PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] System backup

Werm
June 10th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Hello,

My current setup is dual boot win7 and ubuntu. I want to back up ubuntu complete, every last file. A full backup.

The primary drive is starting to fail and needs to be replaced, I don't want windows on my new drive it's just a waste of space and I never use it anymore.

Do you guys know of anything I should know before doing this? Like does the backup also backup the boot files/etc.

The commands I'll be using for the backup:

cd /

tar cvpzf backup.tgz --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tgz --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys /

anglican
June 11th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Hello,

My current setup is dual boot win7 and ubuntu. I want to back up ubuntu complete, every last file. A full backup.

The primary drive is starting to fail and needs to be replaced, I don't want windows on my new drive it's just a waste of space and I never use it anymore.

Do you guys know of anything I should know before doing this? Like does the backup also backup the boot files/etc.

The commands I'll be using for the backup:

cd /

tar cvpzf backup.tgz --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tgz --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys /
Since you don't want Windows, why not use mondorescue to create your backup. That will give you a set of CD/DVD's from which you can restore onto a new disk. Mondo is in the repo. It can also backup to various other media and the network.

H