PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions Please

DanielWaterworth
June 10th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Hi Everyone,

I've been programming for a number of years and recently I've started blogging. I've found many answers to (usually hardware configuring) questions on these forums and so to give a little back to the community I'd like to write a post on my website on a topic (or two) decided by the community. I'm looking for suggestions. I'm most competent in python and C++, but I'll write about anything I understand. So if you've ever wondered what meta types do in python or how to make bloom filters in C++, I'd like to hear from you.

Cue the flood.

James78
June 10th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I'm sure lots of people could benefit from help converting data types easily and efficiently in C++, as we all need to do that somewhere or sometime.

Perhaps, also, good programming practices, how to fix common errors, maybe cover a few standard topics (pointers, null characters, terminating strings, etc.)

BoneKracker
June 10th, 2010, 10:45 PM
How about the anticipated impact (if any) of the new C++ standard on the Linux world?

How about "Effectively leveraging C/C++ libraries and applications in Python".

How about "Why [Perl|Ruby|Java|Mono] sucks and you should avoid it all costs." :p

soltanis
June 11th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Or why C++ is considered harmful.

DanielWaterworth
June 11th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Or why C++ is considered harmful.
That really depends on whether you're sanity is important to you [=

These are all great suggestions, I'll pick a favourite or 2 and write them up over the weekend so the deadline is midnight Friday GMT.

BoneKracker
June 11th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Remember, my final suggestion (indicated by :p ) is guaranteed to bring in the most web hits (and death threats).

nvteighen
June 11th, 2010, 02:19 PM
"What has programming meant and means for me" (i.e. you)

It's always nice to share personal experience. You could encourage people to take a look at the art of programming :)

DanielWaterworth
June 16th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I've written up the article. You can find it here: http://active-thought.com/blog/17/ . I may write another using other ideas in this thread.

simeon87
June 16th, 2010, 09:40 AM
If you write about this, I'll be sure to read it, for practical reasons:

How to speed-up Python applications?
Why is 'append' of gtk.ListStore sooo slow with lots of data (10k already)?
How to profile C extensions of Python applications?

DanielWaterworth
June 16th, 2010, 11:26 AM
If you write about this, I'll be sure to read it, for practical reasons:

How to speed-up Python applications?
Why is 'append' of gtk.ListStore sooo slow with lots of data (10k already)?
How to profile C extensions of Python applications?

I have an idea for the last question using a profiling interface layer. I think I can write it.

edit: I've done it and written about it, it's here http://active-thought.com/blog/18/

simeon87
June 16th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I have an idea for the last question using a profiling interface layer. I think I can write it.

edit: I've done it, it'll appear on my blog soon

Cool! :) But be careful not to rush things. In particular if you want to drive traffic to your website, it's better to create articles with extensive valuable content. I'm not saying that they currently aren't but sometimes you'd need to research what the topic is about exactly.