PDA

View Full Version : Iphone 4

limestone
June 10th, 2010, 04:53 PM
What do you guys think about the coming Iphone 4??
And who thinks Ubuntu should make a distro for pad/slates?

I myself are very interested in the new Iphone and think I will buy one when it's out,
I also see the pads entering the market very useful in some cases.

DISCUSS! =)

alfamud
June 10th, 2010, 07:11 PM
i saw the news when they relese it... and u know what i hate the most? apple make amazing advertaising videos.... they ttl buy me with the iphone 4 vid..

multitask is just outstanding... 5mpx cam ivideo, omg this iphone is so complete... im just waiting for the relese of the update, so i can taste the software b4 buying... im from costa rica so i have to wait a bit more to buy it...

wewantutopia
June 10th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Screw Apple. I will NEVER buy ANY of their products. Android and this current and next generation phones running it FTW.

xc1024
June 10th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Is your old phone not fashionable anymore? Everyone's got identical one to yours? iPhone 4, your cage just became more golden and even more hip.
Apple. Think different.

That's what the advert for it should be like. Also, Apple is a parasite. They take several years-old technology, recycle or clone it and then advertise as their latest innovational breakthrough. All for only 700 + 17.5% VAT + 50/month. As if that's not disgusting enough, you are subject to severe forced vendor lock-in, shovel-loads of crappy 10-minute entertainment apps and still no hardware keyboard. Yuck, I'm not buying anything with i- prefix at least for another 4 years.

Daycare
June 10th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Screw Apple. I will NEVER buy ANY of their products. Android and this current and next generation phones running it FTW.

+1

Never ever going to touch anything Apple make, wont even have my Mrs' i-pod connected to my laptop.

squilookle
June 10th, 2010, 09:46 PM

+1

Apple are not for me. I'm happy with my Android phone.

Hope Android keeps up with/exceeds the improvements to this new phone.

TheNerdAL
June 10th, 2010, 09:49 PM

Without Apple, there would not be no phones like EVO 4G and Nexus One and other smart phones that have a large touch screen display. Apple revolutionized that. So don't hate, appreciate. :)

whiskeylover
June 10th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Without Apple, there would not be no phones like EVO 4G and Nexus One and other smart phones that have a large touch screen display. Apple revolutionized that. So don't hate, appreciate. :)

Large screen PDAs have been in existence for some time now. I have this Palm IIIc and its display is huge.

Huge displays for smartphones were inevitable. Once people started using touchscreen smartphones, they'd eventually want more screen real estate.

Giant Speck
June 10th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I still want it.

xc1024
June 10th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Apple advertised that.

There, fixed it for you.

Shazzam6999
June 10th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I could not care less.

In six months they'll have some other new amazing piece of technology that everyone must buy (well 2 months in the iPad's case). Apple, for me at least, basically embodies the consumer culture that is infecting the world currently. I would rather support Microsoft, although I haven't paid Microsoft for anything in years. At least Microsoft is clearly a business, whereas Apple sits their and pretends to be different yet throws all of its customers under the bus every chance it has to make a few bucks. I used to love Apple until they broke my heart :confused:.

Plus the phone just doesn't seem like anything special.

JDShu
June 10th, 2010, 10:06 PM
It looks awesome, but I won't get it so it doesn't matter.

McRat
June 10th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Let's see...

Already have a phone.
Already own a better camera than a i4 provides.
Already own a computer that multi-tasks.
Already have a nicer screen on a web-browser.

For Apple to sell me a newer iPhone, they will have to work at it:

Give me a choice of carriers.
Make the videophone an Open Specification. At a minimum, my phone should be able to videoconference to any PC, but ideally is should work on most models of smartphones.
Video conference must be 3G/4G, not WiFi only.
Tethering should be included in the data package at no additional charge. I'm buying bandwidth, I'll decide how I use it.

So I'll skip the 4.0.

