PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Internal screen broken, how to permanently turn it off

jobzesage
June 9th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Hi everyone !

I'm enjoying Ubuntu on my EeePC, sadly the other my laptop's screen broke down. I would like to turn my laptop in a "desktop" computer. When an external screen is plugged on the VGA port, I need to hit 4-5 times fn + F8 until my laptop's screen finally turns off and I get the proper resolution on my external screen (mirroring doesn't work as my desktop screen has a bigger resolution than the laptop).

So, every time I turn on the computer, or after it went to sleep, it goes back to the default mirroring mode.

I can also achieve the proper setting with the "Monitors" applet, but the changes doesn't last.

Any idea ???

pytheas22
June 9th, 2010, 07:18 PM
You should be able to do this by editing your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. In modern versions of Ubuntu that file is usually empty by default, because the X server auto-configures itself on-the-fly. However, I'm pretty sure that any values specified in xorg.conf will override X's auto-configured settings.

I'm not sure exactly what you need to put in to disable the internal monitor, but have a look at this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-186581.html). According to that thread, the exact syntax may vary according to which video driver you're using, but on Intel chips, adding something like this to xorg.conf might work:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Default Video Card"
Driver "i810"
Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT,NONE"

With an ATI card, the syntax is apparently more like:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Default Video Card"
Driver "i810"
Option "ForceMonitors" "crt1, nolvds"

Hopefully this will help put you on the right track. Editing xorg.conf is never a fun time (I'm glad the days of having to hack that file are long in the past!), but you can do a lot of powerful things with it once you understand how it works.

Also, keep in mind that you have to restart X (by logging out or running "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart") whenever you edit xorg.conf for changes to take effect.

jobzesage
June 9th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks for your hints !

I gave it a try, but the driver i810 wasn't installed on my Ubuntu. Then I wondered what driver it was actually using. Outside of X, I ran the command X -configure which created a xorg.conf file according to the automatic detection (if I understood it right).

I removed everything related to the input devices, and in the section Device, I added the option "MonitorLayout" (see the code enclosed). That didn't seemed to change anything... boring :-/

Any input on that ?

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
ModelName "Monitor Model"
EndSection

Section "Device"
### Available Driver options are:-
### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
### [arg]: arg optional
#Option "NoAccel" # [<bool>]
#Option "SWcursor" # [<bool>]
#Option "ColorKey" # <i>
#Option "CacheLines" # <i>
#Option "Dac6Bit" # [<bool>]
#Option "DRI" # [<bool>]
#Option "NoDDC" # [<bool>]
#Option "ShowCache" # [<bool>]
#Option "XvMCSurfaces" # <i>
#Option "PageFlip" # [<bool>]
Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT,NONE"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "intel"
VendorName "Intel Corporation"
BoardName "Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller"
BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 1
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 4
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 8
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 15
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

pytheas22
June 9th, 2010, 09:37 PM
i810 is the old driver for Intel video chips. It hasn't been used since Ubuntu 8.04 or so, I think. I should have mentioned that. The new driver is named just "intel", and it's the one you're using.

I'd try adding the line:

Option "ForceMonitors" "Monitor0, nolvds"

in the "Device" section. I'm not sure if this will work, but perhaps.

Also, this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=528361) mentions possibly having an option in BIOS to turn the internal screen off. I've never seen that on any of my laptops, but have you checked there?

jobzesage
June 10th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Oh, that helps to understand a bit what's going on with these drivers, thanks. I'll try it out tomorrow, thank you for your help !