PDA

View Full Version : Cannot get 3D support with NVIDIA card

hitmyspot
June 10th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I have made a fresh install of 64-bit Ubuntu on a Sony F series laptop (specs at http://www.sony.com.au/product/vpcf116fg ). I cannot get the proprietary nvidia drivers to function correctly.

When booting up, the splash screen loads in low def, but then I get a error message. It alternates, between saying that a device has failed to load. Sometimes it is 'nvidia', sometimes 'display device unspecified'. It varies as I have made changes based on other postings.

I have tried removing and reinstalling in synaptic, in hardware drivers, through display settings, manually through terminal and also by using the nvidia package from their website manually after shutting down X. All of this has failed and I cannot find any other options on the forums.

I am suspicious that there is a problem with the screen settings as when I use basic drivers the resolution is wrong and part of the desktop is not displayed. None the available resolutions displays correctly. It is only in recovery mode that I can see the entire screen. This makes navigation difficult as I cannot see options that need to be selected to change settings.

At times it says that the driver is initialised but not in use, similar to what others have posted when they have similar problems. However none of the fixes have worked for me.

Any help would be appreciated. I have successfully installed ubuntu previously but that laptop died last year. However, I am still very much a newbie.