PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Getting Kubuntu on One CD

corrytonapple
June 9th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I am a newbie to Ubuntu/Kubuntu so this may be a bad question.
Can I fit Kubuntu on one 702mb cd to be used as a live cd?
Thanks for your time.
--Corrytonapple

zvacet
June 9th, 2010, 11:02 PM
I looked here (http://hr.releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/10.04/) and all Kubuntu´s are < 700MB except Kubuntu netbook.

corrytonapple
June 9th, 2010, 11:29 PM
When I googled I came upon http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily/current/

NightwishFan
June 9th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Here is the proper place my friend. I advise you use the bittorrent download if possible.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download

Or if you just need the 32-bit Live CD: http://releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/lucid/kubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386.iso

corrytonapple
June 9th, 2010, 11:48 PM
It says nearly 700MB. Will it expand and not make it fit? Right now I need the desktop version. This CD is not formatted.

NightwishFan
June 9th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Yes, the desktop edition iso will work with any cd or dvd with 700mb. Here is another howto:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

If the disk is blank, you do not need to format it.

corrytonapple
June 10th, 2010, 12:32 AM
One last question: I have a 64 bit processor and Windows 7 (sorry) is 64 bit, so should I get the 64 bit version. I am maxed out at 4GB of memory.
--Corrytonapple

wilee-nilee
June 10th, 2010, 12:38 AM
One last question: I have a 64 bit processor and Windows 7 (sorry) is 64 bit, so should I get the 64 bit version. I am maxed out at 4GB of memory.
--Corrytonapple

Your daily link is for maverick this is very early in the testing so not a good choice, if you want to eventually install. I didn't look at the other links but I wouldn't try anything beyond Lucid, especially if your new to Ubuntu or Linux in general.

corrytonapple
June 10th, 2010, 02:44 AM
When I use the bittorrent does it install kubuntu on my hard drive? I am short on disc space.
--Corrytonapple

NightwishFan
June 10th, 2010, 03:00 AM
You can install the 32-bit or 64-bit with no issues but at 4gb of RAM I advise 64-bit. Torrent is just an alternate download method that is for peer to peer file sharing. It will not install anything, just download the iso.

corrytonapple
June 10th, 2010, 03:05 AM
So will Kubuntu be on my HDD and not usable until it is put on a cd? Where is all the 700MBs going. Is it worth the space?

NightwishFan
June 10th, 2010, 03:11 AM
The 700mb is the CD image. I honestly say Ubuntu is the best 700mb no money can buy. :)

You can delete the .iso image after you burn it to a CD. Ensure you follow the cd burning tutorial I outlined to the letter for a successful experience.

You can run the whole system from the CD, that is why it is called a "live" cd, You can also use the CD to install if you so desire. Generally to a beginner I would recommend the standard Ubuntu desktop, but Kubuntu should be interesting and fun to use as well. The CD will not install by itself. As long as you do not start the installation procedure, you will not harm your installed system.

uRock
June 10th, 2010, 03:16 AM
So will Kubuntu be on my HDD and not usable until it is put on a cd? Where is all the 700MBs going. Is it worth the space?
Yes, download it, then burn it. Once burned you can delete the file from the hard drive. If you are short on hard drive space, then you may have problems installing Kubuntu.

Also, the version you are trying to download is still in testing and it will be full of bugs. I recommend downloading Ubuntu 10.04. from ubuntu.com

NightwishFan
June 10th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Yes, uRock brings up a good point. I would have at least 10gb of space free if you intend to install.

corrytonapple
June 10th, 2010, 02:41 PM
It seems I can install a 700MB file (like Office 2010) and it takes up 1.5 GB of disc space. I thought about it, and I will get Ubuntu instead. If I want a bonus package I can download it. I will probably partion about 50-60GB of space for Ubuntu. Is the partioner in Ubuntu successful most of the time?

uRock
June 10th, 2010, 02:57 PM
It seems I can install a 700MB file (like Office 2010) and it takes up 1.5 GB of disc space. I thought about it, and I will get Ubuntu instead. If I want a bonus package I can download it. I will probably partion about 50-60GB of space for Ubuntu. Is the partioner in Ubuntu successful most of the time?

Yes, the partitioner on the install disk is great. Just make sure you have the 10.04 or older image. 10.10 is in the early phase of development.

corrytonapple
June 10th, 2010, 04:20 PM
When I began the download, the file name was "ubuntu-10.04-desktop-amd64.iso". I dont have a amd processor. Is this still correct?

uRock
June 10th, 2010, 08:10 PM
When I began the download, the file name was "ubuntu-10.04-desktop-amd64.iso". I dont have a amd processor. Is this still correct?

Yup, that's the right image. The reason for AMD getting the spotlight for 64bit is a long story.

corrytonapple
June 11th, 2010, 01:43 AM
I tried the Live CD, and I'm addicted. I began the install and it gave me a time setup crash error on step one, and some other crash error on step four. I have restarted in Witdow$, and will try the install again. I will report on success/fail of install.

NightwishFan
June 11th, 2010, 02:04 AM
Make sure you check the disk for errors. When you try to boot the cd you will see a white logo at the bottom, press ESC, and hit check for errors.

corrytonapple
June 12th, 2010, 04:55 PM
The install went well. The disc was also OK. It beat up Witdow$ with starting problems, so I had to fix that with the restore disc. Anyway, it took about 30 minutes to install, including answering the questions and downloading the files to get a usable desktop. I've gone through and customized every single feature, and its great. Easy to use, similar to a mac with menus and stability and like Witdow$ with issues with flash. Clean interface, neat apps, and easily controlled. Thanks to all that helped get me running!
*User name has been blocked.

NightwishFan
June 12th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I hope you like it it. Please post a new topic for any issues you have. Happy to help! :)

- NWF