I really, really, REALLY want the ability to do portable videoconferencing. It's not just for p0rn anymore!

The ability to see what a customer sees is invaluable for businesses.

Now, the Dream Phone Spec:

GPS should send my coordinates to a caller with a on/off option. Keylocked with parental control.
Peer-to-Peer chat - Family Radio, for areas with poor coverage, it can be walkie-talkie.
If I click on any 7 digit or 10 digit number on a webpage or email, it should ask if I want to call.
Car Mode: I give it directions to drive to, and it talks me to my destination.
USB support - needs a USB port on the phone with no adapter.
5.8 MIMO WiFi.
Screen the size of the new Dell phone.
Ability to upload and download files from vB forum websites (attachments).
And of course, platform independent PVC (personal video calling).
The PVC should automatically switch to voice only when the receiving system doesn't support it.

madnessjack
June 11th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Trumps the current generation of Android phones in some respects. Looks nice and will probably be really easy to use. I hate Apple though so I'd rather use a phone without a screen at all for the rest is my life than one of them.

cartman640
June 11th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I think I'll buy one for the screen alone. That density is awesome.

Give me a choice of carriers.
That's AT&T, here in New Zealand (and most other countries the iPhone is sold in) the phones are unlocked, mine works just fine on any of the carriers here.

Make the videophone an Open Specification.
It is (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FaceTime)

Video conference must be 3G/4G, not WiFi only.
Agreed, I imagine that will come in later OS updates. For video conferencing before that over 3G, I imagine Skype will be updating their app to include video, already works over 3G.

Tethering should be included in the data package at no additional charge. I'm buying bandwidth, I'll decide how I use it.
Once again, that's an AT&T limitation, tethering is free here and has been for a long time.

Now, the Dream Phone Spec:

GPS should send my coordinates to a caller with a on/off option. Keylocked with parental control.
Applications exist to do this already, one of them being Google Latitude, this obviously isn't part of a call but I'm not sure it's possible to send that through a voice call? Good idea for a data only 4G network though

Peer-to-Peer chat - Family Radio, for areas with poor coverage, it can be walkie-talkie.
Awesome idea, want that.

If I click on any 7 digit or 10 digit number on a webpage or email, it should ask if I want to call.
iPhone does this already.

Car Mode: I give it directions to drive to, and it talks me to my destination.
Plenty of those apps around...

USB support - needs a USB port on the phone with no adapter.
Agreed, at least a micro USB port anyway

Sounds like the iPhone is half way there to your dream phone :p

sudoer541
June 11th, 2010, 02:20 AM
I personally dont care how my phone looks like etc...
I only care about my service plan.
You guys/gals cant believe what my bro told me today.
[panicking] My bro from Toronto gets free unlimited provincial incoming and outgoing calls with WIND Mobile for only $35. I am shocked and jealous right now! :o:-x[panicking]

madjr
June 11th, 2010, 02:30 AM
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/17/2010/06/500x_android-v-iphone.jpg

check lifehacker iPhone vs. Android Showdown

http://lifehacker.com/5559357/iphone-vs-android-showdown-which-phone-is-best-for-power-users

LMP900
June 11th, 2010, 05:03 AM

Agreed. We'd still be stuck with phones only a little better than what we had 3 years ago. However, without Android, webOS, and improvements to other mobile operating systems, the iPhone would have seen little change over the years. Instead of the hate coming from both sides, we should be glad to see fierce competition in this market.

As for a reply to the original topic, I'm excited about this new phone. The pixel density sounds amazing though I'll have to see it for myself before making any decisions. I'm also considering a Dell Streak but that may be a bit too large.

pwnst*r
June 11th, 2010, 05:09 AM
Large screen PDAs have been in existence for some time now. I have this Palm IIIc and its display is huge.

Huge displays for smartphones were inevitable. Once people started using touchscreen smartphones, they'd eventually want more screen real estate.

