PDA

View Full Version : Is the Desktop dieing in your world to?

HappinessNow
June 10th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Without getting to esoteric on the subject matter I have been thinking in approximate percentages; what are the approximate percentages you use a desktop compared to a laptop, netbook, tablet, smartphone, etc.

Smartphone (Google Nexus One ATT 3G version): 90%

Laptop/Tablet (Convertible ): 8%

Desktop: 2%

The year of Linux on the desktop may never come because the desktop may be dieing, with the Android phones, iPad, netbooks,Google TV, etc. The big behemoth on the desk gets little usage these days.

I suspect many strong Linux users may use the desktop computer more but I am not sure and curious to see your approximations in percentage of overall usage; just for fun, of course.

Elfy
June 10th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Don't have a laptop - won't have a smartphone.

Desktop 100%

NightwishFan
June 10th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I am a laptop guy, but this is my first one this year. I need something mobile since I am on the go a lot. I do not want something so specifically mobile as a netbook or smartphone. That just seems like a gadget.

Dustin2128
June 10th, 2010, 07:29 AM
I'm waiting for a new desktop, so I use the laptop 100% of the time (internet plan for mobile phones is far too expensive) of course, I've been spoiled and wouldn't go back save for the superior hardware. By spoiled, I mean I can sit down in an armchair for computing and don't have to develop hemorrhoids :lolflag:

lostinxlation
June 10th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Some people need a larger display, better keyboard and more powerful machine that can disspate the heat.

bigsmitty64
June 10th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Desktop: 50%
iPhone: 25%
Laptop 25%

HappinessNow
June 10th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Some people need a larger display, better keyboard and more powerful machine that can disspate the heat.
This statement while may be true gives little clues to your personal approximate percentages of usage.

lostinxlation
June 10th, 2010, 07:38 AM
This statement while may be true gives little clues to your personal approximate percentages of usage.
100% laptop at home
100% desktop at office

blchinezu
June 10th, 2010, 07:41 AM
sold my desktop... got a laptop.. so 99% is the laptop
the rest of 1% is my phone which i use to play minesweeper while i take a dump :)

Phrea
June 10th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Desktops: 100%

seenthelite
June 10th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Been using Laptops 100% since 2000. Mobile phone goes on the internet and home network.

RichardLinx
June 10th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Netbook 100%. Only because I don't currently have any choice in the matter. I would prefer to use a powerful desktop computer with a nice big monitor.

I think desktops will be around for a long time to come though. :)

quirkification
June 10th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I am a laptop guy, but this is my first one this year. I need something mobile since I am on the go a lot. I do not want something so specifically mobile as a netbook or smartphone. That just seems like a gadget.

agreed, im the same. i used to be a big desktop guy and gamer. but then i overclocked a bit too much and fried something. possibly the video card.

i still have that 80 lbs paperweight in my closet for when i have money to fix the problem...ahh sli video card upgrade.

damn 1500 dollar paperweight.

McRat
June 10th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Notebooks have larger keyboards, and bigger screens than before, so we are using more of them. They aren't much more $ than a full desktop today. They plug in with just one cord, and you can add them to the network easy.

I'd say for biz, 75% desktop, 25% notebook.

At home, 50/50.

Things have changed. The new 17" and larger notebooks are getting close to being the same as the All-In-One machines that we use. The line is blurry.

But to get any serious work done, it either has to be a big notebook with a mouse, or a desktop. No small notebooks need apply.

standingwave
June 10th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Desktop: 99%
Smartphone: 1%
Laptop/Tablet: 0%

texpat
June 10th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Desktop: 90%
Laptop: 10%

I produce quite a lot of text and so far nothing beats a desktop for that kind of work.

handy
June 10th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Not at all.

Never will for me.

I can fix desktop machines. Replacing a motherboard in a note/netbook is not really possible for me because I can't access the required components.

I don't need a mobile device (beyond an iPod Touch for my contacts/audio books). I like a LARGE screen, as I've found that the older I get the worse more my eyesight degenerates.

My cave is very comfortable, its even warm in winter (I keep the door closed) due to the IPCop firewall/router headless box, the 24" iMac & the home built Athlon64 3500+ pumping out the heat for me.

We power our house with solar panels so it's not quite as bad as it sounds. ;)

lovinglinux
June 10th, 2010, 10:41 AM
don't have a laptop - won't have a smartphone.

