PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] GDM: logging on locally without entering password?

trusktr
June 10th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Any idea how to log a user in without a password in GDM?

I've found this archived thread but it doesn't appear to do anything when I tried what it says:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=12777&page=2

I'm not looking for auto-login. I'd simply like one user to be able to click on his name and it will log in without prompting for a password.

Thanks!

kerry_s
June 10th, 2010, 12:28 PM
adminstration-> users & group

but, after the last update using it makes the panels take forever to load.

towheedm
June 10th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Set automatic login. Click on Administration => Login Screen and set the user to be automatically logged in after x seconds.

Oops. Just read the last part of the post. There is a way to set a null password for a user. Search the forums, it's there somewhere.

trusktr
June 15th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Set automatic login. Click on Administration => Login Screen and set the user to be automatically logged in after x seconds.

Oops. Just read the last part of the post. There is a way to set a null password for a user. Search the forums, it's there somewhere.

Hey, thanks Kerry_s, but when i tried this, it didn't work! User and Groups would show "password: not asked at login" but it would still ask me.

Turns out that with my distro (Arch Linux) they have forgotten a line in /etc/pam.d/gdm that tells PAM to skip the password requirement for users who are in the "nopasswdlogin" group:

# The following line allows users to log in via GDM, without entering their password, if they are in the nopasswdlogin group. Make sure this comes before the first pam_unix line (needs confirmation)!
auth sufficient pam_succeed_if.so user ingroup nopasswdlogin

But yeah, I also noticed that after i fixed it the panels were taking ridiculously long to appear!... They still take the same amount of time to load, but for some reason they won't pop out for a long time. I was able to deduce this because i have compiz enabled with shadows for my panels, so i could see the shadows sticking out from the edges of the screen until the panels finally popped out.

I'm filing a bug at gnome.org!