For once, NerdAl is correct in every way. Smartphones wouldn't be this far along and you would NOT have this much competition if it weren't for the iPhone.

sandy8925
June 11th, 2010, 05:12 AM
The iphone SUCKS. it's a complete piece of **** thanks to the restrictions by Apple. the phone is pretty powerful and has plenty of potential but thanks to Apple it sucks big time.

and for those who don't know it is possible to hack the iphone and install android on it! you can find out about it by searching.

v1ad
June 11th, 2010, 05:20 AM
check lifehacker iPhone vs. Android Showdown

http://lifehacker.com/5559357/iphone-vs-android-showdown-which-phone-is-best-for-power-users

ill disagree with that review. i just played with the new evo from sprint, and this i noticed off hand right away. way faster online browsing, flash player is a bonus.
keyboard is large and very easy to use ( they should use a better android model the older ones where still beta.

battery life we will see when the product comes out.

hdmi port? the evo already has it and it is in use already.

not supporting steve jobs behavior to society? +++++++++++++++

sandy8925
June 11th, 2010, 05:26 AM
why the iphone sucks:

1. inability for user to run multiple programs at the same time and switch between them. even my nokia n70 (2005 phone) can do this.

2. can only install programs from appstore - biggest mistake apple made.

3. can only be synced with itunes - so linux users don't have an easy way to load songs and videos on to the iphone

McRat
June 11th, 2010, 05:37 AM
It is (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FaceTime)

No, not yet, they "say" they will, but apparently did not. That will delay things a long time. It won't even VC to a MacBook Pro, or older iPhones. Right now, they want to sell the new phones.

Sending the GPS code is a no-brainer. It's only a small amount bytes of data. Yes, there are clumsy ways of doing this today. But for PVC, this will be even more important, as the location info can be really significant to what you are seeing on the screen, like construction projects.

What I don't get is the FaceTime name. Don't they understand that seeing people's faces is "fun", but you can really do "work", that is make more profits, by using this kind of technology. Troubleshooting, purchasing, clarifying, verifying, etc. This will be the next big jump in business communications akin to the Fax machine.

I love my 3Gs, and I'd REALLY love to have a PVC device. I'm not sure the i4 will be a workable solution to that need. It might in the future, but that's a ~$1000 phone. That's a bit pricy if it doesn't deliver.

KiwiNZ
June 11th, 2010, 05:57 AM
iPhone 4 will be a huge success with out doubt.
Nice looks , good specs , and on my buy list.

pwnst*r
June 11th, 2010, 06:35 AM
why the iphone sucks:

Can you expand on this before I keel over in laughter?

formaldehyde_spoon
June 11th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Can you expand on this before I keel over in laughter?

Obviously what he means is you can't install an app not approved by Apple without jailbreaking.

The iPhone4 looks nice, but apart from the screen resolution nothing is particularly outstanding, so I doubt it will take long to become second rung.

madjr
June 11th, 2010, 09:17 AM
ill disagree with that review. I just played with the new evo from sprint, and this i noticed off hand right away. Way faster online browsing, flash player is a bonus.
Keyboard is large and very easy to use ( they should use a better android model the older ones where still beta.

Battery life we will see when the product comes out.

Hdmi port? The evo already has it and it is in use already.

Not supporting steve jobs behavior to society? +++++++++++++++

+1

madjr
June 11th, 2010, 10:33 AM
before anyone thinks that i4 is the end to the smartphone race than you may be surprised that Android phones are going to counter attack twice as hard now:

HTC Scorpion monster (http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-scorpion-monster-runs-android-22-15-ghz-snapdragon-processor)

samsung super AMOLED still better than apples screen (http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-defend-super-amoled-over-steve-jobs-iphone-4-display-snub-1089234/)

Motorola tegra2 superphone (http://www.knowyourcell.com/news/506110/motorola_to_launch_2ghz_android_phone_in_2010.html )

GamePad64
June 11th, 2010, 10:45 AM
IPhone on Linux forum? LOL :D
Apple boys, go to Mac forums. True Linux-guys use Android. IMHO.