Desktop 100%

+1

-Jeremy-
June 10th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Desktop 70%
Laptop 25%
Smartphone 5%

I actually don't really use my phone for anything else than text messaging, phone calls and the occasional web-browsing in the train. Seriously I could not imagine myself ever not having a desktop PC...

Johnsie
June 10th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I use my netbook for casual stuff, my laptop for testing, a desktop hooked up to the tv for watching films, my desktop for development and my server for well... serving.

To be fair the Desktop is the most capable of all the computers so I can do more on it at the same time. If it could be made alot smaller without affecting the processing capability I would really like that, but at the moment most portable machines are not quite as quick.

VeeDubb
June 10th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I guess you could say it's dieing in my world, but very slowly.

10 years ago - Desktop=100%

4 years ago - Desktop=95%, crappy outdated laptop=5%

2 years ago - Desktop=90%, Smartphone=10%, crappy outdated laptop given to somebody who needed it more than I did.

Today - Desktop=70%, Smartphone=20%, shiny new eeePC 1201n netbook=10% (well, not this week. This week the netbook has been sent back to asus for repair, but last week and next week) :)

leviathan8
June 10th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Desktop 100%. I don't have any other devices :(

del_diablo
June 10th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Laptop 100%..... I use it as a portable desktop most of the time... so its a desktop?

sixstorm
June 10th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I'm hoping to get a Macbook Pro or a really good laptop before the end of next year. At that time I will just use my desktop for gaming and server uses.

Viva
June 10th, 2010, 01:56 PM
No, it is still a toddler here in India.

NCLI
June 10th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Yes, I've felt this recently as well. I simply don't have time to be on my desktop as much as I'd like, because it isolates me from my girlfriend and family, whereas I can use my laptop or smartphone in the livingroom.

I do prefer using my desktop and my three 24" 1080P monitors though, which is why it gets used at all :(

Smartphone 80%
Laptop/Netbook 18%
Desktop 2%

RiceMonster
June 10th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Right now:
Desktop 70%
Laptop 30%

During college:
Laptop 80%
Desktop 20%

Right now I'm either at work using a desktop, or at home using my desktop, though sometimes my laptop while watching TV or something. During college, I'm usally at college using my laptop or at a friend's place doing work also using my laptop.

KdotJ
June 10th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I don't think you can beat a desktop.
I don't even own one, I used to but had to get rid of it due to not having the space for a desk. I currently have a laptop (and a netbook for uni). Don't get me wrong, I think these are fantastic, being able to take them where ever. But I just feel they feels so 'closed'.
Also, in my opinion there is nothing like having a nice desk and big screen and a nice workspace, where you can sit and get on with things

tmette
June 10th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Before college:
Desktop - 100%

During college:
Desktop - 30%
Laptop - 70%

After college:
Desktop - 70%
Laptop - 30%

I guess I should say the first year of college, all I had was the desktop I had before college. Then saved up enough money over a summer job to buy a new Macbook Pro. After college, upgraded the Pro and now have a Nettop running Ubuntu. Decided I didn't need a very powerful desktop since most my computing needs are watching videos, surfing, IMing, email, and web development.

EDIT: I still think people will like to have desktops. Especially more tech-savy people who like to build their own machines. I know probably in another year or so I'll want to build a new machine, it always happens to me. I'll then probably give this nettop to someone else who needs a basic PC. You also still get more for your money out of a desktop, and I don't think that will ever change.

forrestcupp
June 10th, 2010, 02:18 PM
All of the computers we use directly are laptops; we have three of them. We also have one headless desktop that we use indirectly for a print server, magic jack, and PlayOn for the Xbox.

My wife and I both have a pocket pc phone.

I'd say desktops are dying. Best Buy used to have a bunch of aisles of desktops and one small aisle of laptops. Now it's the other way around. Walmart hardly has any desktops at all now.

My mom just bought an inexpensive laptop, and it doesn't have any problem playing Halo: Combat Evolved. I know it's an old game, but it used to push the limits on my souped up desktop when it came out.

MooPi
June 10th, 2010, 02:31 PM
100% Desktop. I own a netbook but it gathers dust. I had a laptop but sold it because it too gathered dust. I feel uncomfortable using a portable device, makes me feel cramped or something. I build all of my computers and it's a bit of a hobby for me and each one serves a purpose or is a test of certain hardware configurations. So you could say I'm a desktop guy through and through.

samalex
June 10th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I use a Desktop 100% at work and my laptop 100% at home. I retired my desktop at home years ago not only because I just didn't have the space for a desk anymore but now'days my wife and I spend most of our time in the living room or other common areas of the house so our laptops stay setup in there.

