PDA

View Full Version : fedora and ubuntu, together at last.

jdodson
February 11th, 2005, 09:04 PM
ok that title is misleading, but then again so it "microsoft security". i think the last time i checked "microsoft security" was an oxy-moron :-) ok anyways, all windows jokes aside here is an excellent article outlining two gnu/linux distributions i respect(fedora and ubuntu):

http://nerdsyndrome.com/linuxdesktop/index.php

the article states that gnu/linux is larger than just a distributor or project. it is as big as the sum of the collected whole such as the distributor, projects and community.

KiwiNZ
February 11th, 2005, 09:13 PM
A good article. Ubuntu and Fedora are head and shoulders above in the "community" distros , as Mandrake and Suse are in the "commercial" distros.

In my humble opinion

jdong
February 11th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Yay, backports are mentioned! With the new address, too.

Jad
February 11th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Well said, very good article.
one question please..
can we say " Ubuntu Linux 4.10 and Fedora Core 3. These two operating systems"? I think nor ubuntu or fedora are a standalone operating system both are Linux distro, please correct me if I'm wrong.

lmtorr
February 11th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Wonderful! Fedora servers and Ubuntu workstations, both "free as in free beer" and both have a place. This could be a marriage made in heaven. A dream come true.

jdodson
February 12th, 2005, 12:28 AM
Well said, very good article.
one question please..
can we say " Ubuntu Linux 4.10 and Fedora Core 3. These two operating systems"? I think nor ubuntu or fedora are a standalone operating system both are Linux distro, please correct me if I'm wrong.

ubuntu linux 4.10 and fedora core 3 are both operating systems according to these definitions (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&oi=defmore&q=define:Operating+System+(OS)) : if an OS is an abstraction away from the hardware and machine code, then ubuntu or fedora are operating systems. they are also a gnu/linux distribution which is a collection of free software packaged together in an easy to install and use manner. then again not all distros are easy to install or use, so i guess it's just a packaging of free software. then again not all distros are composed of "free" software.... i am going to stop now :roll:

rohandhruva
February 12th, 2005, 08:01 AM
I love both fedora and ubuntu - both are fast and stable. This article just echoes my thoughts :)

I uninstalled ubuntu to try out mepis, but i finf that i liked ubuntu better. Only, the installer does have some corruption on my i810 onboard video card.

However, i wish i could install hoary array4 - since it is quite difficult to update on my slow net connection. I suppose i will wait for shipit..

Rohan.