Metrop021
June 11th, 2010, 10:48 AM
yeah i really hate apple, but iphones look like the only thing they sell that isn't a complete ripoff. but i'd rather buy a droid anyday (because of my intense hate of apple).

andras artois
June 11th, 2010, 11:22 AM
And who thinks Ubuntu should make a distro for pad/slates?

oh hai 2011 canonical plans (http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/11/canonical-making-full-fledged-ubuntu-tablet-push-in-early-2011/)

pwnst*r
June 11th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Obviously what he means is you can't install an app not approved by Apple without jailbreaking.

The iPhone4 looks nice, but apart from the screen resolution nothing is particularly outstanding, so I doubt it will take long to become second rung.

And exactly how is that the "biggest mistake Apple made"?

formaldehyde_spoon
June 11th, 2010, 03:14 PM
And exactly how is that the ''biggest mistake Apple made''?

That would be an opinion, so neither right nor wrong, and not mine.

sydbat
June 11th, 2010, 04:14 PM
For once, NerdAl is correct in every way. Smartphones wouldn't be this far along and you would NOT have this much competition if it weren't for the iPhone.Whether I like it or not, I have to agree with you. While Blackberry was setting the original pace, Apple pushed everyone into the next level. Still wouldn't buy an iPhone though.

Also, I know people who go that extra step and drink the kool-aide supplied by Apple (yes, there is an Apple cult...and it is more that mere "fanboi-ism". Fortunately, most people do not go this far). Steve Jobs can do no wrong and asking anything that questions their belief in Apple/Jobs returns unreal vitriol. These same people are planning to toss their current iPhone just to get this new one. Most just got their iPhone in the last 6 months too.

LMP900
June 11th, 2010, 04:22 PM

Yeah, they don't use Maemo, webOS, or MeeGo. I suppose "true Linux guys" only use Ubuntu as well?

zekopeko
June 11th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Whether I like it or not, I have to agree with you. While Blackberry was setting the original pace, Apple pushed everyone into the next level. Still wouldn't buy an iPhone though.

Also, I know people who go that extra step and drink the kool-aide supplied by Apple (yes, there is an Apple cult...and it is more that mere "fanboi-ism". Fortunately, most people do not go this far). Steve Jobs can do no wrong and asking anything that questions their belief in Apple/Jobs returns unreal vitriol. These same people are planning to toss their current iPhone just to get this new one. Most just got their iPhone in the last 6 months too.

Replace Apple with Linux/FOSS and you have people behaving similarly. Fanaticism/zealotry is damaging to any cause.

sydbat
June 11th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Replace Apple with Linux/FOSS and you have people behaving similarly. Fanaticism/zealotry is damaging to any cause.True enough.

McRat
June 11th, 2010, 04:59 PM
As bad as it sounds, fanatics run the world, and that's a good thing.

The minute the fire in your belly dies to a simmer, is when inspiration dies too.

Linux would not exist if it weren't for fanatical people driving it. They didn't do it for money, or if they did, they didn't succeed.

Keep in mind I consider both Mother Theresa and Bill Gates as fanatics.

A fanatic is someone who's opinion cannot be swayed from their chosen path, and are willing to act on it.

A silly comedy movie, City Slickers said it best:

"What's the secret to life?"

"One thing."

"What's the one thing?"

"That's for you to find."

RiceMonster
June 11th, 2010, 05:04 PM
A fanatic is someone who's opinion cannot be swayed from their chosen path, and are willing to act on it.

I prefer to think of a fanatic as someone who is unreasonably, and often agressively dedicated to their chosen path.

McRat
June 11th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I prefer to think of a fanatic as someone who is unreasonably, and often agressively dedicated to their chosen path.

Difference in opinion is all. I'd call that kind of person a militant. Somebody willing to wage "war" for a cause on an individual level.

