PDA

View Full Version : Help with shell script

smitty92
June 10th, 2010, 04:31 PM
ok so i made a shell script that copys some files and i would like to know how to make it show me what it is coping, right now all it does is tell me when its done, i would like to see the actual copying process if thats possible
also id like it to check and see if it has enough room if thats possible with a script,
command is just simply cp -n -r (dir) (destination)

geirha
June 10th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Add the -v option to cp, and cp will tell you what it's doing.

Checking if there is enough space is not bullet-proof. You might have enough space before you start copying, but some other program may be using up space while the copy is going on and you end up with a full filesystem anyway. Then again, if there's not enough space to start with, there's no point in beginning the copy, so this may give you some clues: http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ/094

conundrumx
June 10th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Put

set -x

After the shebang (or before any commands you want to see.)

jimhenry
June 10th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Put

set -x
After the shebang (or before any commands you want to see.)

For debugging a shell script, I generally put

set -xv
at the beginning and

set +xv
at the end -- if you leave off the latter, you'll still have the x and v verbosity options turned on while you're in interactive mode when the script is done, which is usually not what you want. But that's not a substitute for giving the -v (verbose) option to various commands the shell script is calling in turn.