Honestly I'm not sure why Desktops are still so popular with laptops having about the same power. Unfortunately laptops can't be easily upgraded as desktops can, so I guess that's still one pro for desktops over laptops. But for me it's just too inefficient and clunky to maintain both a personal laptop and desktop.

As for a smartphone, I had a Moto Q a couple of years ago but retired it because I just didn't get much out of it. I'll stick with my inexpensive phone plan and plain ol' flip phone.

Sam

JDShu
June 10th, 2010, 02:59 PM
College:
Laptop 90%
Desktop: 10% (using the ones in the computer lab)

Now:
100% Desktop (my college laptop died, and a desktop was a cheaper replacement.. the computer at work is a desktop too)

Frogs Hair
June 10th, 2010, 03:17 PM
100 % desktop right now , that may change because of college. Even as apps move to cloud they will need a platform run on and everyone one will have a different idea as to what that should be.

LowSky
June 10th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Work use is 55% dekstop / 35% Laptop / 10% Smartphone

Home use is 78% Desktop / 12% HTPC (technally a dekstop) / 9% Smart Phone / 1% Netbook

At school 90% Netbook / 10% Smartphone

chessnerd
June 10th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I don't have a smartphone.

When at college, I use a laptop 100% of the time because I don't have a desktop there.

When I home, it is about 60% laptop, 40% desktop because my laptop is my main computer. However, when I am not in my room (where I keep my laptop) I often hop on one of our three desktops.

The desktop may be dying to the laptop, but there will always be a market for desktop machines for two reasons:

1. More bang for your buck

2. You can customize/build them

The former reason for your "average" folk, the latter for us computer nerds.

rotwang888
June 10th, 2010, 08:48 PM
1. More bang for your buck

2. You can customize/build them

3. When you build your own, you can be sure that all the parts will play nice with Linux and...

4. you don't have to pay Microsoft a Windows license when you're planning to install Linux.

Anyway, 95% Desktop, 5% laptop/netbook.

98cwitr
June 10th, 2010, 09:17 PM
No, I only use desktops. I own neither a smart phone nor a laptop.

Barrucadu
June 10th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Desktop 100%. I used to be a laptop guy but after the mobo died in my last laptop I decided it'd be way more convenient to just build a desktop as when things break I can fix it.

Tomorrow I'm getting a netbook for University, I plan to use it in lectures and when not in my room. So when I start University I'll probably use my netbook more than my desktop.

Breambutt
June 10th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Hah, laptops are toys.

Don't care what the statistics say, I'd gladly be the last person on Earth to use a desktop. Will never have either a smartphone, laptop or other mobile thingies if it's up to me. Probably isn't since they'll eventually stop manufacturing new "regular gear" and certain jobs/hobbies might require a laptop.

Desktop #1: 85%
Desktop #2: 15%

In addition to setting up friends and family their desktops. And "desktop" doesn't necessarily mean a big-butt ATX tower.

aaaantoine
June 10th, 2010, 09:32 PM
This is funny because I just started building a proper desktop workstation due to frustrations with my laptop. Up until now...

Smartphone: 0%
Laptop: 100%
Desktop: 0%

But now that I'm working from my desktop...

Smartphone: 0%
Laptop: 40%
Desktop: 60%

By the way, I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on the desktop (also Windows XP dual boot for gaming). Color me a satisfied Ubuntu customer once again.

Edit:
1. It may well be a long time before I own a smartphone. Among other things, I am waiting for the cellular networks to mature and for service to be less prohibitively expensive.
2. I may eventually retire the laptop in favor of a netbook or tablet. But first thing's first... I have a desktop to continue building up as the paychecks come in. ;)

squilookle
June 10th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I use my Android phone for browsing when I'm bored and not at the computer, and getting phone numbers/addresses from the Internet if I'm out and about.

It is very rared I would attempt any other serious task on my phone, I still use the desktop for that, so, it is far from dead for me.

cariboo
June 10th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I still prefer a desktop:

Desktop 89%
Laptop .5%
Smartphone .5%
Netbook 10%

Warpnow
June 10th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Desktop- 80%
Netbook- 19%
Smartphone- $.01%
Withdrawl- 1.99%

magmon
June 10th, 2010, 10:37 PM
I have 3 laptops and a desktop currently (counting netbooks), and I rarely ever use the desktop. Not because it's big or immobile, but because I simply don't. I have no reason to.

