PDA

View Full Version : Wifi Router with Bridging

gletob
June 10th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I'm looking for a cheap B/G Wifi router with Bridging

Example

Internet-----Wireless Modem/Gateway~~~~~~~~~~Wifi Router with Bridging--------2 Computers, 1 network printer

------ Wired
~~~~~~ Wireless

whiskeylover
June 10th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Does this mean that the "Wifi Router with Bridging" simply acts like a switch? Or does it create an entire new LAN behind it?

handy
June 10th, 2010, 08:40 PM
If you have or can get hold of (they are worth nothing now) an old PII or PIII, you could stick IPCop on it & a wireless NIC.

I run a PIII 7**Mhz, 256MB RAM headless box with IPCop. I tested it, it uses about $1-/week in electricity. Because it is built on Linux, instead of being a windows centric router, my internet packets are handled more efficiently so using the web & such is faster.

Recently I replaced the HDD in my IPCop box, during that time I used another modem/router (not in bridge mode) & I was really quite surprised at the speed difference. It was definitely quite noticeably slower when I wasn't using the IPCop box. Well worth a dollar a week imho. :)

gletob
June 10th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Does this mean that the "Wifi Router with Bridging" simply acts like a switch? Or does it create an entire new LAN behind it?

Acts like a switch.

whiskeylover
June 10th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Cool. Do let me know the network setup once you accomplish it, because I'm also looking to do something similar (ie. extending the wifi range into my basement.)

gletob
June 10th, 2010, 10:17 PM
BTW, Thank you for the IPCop suggestion but that won't work in the particular space I need it.

Cool. Do let me know the network setup once you accomplish it, because I'm also looking to do something similar (ie. extending the wifi range into my basement.)

I'm now thinking I'll go with DD-Wrt, if I kind find something compatible at Best Buy with my Gift Card.