Roasted
June 11th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Maybe I'm just sippin the haterade, but I honestly couldn't give any lesser of a **** about the iPhone, Apple, iPod, or anything else that company does.

sydbat
June 11th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Maybe I'm just sippin the haterade, but I honestly couldn't give any lesser of a **** about the iPhone, Apple, iPod, or anything else that company does.Mmmmm...haterade...=P~

Roasted
June 11th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Mmmmm...haterade...=P~

I like my Ubuntu on my computers, my Sandisk mp3 player that is cheap and works just fine, and my Nokia cell phone.

I like using technology that doesn't drive me insane. iTunes, DRM, nazi driven leadership, patent trolls suing everybody. Ef that.

sydbat
June 11th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I like my Ubuntu on my computers, my Sandisk mp3 player that is cheap and works just fine, and my Nokia cell phone.

I like using technology that doesn't drive me insane. iTunes, DRM, nazi driven leadership, patent trolls suing everybody. Ef that.I agree. My technology should do what I want it to do, not what some company/special interest group wants it to do.

khelben1979
June 11th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I'm not against Linux support for this new product, but I sure would not buy one this year..

Expensive toys like the IPhone is like most other toys when it hits the ground, it brakes. I just prefer more solid things.

pwnst*r
June 11th, 2010, 08:29 PM
That would be an opinion, so neither right nor wrong, and not mine.

Exactly, so don't bother answering my original question then.

formaldehyde_spoon
June 12th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Exactly, so don't bother answering my original question then.

Your original question quoted a fact and an opinion. I replied re. the fact, not the opinion.

pwnst*r
June 12th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Your original question quoted a fact and an opinion. I replied re. the fact, not the opinion.

You pointed out the obvious.

Congratulations.

BslBryan
June 12th, 2010, 02:31 AM
I hate Microsoft threads and replies are frowned upon, glad to see that nobody's taken care of the Apple equivalent.

Anyway, I like the new OS, and phone. I'll get it when it's not so new, probably.

jperez
June 12th, 2010, 05:46 AM

I disagree. REAL Linux people use the Nokia N900 or, like me, the older model tablets like the N8x0 and N770. Maemo Linux based off Debian. N900 is using OpenGL ES 2.0 and it's beautiful. People have already ported over whole distributions to these ARM-based devices.

MeeGo will send the iPhone running and be a brother to Android. Nokia is turning out Linux stuff and was doing so before Google came out with the G1. OS2005 for the N770. Speaks for itself. :p

I pland to buy an N900 once I have the cash.

Yeah, they don't use Maemo, webOS, or MeeGo. I suppose "true Linux guys" only use Ubuntu as well?

I love you lol

Jesse~

Riffer
June 12th, 2010, 07:39 AM
I'm sure the new iPhone is a great piece of hardware but I never buy anything Apple, I don't like the way they do business. Also to tell you the truth if I was in the market for a cell phone it would be about total cost, upfront and monthly.

And yet again I really don't see a need for a new style cell phone with all their gadgets and widgets. I don't need to be able to "reach out and touch someone" 24/7, I can generally find a phone if i really need one. I don't need a GPS, I can read a map and street signs. And where it would come in handy there is no network available. A good Mp3 player is less the $70. And my little Cybershot works well so i really don't need another camera. Internet? Stepping away is a good thing. Games? I can keep myself amused.

So whatever phone I would get would be darn cheap and pretty limited. But hey thats me.

bigsmitty64
June 12th, 2010, 08:43 AM
why the iphone sucks:

1. inability for user to run multiple programs at the same time and switch between them. even my nokia n70 (2005 phone) can do this.