Laptops: 99%
Desktop: 1%
Smart phone: No

Wild_Duck66
June 10th, 2010, 10:53 PM
I use the desktop when I`m alone at home and the Laptop in the kitchen when the soaps are on.

tmette
June 10th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Another disadvantage that I guess dekstops have over laptops is the lack of a battery. It's only happened to me a few times (back in high school) when the power went out and didn't come back on. I would be very upset that I couldn't get back on and chat with my friends.

Maybe I shoudl invest in a battery back-up someday for my desktop?

WinterMadness
June 10th, 2010, 11:10 PM
smartphone and netbook mostly

my laptop used to get 95% of the usage until recently

my desktop i never use. its only there incase i need windows or if my other computers break.

jamathis
June 11th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Laptop: 60%
Netbook: 15%
Smartphone: 25%

I no longer have a desktop, I prefer the mobility of a laptop or netbook.

swoll1980
June 11th, 2010, 01:02 AM
I'm 99% Desktop. The day the desktop dies, I go with it.

Breambutt
June 11th, 2010, 01:12 AM
The day the desktop dies, I go with it.
Well put and very eloquent.

Dr Belka
June 11th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Desktop: 85%
Laptop: 15%

ubunterooster
June 11th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Don't have a laptop - won't have a smartphone.

Desktop 100%
+1

Try upgrading the GPU of your Nexus One :lolflag:

witeshark17
June 11th, 2010, 03:05 AM
I use both. But I really prefer my laptop; it's nice to have full internet in the coffee shop... :guitar:

HappinessNow
June 11th, 2010, 04:01 AM
I use both. But I really prefer my laptop; it's nice to have full internet in the coffee shop... :guitar:Also nice to have full internet anywhere on campus...I like to pull up to a nice park bench in the shade on the quad and use the back rack on my bike as a desk for my laptop and do all my work outside...that was of course until I got my Nexus One now I just pull my computer out of my pocket read the news, check facebook/twitter, read and compose gmail, listen to Pandora, play an occasional game, etc.

These figures from the OP are for home use:

Smartphone (Google Nexus One ATT 3G version): 90%

Laptop/Tablet (Convertible ): 8%

Desktop: 2%

I have a job at school I have 2 laptops and one tablet; I use my Nexus One to clock in and out (remotely or on location if need be)...so approximations at work are:

Tablet 86%
Nexus One 8%
Laptop(s) 6%

julio_cortez
June 11th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Well, I only have a desktop at home. And even here in office everyone has a desktop.
I used to have a notebook I carried with me some time ago but I dropped it (a.k.a. I gave it back to my boss because it was more of a useless weight than a help).
Now, if I use notebooks, they are the ones of customers if I have to configure them, or they belong to some relative of mine.

After all I can say desktop 90%, notebook 10%.

BrokenKingpin
June 11th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Desktop: 95%
Laptop: 05% - I use the laptop on a desk, so it is like using a desktop

Roasted
June 11th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I'd say 50/50. Only because I prefer having a desktop at home since I like being at my work space with two big monitors, sound system, tv, etc.

Then on the flip side I use a laptop at work because of how often I have to run around. If I COULD use a desktop, I would, but being in IT on the run a laptop makes much more sense.

Because of that, I'd say 50/50 between desktop vs laptop. But I very often feel limited on my laptop at work...

oldsoundguy
June 11th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Hard to get a 24" Cinema wide screen in a laptop. And projection eye screens are still a bit down the road for consumers. Hard to get full featured surround sound on a laptop or a phone. Then there is the matter of being able to haul around a couple of TB of storage. Cloud is not that reliable enough yet to rely on IT for your storage and program management.

Really hard to edit photos, videos, music or ANY AV on a laptop or a phone in bad lighting and audio conditions.

So, no, the desktop is not dying in my world one bit!

Then there is the personal factors.
My hands .. too big for a laptop that is designed with women and children in mind (and HATE a touch pad) .. and the keyboard that comes with a phone .. forget that! (I have a plug in keyboard for my PDA that has to be used with a pencil/eraser or the stylus in order to activate the keys .. my finger will not do.)

EarthMind
June 11th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Desktop 100% but planning to buy a laptop in the future

mystmaiden
June 11th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Desktops for me, all the way. I seem to collect the things!