-root by default
-decent amount of on-board memory

The phone I have my eyes on is HTC Dream (G1) for now. It seems to have all the stuff I like, but it also has some possible annoyances.

I'm open for comments and suggestions, please contribute!

tgalati4
June 10th, 2010, 10:46 PM
What city and what preferred networks?

11hjpphty76lkjj
June 10th, 2010, 11:01 PM
I have a droid. and I love it.

A

HeirPixel
June 10th, 2010, 11:02 PM
What about the N900? It meets most of what you've asked:

-Run Android or some other Linux (power is the key and Linux=power) Debian-based
-have hardware keyboard (nothing p*sses me off more than a touch-kb) Yep
-be rootable/jailbreakable/else (I want to have some control over my own phone) Yep
-be affordable (that means not more than 120 GBP used / 150 GBP new) Available on good contract deals from Carphone Warehouse
-obviously the usual phone stuff (3G, SMS, voice calls) All quite dandy in London
-expandable memory (MicroSD, SD, CF, floppies, imaginary holodiscs or pixie dust) 32GB built-in plus MicroSD

-be hardware-hackable (as in "I open the case up, solder something into the motherboard and it doesn't explode producing a mushroom cloud) No idea...
-decent camera Enough for me
-root by default Very easily attainable
-decent amount of on-board memory See above

xc1024
June 10th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Pay mothly is out of question, I'm a student. I cannot afford that much luxury. Actually I' say that the money is the most important requirement.
For the network I think I may go for 3.

tgalati4
June 11th, 2010, 02:55 AM
n900 would be a good choice, but it is pricey and support from Nokia is disappointing.

If you use google services at all, then consider Nexus One.

xc1024
June 12th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I would, but physical keyboard is really important for me.

beastrace91
June 12th, 2010, 06:00 PM
What about the N900? It meets most of what you've asked:

-Run Android or some other Linux (power is the key and Linux=power) Debian-based
-have hardware keyboard (nothing p*sses me off more than a touch-kb) Yep
-be rootable/jailbreakable/else (I want to have some control over my own phone) Yep
-be affordable (that means not more than 120 GBP used / 150 GBP new) Available on good contract deals from Carphone Warehouse
-obviously the usual phone stuff (3G, SMS, voice calls) All quite dandy in London
-expandable memory (MicroSD, SD, CF, floppies, imaginary holodiscs or pixie dust) 32GB built-in plus MicroSD

-be hardware-hackable (as in "I open the case up, solder something into the motherboard and it doesn't explode producing a mushroom cloud) No idea...
-decent camera Enough for me
-root by default Very easily attainable
-decent amount of on-board memory See above

+1 for the N900. I have had mine for some time now and there is nothing else out there as of yet that compares to it truly. I have written a few things (http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/search/label/n900) about the device if you are looking for some good reading.

~Jeff

DeadSuperHero
June 12th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I really wanted the Nexus One, but sadly it's not supported on Verizon...

xc1024
June 14th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Anyone has suggestions?

madjr
June 14th, 2010, 11:51 PM
for keyboard motorola is your best bet

this one looks affodable
http://android-devices.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/motorola-flipout-2.jpg

http://android-devices.net/hardware/motorola-flipout/

this site might be good for you if you're in the UK

http://androidphone.org.uk/