3. can only be synced with itunes - so linux users don't have an easy way to load songs and videos on to the iphone

1.I believe thats changed in v4 (I might be wrong though)
2.I WISH I could make a mistake that made me that much money :)
3. I sync my (8 gig iphone 3g) music with rythmbox daily. That was a big step for Lucid

Don't get me wrong I'm not any huge Apple guy here, I just drank the koolaid when they first came out. I will not buy another iPhone. I mean it's cool and all, but I don't like being tied to ATT, and I don't like where they (Apple)are going period. Mainly the mightier than thow attitude.

NCLI
June 12th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I don't want or need an iPhone, neither does anyone else. The HTC EVO is better in every single way, apart from display resolution, and motorola says there'll be a 2 GHz android handset out before 2011, so I'm just waiting for that.

Apple can go stick their golden cage/iOS up their ***.

K.Mandla
June 12th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I won't be escaping the limitations of Microsoft only to accept the limitations of Apple, thank you very much.

Dr. C
June 12th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I won't be escaping the limitations of Microsoft only to accept the limitations of Apple, thank you very much.

Actually the limitations of Apple are far far worse. So it is literally jumping out of the frying pan at a very low setting, Microsoft, into the flames of a very hot fire, Apple.

pwnst*r
June 12th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I don't want or need an iPhone, neither does anyone else. The HTC EVO is better in every single way, apart from display resolution, and motorola says there'll be a 2 GHz android handset out before 2011, so I'm just waiting for that.

Apple can go stick their golden cage/iOS up their ***.

Nobody needs an Evo either. Stop kidding yourself.

JDShu
June 12th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Nobody needs an Evo either. Stop kidding yourself.

:lolflag:

sydbat
June 12th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Nobody needs an Evo either. Stop kidding yourself.Yup. People always think 'needs' and 'wants' are the same thing.

aysiu
June 12th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Yup. People always think 'needs' and 'wants' are the same thing.
I see this a lot in discussions about how Linux "needs" more games.

Nobody needs games.

formaldehyde_spoon
June 13th, 2010, 04:55 AM
You pointed out the obvious.

Congratulations.

As did you. Congratulations.

You asked for an explanation of the quote. I explained the fact. The opinion requires no explanation.

pwnst*r
June 13th, 2010, 05:18 AM
As did you. Congratulations.

You asked for an explanation of the quote. I explained the fact. The opinion requires no explanation.

I wanted that poster's explanation, not yours.

Thanks though.

MichaelRX8
June 14th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Loving my HTC EVO so far!

formaldehyde_spoon
June 14th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I wanted that poster's explanation, not yours.

Thanks though.

Explanation of a fact is right (or wrong) regardless of who gives it.

You're welcome.

pwnst*r
June 14th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Explanation of a fact is right (or wrong) regardless of who gives it.

You're welcome.

Except I wanted his "explanation".

Thanks again for playing.

formaldehyde_spoon
June 14th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Except I wanted his ''explanation''.

Thanks again for playing.

Perhaps a PM to him would have been more appropriate then.

phoenixflames
June 14th, 2010, 03:12 PM
The best time to get the new iPhone is when no one wants it. I have a theory that Apple took some jailbreaking ideas and put them in the new os.

pwnst*r
June 15th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Perhaps a PM to him would have been more appropriate then.

Nope, that's why I quoted him. But you can PM me anytime, big boy.

Mollusssc
June 15th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I like the new iPhone. Wasn't sure at first but it has grown on me, ill probably get when the price drops a bit :P

The best time to get the new iPhone is when no one wants it. I have a theory that Apple took some jailbreaking ideas and put them in the new os.
I think so too! Especially the wallpapers and folders thing.

Giant Speck
June 15th, 2010, 09:02 PM
This whole pre-order mess is giving me a headache.

AT&T's website isn't even working and Apple's website wants to sell the phone to me for the no-commitment price instead of the early upgrade price.

cariboo
June 15th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Please keep on topic, or the thread will be closed.

formaldehyde_spoon
June 16th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Nope, that's why I quoted him. But you can PM me anytime, big boy.

If you make public requests, you're going to have to get used to public answers.