PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Office Live

LoloftheRings
June 9th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Ok, so today I heard about this 'Office Live'. A Microsoft rival of google docs. I'm already using google docs and I love the idea, so why shouldn't I give Office Live a shot?

Well.. This is why: http://workspace.office.live.com/CompatibleShell.aspx

cmon.. serious?

TheNerdAL
June 9th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I hate that! D: Why won't Microsoft allow Linux users to use their stuff?! :/

Troublegum
June 9th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Perhaps you can still use it using a modified user agent string.

murderslastcrow
June 9th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I'm sure there's a way around it, but the requirements are entirely arbitrary, as a few Linux users were on it earlier when it debuted.

This is just shamelessly childish behavior. We can always run Firefox in Wine- both are open source. XD

Still, what's the point Microsoft? You want less users? That seems to be the error behind your tie-in decisions. People aren't even sucked into your services yet before you lock them in... oh wait, that just means you're locking them out.

At least they're not being ninjas anymore. :P How aggravating.

madjr
June 9th, 2010, 07:47 PM
go to skydrive

http://skydrive.live.com/

works there

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/06/microsoft-have-finally-launched-their.html

i don't think i'll install office again in wine/virtualbox, this has enough basic functionality

i'll use open office, google docs and office live if i ever need it (which is more and more rare each day)

ctrlmd
June 9th, 2010, 07:53 PM
i guess they share the same feelings as linux users shares for microsoft :P

sanderd17
June 9th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Oh that's why I can't edit my documents. I believe they support Linux in the paid version, if you have a license.

It doesn't matter to me, I never use word processors, I prefer a simple text editor and when I need markup, there's always LaTeX.

Phrea
June 9th, 2010, 07:54 PM
To use Microsoft Office Live Workspace beta, your computer must meet one of the following requirements:
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6, 7, and 8 running on Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, or Windows Vista. You can download Internet Explorer from the Internet Explorer page.

Just posting the obvious. :P

ctrlmd
June 9th, 2010, 08:04 PM
To use Microsoft Office Live Workspace beta, your computer must meet one of the following requirements:
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6, 7, and 8 running on Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, or Windows Vista. You can download Internet Explorer from the Internet Explorer page.

Just posting the obvious. :P
too lazy to copy the rest ? :P

I'll help with pasting the rest

Mozilla Firefox running on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, or Mac OS X 10.2.x and later. You can download Firefox from the Firefox download page (http://www.firefox.com/).

Safari 3 and 4 on Mac OS X 10.2.x and later.

:lolflag:

eriktheblu
June 9th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Has anyone tried it with Ubuntu? It's entirely possible that it could be compatible, but they just don't bother to mention it due to lack of interest.

Look at the system requirements for most hardware components. How many of them even mention Linux?

If it means anything, I've managed to use Outlook Web Access in Ubuntu through Firefox.

Ric_NYC
June 9th, 2010, 11:30 PM
I'm in shock! :shock:
I didn't expect anything like that from Microsoft.

kamaboko
June 10th, 2010, 01:55 AM
No biggie. I don't use any of the free Google office product apps either.

McRat
June 10th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Are they just sitting back and giggling like schoolgirls?

No link to Safari, no support for Chrome.

Perhaps, but they didn't list Win7 as a compatible O/S.

And it's odd that they would recommend IE6, unless they are doing a crash test.

MCVenom
June 10th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Has anyone tried it with Ubuntu? It's entirely possible that it could be compatible, but they just don't bother to mention it due to lack of interest.

Look at the system requirements for most hardware components. How many of them even mention Linux?

If it means anything, I've managed to use Outlook Web Access in Ubuntu through Firefox.
I don't know if I'm Jesus or something, but I tried it in Firefox on Ubuntu last night and it seemed to be working just fine... no user-agent modifications neccessary. :P

MCVenom
June 10th, 2010, 02:08 AM
i'm in shock! :shock:
I didn't expect anything like that from microsoft.

i know! I mean wow, it works on linux! :D :D ;)

chessnerd
June 10th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Office Live is not the equivalent of Google Docs. It is intended for use with Microsoft Office only.

When you open a document in Office Live it opens up the Microsoft Office program associated with that file. This is why they don't support Linux: because they don't make Microsoft Office for Linux.

On the Office Live page you can:

1. View and print the document with formating.

2. Upload and download documents.

You can't edit anything on the site. The computer you are using must have a copy of Microsoft Office XP or later installed with the Office Live Add-on to directly edit anything.

Honestly, if you want to do that in Linux, use Windows Live SkyDrive. It is a good tool for file storage and does all the same stuff. Office Live is only good if you actually have a copy of Microsoft Office installed on Mac or Windows.

Later, when SkyDrive and Office Live merge, you will finally be able to edit through Microsoft Web Apps. I believe someone posted a picture of the beta...

EDIT: The guy above me did, and it works on Linux! Well done Microsoft, you're finally getting in the game.