PDA

View Full Version : does anyone *else* start programs with alt-F2 because GUI menus are annoying?

Dustin2128
June 10th, 2010, 06:01 AM
I do, partly because I don't like to use a mouse, partly because navigating through the endless program menus of fluxbox or kde gets annoying.

V for Vincent
June 10th, 2010, 06:25 AM
I voted yes, but I actually use gnome-do. Still, to start up programs, it's the same thing.

Khakilang
June 10th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Nah! Gnome is to good and even replace WIndows. You can just put your favourite apps on the desktop or the panel. No sweat for me.

Dustin2128
June 10th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Nah! Gnome is to good and even replace WIndows. You can just put your favourite apps on the desktop or the panel. No sweat for me.

Yeah, I just don't like using the mouse too much.......

Kdar
June 10th, 2010, 06:37 AM
I guess I more of the mouse user. I had a friend who almost use keyboard for everything he did in his Linux.

Giant Speck
June 10th, 2010, 06:42 AM
I keep the applications I use the most in DockbarX.

But even then, I cannot help but bring up the run command to open gnome-terminal.

Chronon
June 10th, 2010, 06:46 AM
It's my preferred method for commonly used programs. I can switch to a new workspace and start a new program in only a couple of seconds.

PsychoDevon
June 10th, 2010, 06:54 AM
I don't do it necessarily for annoyance-but mostly for accessibility.

It'd just easier to press two buttons and start typing than search through a menu for it.

Minipalmer
June 10th, 2010, 07:05 AM
I said "nay", but I use Gnome-Do, which is similar/better.

NightwishFan
June 10th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Go go ratpoison! I use the mouse sometimes, I prefer my GUI being reminiscent of OS9 or BeOS.

NikoC
June 10th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Most of the time I use the alt-F2 combination...
Just like you said: to me it feels a lot faster than having to scroll through menus, though installing a dock also speeds things up!

NightwishFan
June 10th, 2010, 07:56 AM
What I like about Docky and the Gnome Shell is that when you click a program, it opens the one thats up rather than start a new one like a menu or icon.

lz1dsb
June 10th, 2010, 08:00 AM
I don't have an issue with the menus in Gnome, so a rarely use Alt+F2.

John Bean
June 10th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Yeah, I just don't like using the mouse too much.......

Then I have to ask: why do you waste a vast amount of the machine's resources by loading a GUI in the first place?

V for Vincent
June 10th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Then I have to ask: why do you waste a vast amount of the machine's resources by loading a GUI in the first place?

There's a gigantic difference between the two. I like text-based app startup, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to use a text-based browser on a daily basis. I'm guessing that applies to Dustin, as well.

neoargon
June 10th, 2010, 09:22 AM
No in Ubuntu . Yes in KUbuntu . I finds the kickoff in kde too much time consuming than needed . The classical menu is also not as good as the Gnome menu .

The Real Dave
June 10th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Ya, I often do, but it depends on what program. If I just want gedit or something, I'll use it.

I'm using gmrun by the way :)

And now that I think about it, here's a great blog post (http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/05/09/you-secretly-love-the-command-line-dont-you/) about the Alt+F2

Berk
June 10th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I personally have all my most commonly used apps keybound to the super key + modifier.

W+w for web browser, +f for Thunat, +e for gedit, +t for Terminator etc. etc. Much faster, then the few times I do use something different I don't mind using the menu so much as it seems to be set up fairly efficiently for when I need it, using openbox.

mobilediesel
June 10th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Ya, I often do, but it depends on what program. If I just want gedit or something, I'll use it.

I'm using gmrun by the way :)

And now that I think about it, here's a great blog post (http://kmandla.wordpress.com/05/09/2010/you-secretly-love-the-command-line-dont-you/) about the Alt+F2

I don't know why gmrun isn't the default. Tab-completion is faster than any menu I've ever seen!

-Jeremy-
June 10th, 2010, 10:35 AM
I voted 'yes' but not really because the menu's are annoying, it's just that alt+F2 is faster.

.:PiXiČ:.
June 10th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I use Alt+F2 for starting all my programs, except for "gnome-terminal", which I start with a hotkey.

John Bean
June 10th, 2010, 10:44 AM
There's a gigantic difference between the two. I like text-based app startup, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to use a text-based browser on a daily basis. I'm guessing that applies to Dustin, as well.

I wasn't suggested that. My question was why load something like KDE or fluxbox (those quoted by the OP) then launch apps textually; I should have written "DE" rather than "GUI", that's what I actually meant.

You can run a browser (whatever) in X without having all the overhead of all the other stuff that is loaded by a DE if you're happy to launch everything from a terminal.

VeeDubb
June 10th, 2010, 11:05 AM
For you folks who like to use alt-f2 to launch programs, you should look into a terminal application called guake.

It's in the repos, but I just discovered it recently. It runs in the background full time, but being a terminal app, takes virtually no resources of it's own. You hit whatever hot key you program for it, and it drops down from the top of the screen. You can adjust how far it drops down, and set it to hide automatically as soon as it looses focus.

When you're trying to follow instructions from a webpage, it's an absolute god-send. It's also just as easy as alt-f2, but works for things that require a full terminal also.

Timmer1240
June 10th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I came from Windows xp and 7 Im a mouse guy!I sure do love gnome though Apps Places System its a real well thought out menu Im luving Ubuntu more and more every day now learning new things its a great OS!

standingwave
June 10th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I have launchers for the apps I use most frequently. If there isn't a launcher then I actually use Alt-F1 to bring up the main menu and then cursor keys to find the app (no mousing needed). If it's a program command not in the menu (need to type in) then I will use Alt-F2.

Barrucadu
June 10th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I have a large number of keyboard shortcuts, and always have a terminal open. The only graphical thing I use with regularity is Opera.

t.rei
June 10th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I use alt+f2 or gnome-do

Well actually I have the 'most often used programs' bound to key-kombinations:

Terminal = ctrl+shift c
Root Terminal = ctrl+shift r
Firefox = ctrl+shift f
Nautilus = ctrl+shift d
Thunderbird = ctrl+shift m
Sunbird = ctrl+shift k

and probably some more that I dont even think about right now. ;)

samalex
June 10th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I have my menus fairly customized and the most common apps are setup as panels, which are Firefox, Thunderbird, Pandora One, RhythmBox, VirtualBox, XChat, SCreenshot app, and Terminal.

But for some apps I do use ALt-F2 to start them just like under Windows at work for most apps I do Start > Run and just type the name.

Sam

RiceMonster
June 10th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I always have hot keys for a terminal emulator and a file manager. Everything I open from the menu or gnome-do.

sica07
June 10th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I use only Alt+F2 and some keybindings. No menu. It's fast and simple.

Tristam Green
June 10th, 2010, 03:19 PM
from time-to-time i do.

just like in windows, I use winkey+r to open certain programs and control panel applets.

whiskeylover
June 10th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Gnome-do > Alt-F2